Jack Waddington

League restructure

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, IBM said:

I agree with you on this one but if it comes to a vote Uncle Roy has already stated that he would vote against it and other clubs in the lower end of the league will vote the same for their own interest unless the SPFL think Hearts may have a case against them and pressurize clubs to vote yes. 

The interesting thing is that there is more benefit to those lower Prem clubs to expand as it gives them a better chance to stay up. It is more likely the higher clubs torpedoing it as they will not be concerned by that and more concerned about losing a chunk of their pie to accommodate to extra mouths. 

In a perfect world 14/14/16 would be the best that we can hope for as the old firm keep the 4 games and therefor don’t impact the sky deal. Sky don’t care what the structure is as long as they get that. In fact sky would welcome 14 as it keeps the second biggest derby in the top flight and adds the highland too (although doubt it will get tele coverage). My fear is the lower divisions won’t want to add the Highland and lowland so more likely get 14/14/14.

Although permanent would be great why can’t it be temporary to get through this period and if it works then can be kept. If it doesn’t then the status quo can be returned to or another suggestion is made. I hope it does happen but I’m not naive enough to believe it will or have any expectation but we will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

I have some sympathy for your view Lizi.   But I'm afraid the "powers that be" do have an idea of what we want.  The real power here is Sky TV, and their viewing figures show that the Scottish viewing public want to watch The Rangers and Celtic and particularly when they play each other.  They also know that Scots would rather sit at home or in the pub and watch Liverpool or Man Utd or Barcelona than go out and support their local team.  As long  as premiership clubs feel they will be better off with the TV money than without it, then our league structure (at the top end at least) will be dictated by how much the TV companies are willing to pay for what.

 

'Scots' have some of the highest per capita attendances in world football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

That highlights how survival is our single priority. Goodness knows what the structure will be and what our place in it will be. Still more questions than answers and I suspect that will be the case for some time to come.

Heard on the radio earlier that an 18 game Championship starting after Christmas is a possibility too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I follow the logic of that - if things get so bad that we only run one league next year (And ictfc get to be part of it) - things are looking up...?

What about the rest of the teams, what happens to them?

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Satan said:

What about the rest of the teams, what happens to them?

Indeed - what's the point of protecting the top tier clubs and sacrificing all the others? This proposal actually worries me more, what on earth is going through the minds of those running (ruining) our leagues?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has a long way to run yet! 

Ayr want a TWENTY TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (:ohmy:) and Roy Mcgregor seems to be willing to change his mind and BACK Ann Budge's proposal. 

This mess should have been avoided if the CEO of the league stopped pandering to the Old Firm and stupid TV companies! I've said this many times, most fans of the game up here want bigger leagues so that we stop playing each other 4 bloody times a season. 

For me it's 14-14-16 so Kelty and Brora rightly get rewarded with promotion. 

 

It's time that pundits such as Michael Stewart or Darren Fletcher have a say in our game, now I'm not saying we get rid of Neil Doncaster etc but they are not football men! 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

This has a long way to run yet! 

Ayr want a TWENTY TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (:ohmy:) and Roy Mcgregor seems to be willing to change his mind and BACK Ann Budge's proposal. 

This mess should have been avoided if the CEO of the league stopped pandering to the Old Firm and stupid TV companies! I've said this many times, most fans of the game up here want bigger leagues so that we stop playing each other 4 bloody times a season. 

For me it's 14-14-16 so Kelty and Brora rightly get rewarded with promotion. 

 

It's time that pundits such as Michael Stewart or Darren Fletcher have a say in our game, now I'm not saying we get rid of Neil Doncaster etc but they are not football men! 

Twenty team championship? Sorry, are they fecking deluded? No chance that we'd ever have a second division the same size as the English Premier League. That proposal alone would be thrown straight in the bin, which would promptly lit on fire, the ashes hoovered up and chucked into the Clyde. This way I can only see it being a 24/20/20/20 tier system, which, in turn will possibly bankrupt most low tier teams trying to get their stadium up to SPFL Standards with all the mass movements of Highland and Lowland to the new League Two, and the juniors moving up to fill in the massive gaps left. It's never going to work, and the Ayr Chairman is a complete and utter moron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EOojVFPiMNyY0PE3geNTJN8iRrs=.gif

In a sample taken in this very boardroom, a satellite broadcaster found 4 Old Firm games per season!
That's not enough!  We demand MORE Old Firm games! More Old Firm games!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone thinking beyond a top league is being naive. The only reason to reconstruct right now is that Hearts will have TV appeal and they get Edinburgh derbies and if somehow Dundee could be raised up and ICT it would help having a top tier with - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Highland, Dundee, Lanarkshire and Ayrshire derby games - hence the addition of 4 teams to 16. This is what would be needed to get the maximum cash income to those clubs and the game as a whole - its likely social distancing will continue for some time so in addition to the new TV deals alternative streaming & revenue will need to be sought. This is about self preservation at the top, with the others hoping they drip feed some of the money back down the leagues

There is little talk of lower leagues because its pointless spending time setting up for 40/42/44 clubs as the reality of the situation is that many smaller teams may not survive and certainly not be able to run until football is back with supporters - which will not be any time in 2020. ICT are fortunate to be near the top of the Championship and have some (small) appeal for the Highland derby games - but realistically no clubs in the Premiership will care whether lower clubs survive or not - much the same as the big retail chains dont give a fluck about smaller shops. Ultimately if the Scottish football fans want the level of clubs we currently have in existence then its their responsibility to start supporting local teams instead of 'glory hunting' to the OF or only top flight - as this will unlikely happen then everyone just has to be accepting of the consequences

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As expected/hoped, the Budge proposal is 14-14-14 and would result in ICT’s promotion (and survival). Hard to see the top flight clubs voting for it in sufficient numbers though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes far too much sense. Which is why it will be voted down. Clearly having three leagues that can't play any football is better than two leagues. /sarcasm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Yngwie said:

As expected/hoped, the Budge proposal is 14-14-14 and would result in ICT’s promotion (and survival). Hard to see the top flight clubs voting for it in sufficient numbers though.

