FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Dundee Utd (a) Nov23

tm4tj

Have seen the goal on line. It’s a cracking goal. We broke up a United move, played it calmly at the back before picking out Harper running forward. He took it from inside our half to in line with their box and clearly was looking to pick Shaw out, with a touch from Anderson or a defender helping it on its way. Shaw then tucked it away well.

Nice one!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

15 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Their goal came when Holt was given space to head home from a corner but why are we substituting defenders when we have conceded a corner? 

Rookie error. Unless Carson was really struggling you do not sub him before the corner.🙈

• Agree 1

Watching it again, what a deft touch by Wotherspoon (I think) to set Harper away.

He and Big Dunc were getting positive comments from the panel on A View From The Terrace on Friday. I’m sure we will feature again this week after yesterday’s game. 

• Like 2

An extremely encouraging performance yesterday against a team that are supposed to be untouchable in this league.

Some of our play in the first half was verging on Pep era Barca (ok, a slight exaggeration but you get my drift). Defensively we look much stronger and Mark made some excellent saves too at vital moments. Overall you can see a completely renewed enthusiasm and focus amongst the players. My only concern would be the lack of goals but hopefully that will come as the momentum builds.

i would also say that David Wotherspoon looks like one of our best signings in many a long year and I would be looking to extend his contract at the earliest opportunity. A rolls Royce of a player in the Championship.

A decent away support yesterday but I would encourage anyone who has drifted away from attending matches to get yourself along and see this team in the flesh. I'm really enjoying watching this transformation and we are a team very much on the rise. Long may it continue.

Finally, I would be gutted and extremely surprised if this teams is not in the play-offs come May. 

In Dunc we trust.

Edited by ymip
  • Like 5
  • Well Said 5

51 minutes ago, Satan said:

Rookie error. Unless Carson was really struggling you do not sub him before the corner.🙈

I agree, but watching the highlights, I don’t think it caused the goal. Duffy was in the post and nowhere near the ball so Carson would presumably have been in the same position.

• Like 1

Having seen the goal,it was a great build up,good sharp passing from our own end to theirs and finished with a composed well taken goal by a player who is turning out a star attraction.

What a difference it is having a Manager who has a menu of options at his disposal, who it technically and strategically minded and who can convey his passion for the game to the rest of us.

Big Dunc has turned the shop around and taken us off the rocks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

2 hours ago, ymip said:

A decent away support yesterday but I would encourage anyone who has drifted away from attending matches to get yourself along and see this team in the flesh.

In Dunc we trust.

Exactly. Time for the stayaways to dust off the season tickets and get along on Saturday to give Ayr a doing. Not normally a happy clapper and that was the most I’ve enjoyed an ICT game for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

My decision to stop attending games and spending any money with the club has nothing to do with performances on the pitch and it is the same for a few others.

We may be seeing an improvement in performances on the pitch (and I'm enjoying that), but there's zero sign of improvement off of it, and that is every bit as much a threat to the club.  Arguably more.

Forgive me if I don't subscribe to the papering over of the cracks.

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

It’s good to hear positive talking from those people that were at the game which hasn’t been the case for a long time. 
Still a long way to go though so hopefully we will start winning a few games starting next Saturday. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, STFU said:

My decision to stop attending games and spending any money with the club has nothing to do with performances on the pitch and it is the same for a few others.

We may be seeing an improvement in performances on the pitch (and I'm enjoying that), but there's zero sign of improvement off of it, and that is every bit as much a threat to the club.  Arguably more.

We’re all agreed that the board need to grow a set and sack the charlatans that are bleeding us dry so forgive me my moment of euphoria as I’ve just spent several weeks in hospital and Saturday was a real treat. A real pint in a real pub and a real fitba stadium in a real fitba city.
However my comment was aimed at stayaway ST holders of whom there must be a fair number going by the deserted stands which are at odds with the crowds announced by the club.
These fans have already spent the money anyway, as I did in a moment of madness, although I hardly ever get up the road these days. They may as well be at the stadium lending a bit of atmosphere laced with hopefully a few anti- Gardiner chants rather than the morgue it is at present.
Alternatively, go and back the team at away games where it’s only the players that benefit, not the club. The main thing for me is to compete in the championship. To use your analogy, if the paper stops covering the cracks we’ll soon be part time in the seaside leagues.

