FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Intertoto Cup...

Johnboy

Intertoto rules state

"Only clubs which finish the domestic championship in the four positions directly below the UEFA Cup places will be eligible to take part in the competition."

so with 2 CL and 2 UEFA slots available, it means we have always needed to finish no worse than eighth ... I wouldnt get too worked up about it however as Hearts will probably end up in the competition .... thats probably why Charlie has already started looking at Denmark, Italy and other options for pre-season.

It would be good if there is prize money involved plus we could earn some good gates from playing against big English, Dutch, French teams. Also would be good experiance as opposed to playing against the same twelve teams. Last year when we went to Italy we played a bunch of amatur sides, it was just a sly way of getting a trip to Italy IMO. Lwts so something worthwhile in our pre season.

The uncertaintly caused by the whole Intertoto thing last year put me off the idea.  It seems to be more of a distraction than it is worth with having to wait so long to find out who's in and who's out etc.

Pre-season should not be underestimated and although I was of a mind that the Intertoto could be valuable in those preperations I think it's no bad thing we give it a miss even if we could get in.

BECAUSE OF ELTON JOHN! taken from teamtalk.com

The singer will play a concert at the club's Caledonian Stadium on July 15, a date which clashes with the second round of the tournament.

Director of football Graeme Bennett said: "We're withdrawing our interest in the Intertoto Cup.

"The cup dates clash with an Elton John concert at the stadium which would've been a big issue.

"We were also left hanging on so late last year to find if we were in the Intertoto that we don't want the same hassle.

"We'll now look to fix up a training camp in Italy."

Meanwhile, Gary McSwegan wants an answer from Caley Thistle boss Charlie Christie on his future.

The striker, 36, has made two starts since signing from Ross County last August and is out of contract in June.

He said: "I accept the club are probably hanging off to see what develops with players coming in.

"But the sooner my situation is sorted out the better."

"We were also left hanging on so late last year to find if we were in the Intertoto that we don't want the same hassle."

Think this is the main reason

Guest PaulieBee

Last season's will we/wont we saga put me off this idea a bit as well.

At least we can properly plan for the pre-season now.