Top flight clubs might vote for it but the championship clubs won't.  Our name is mud- actually our CEO's name is mud and if it benefits him Championship clubs are less likely to vote for it.  To say our relationships with the other clubs in the Championship are strained is an understatement.  We've also not heard the last of WhatsAppgate either......

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hiro said:

Top flight clubs might vote for it but the championship clubs won't.  Our name is mud- actually our CEO's name is mud and if it benefits him Championship clubs are less likely to vote for it.  To say our relationships with the other clubs in the Championship are strained is an understatement.  We've also not heard the last of WhatsAppgate either......

Exactly, a few of us said this would come back to haunt the club, and sure as feck no one in the Championship will want to see ICT get its way. The club's good name scorched in a matter of weeks.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point taken Hiro but I’d assume every club will vote based on self-interest.
 

If personal grievances do come into play though, they might vote so as not have SG in their boardrooms this season!

 

Edited by Yngwie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the reasons alluded to above and probably some more that we haven't thought of yet, league reconstruction is very unlikely to happen

We should be firmly focusing on what will, in all the circumstances, be an extremely difficult and challenging season in the Championship in very many regards

In the unlikely event that agreement can be reached on reconstruction that would be a very welcome bonus and we can recalibrate then.

For now, we need to stay firmly focused on merely ensuring that the club survives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dougiedanger said:

Exactly, a few of us said this would come back to haunt the club, and sure as feck no one in the Championship will want to see ICT get its way. The club's good name scorched in a matter of weeks.

Possibly. A lot of the championship clubs seem to have a diddy mentality (Ayr comes to mind). And voting to keep hearts in the championship so they can run riot at their grounds must sound a treat to them.

 

Also honorary mention to Elgin who have already confirmed they are voting to deny themselves promotion to league 1. I can understand where Strachan is coming from with his comments now. As i said...diddies

Edited by lightlamp2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's highly unlikely the Save Hearts League reconstruction will get the nod in my opinion. Going by the clubs Sporting Integrity philosophy on voting matters recently surely they will vote no! Surely it's not fair if we get promoted without contesting a play off? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talks start on Monday, let's hope everything goes right, or this whole thing could fall flat on its face. No word when the Championship and League 1/2 are, but as far as I'm aware, L1/2 are all voting in favour of it as long it's a 14,14,14 system.

Screenshot_20200527-171534_Twitter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lightlamp2 said:

Possibly. A lot of the championship clubs seem to have a diddy mentality (Ayr comes to mind). And voting to keep hearts in the championship so they can run riot at their grounds must sound a treat to them.

 

Also honorary mention to Elgin who have already confirmed they are voting to deny themselves promotion to league 1. I can understand where Strachan is coming from with his comments now. As i said...diddies

There are few moves more diddy than hitching your train to the most discredited, self-interested club in Scottish football, in a scheme hatched entirely for their benefit, thereby alienating all your colleagues, and undoing all the good work and goodwill of 25+ years existence in one fell swoop.

Now that's diddy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dougiedanger said:

There are few moves more diddy than hitching your train to the most discredited, self-interested club in Scottish football, in a scheme hatched entirely for their benefit, thereby alienating all your colleagues, and undoing all the good work and goodwill of 25+ years existence in one fell swoop.

Now that's diddy. 

Deary me. If you actually believe we would support null and void thereby costing our club 100K then i don't know what to say. Goodwill DOES NOT EXIST in Scottish Football. Clubs happily voted yes to save their skins and relegate Partick and ruin them financially. The most unjust relegation of all the clubs. They don't care.

Edited by lightlamp2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 9:30 AM, bdu98196 said:

Ultimately if the Scottish football fans want the level of clubs we currently have in existence then its their responsibility to start supporting local teams instead of 'glory hunting' to the OF or only top flight

 

1 hour ago, lightlamp2 said:

Goodwill DOES NOT EXIST in Scottish Football. Clubs happily voted yes to save their skins and relegate Partick and ruin them financially.

Sadly for Scottish football, there are two very true statements.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 11:34 PM, Jack Waddington said:

Twenty team championship? Sorry, are they fecking deluded? No chance that we'd ever have a second division the same size as the English Premier League. That proposal alone would be thrown straight in the bin, which would promptly lit on fire, the ashes hoovered up and chucked into the Clyde. This way I can only see it being a 24/20/20/20 tier system, which, in turn will possibly bankrupt most low tier teams trying to get their stadium up to SPFL Standards with all the mass movements of Highland and Lowland to the new League Two, and the juniors moving up to fill in the massive gaps left. It's never going to work, and the Ayr Chairman is a complete and utter moron.

Lachlan Cameron is a complete and utter bampot. He's also a trump loon. Ayr are a club with no ambition. He said to the record he would be voting against the proposal because its not fair only promoting us. As if his team could ever make it to the premiership with their dump of a stadium anyway. 

 

Clubs like that are dragging Scottish football down.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has common sense left Scottish Football? Lets do what is better for the game!. ie. Saturday afternoons everybody out to watch their team playing instead of watching it on TV. You have to bring spectators back to the game. This is the only way clubs can survive, especially in the lower leagues. As for Celtic And Rangers they have the crowds to survive without TV. Of course we all want the highlights of the games on TV and I am sure they would oblige for a lesser fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now