• Well Said 8

A lot of welcome positivity on the board. Congratulations to all for what seems like a substantial improvement in confidence and mood at the club in a few short weeks. I have to say that, looking at the highlights, on chances, a profligate Utd must wonder how they didnt win the game. They should return to the premier and our target must be the top 4 which now looks achievable. I echo the call for better attendances at home. I am a very infrequent attendee these days due to other commitments but it would take a lot to see me get into my car and spend the whole day negotiating the increasingly frustrating A9. At the end of the journey our stadium is a bleak, unattractive and atmosphereless venue. Great when its full and rocking but when was the last time it looked anything like that? Time for the club to capitalise on our improvement on the field by offering a more attractive product off it ; really showing some ambition. That might entice me to roll the Austin Allegro out of the garage one more time to head north.

Edited by Naelifts
addition
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

We’re all agreed that the board need to grow a set and sack the charlatans that are bleeding us dry so forgive me my moment of euphoria as I’ve just spent several weeks in hospital and Saturday was a real treat. A real pint in a real pub and a real fitba stadium in a real fitba city.
However my comment was aimed at stayaway ST holders of whom there must be a fair number going by the deserted stands which are at odds with the crowds announced by the club.
These fans have already spent the money anyway, as I did in a moment of madness, although I hardly ever get up the road these days. They may as well be at the stadium lending a bit of atmosphere laced with hopefully a few anti- Gardiner chants rather than the morgue it is at present.
Alternatively, go and back the team at away games where it’s only the players that benefit, not the club. The main thing for me is to compete in the championship. To use your analogy, if the paper stops covering the cracks we’ll soon be part time in the seaside leagues.

Papering over the cracks doesn't make them go away, or prevent them getting bigger.  It just stops people from seeing how bad they are.

• Well Said 1

On 11/5/2023 at 3:45 PM, STFU said:

How is this helping the team. It seems that we have a core of "supporters " who profess to support the team but won't actually attend any games as they believe, in that doing so, they give support to the board. What garbage,  if more fans actually attended games, instead of finding reasons to not attend,  we may be in a better position financially and be able to challenge the board more robust.

Whatever you think of the board, the majority have invested substantially in the club, with little hope of any return.  True, they have made mistakes and communication is terrible but they have put their money into the club. It's a pity some fans don't want to put theirs into the club because they don't like the board or CEO.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 9

58 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

How is this helping the team. It seems that we have a core of "supporters " who profess to support the team but won't actually attend any games as they believe, in that doing so, they give support to the board. What garbage,  if more fans actually attended games, instead of finding reasons to not attend,  we may be in a better position financially and be able to challenge the board more robust.

Whatever you think of the board, the majority have invested substantially in the club, with little hope of any return.  True, they have made mistakes and communication is terrible but they have put their money into the club. It's a pity some fans don't want to put theirs into the club because they don't like the board or CEO.

I've not once tried to defend my position by saying it's supporting the team, because it's not.

I've also not once said I'm taking my stance against the board, other than our anonymous Chairman.

What I am refusing to do is make any contribution towards the salaries of Gardiner or Robertson.  The former treats the fans with absolute disdain and has overseen huge losses, and the concert fiasco which means there are many local companies who will no longer have anything to do with the club.  The latter seems to be picking up a wage for doing nothing and spends more time over the bridge than he does at our games.

I'm all for diversifying the business, but battery farms, freeports and Robertson commentating on County matches isn't going to bring fans back.

If the decision makers think dropping fan numbers and fan income are worth it to have Gardiner and Robertson as employees, then either they're missing the point of a football club, or I am.  Or maybe they just prefer watching home matches in silence?!  It's their money keeping the club afloat (for now), so their choice I guess.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, STFU said:

What I am refusing to do is make any contribution towards the salaries of Gardiner or Robertson.  The former treats the fans with absolute disdain and has overseen huge losses, and the concert fiasco which means there are many local companies who will no longer have anything to do with the club.  The latter seems to be picking up a wage for doing nothing and spends more time over the bridge than he does at our games.

I'm all for diversifying the business, but battery farms, freeports and Robertson commentating on County matches isn't going to bring fans back.

If the decision makers think dropping fan numbers and fan income are worth it to have Gardiner and Robertson as employees, then either they're missing the point of a football club, or I am.  Or maybe they just prefer watching home matches in silence?!  It's their money keeping the club afloat (for now), so their choice I guess.

It's taken them a while but it finally looks like they've made a decent appointment in Big Dunc and there is now an air of optimism about the club. Hopefully results will continue to improve and more spectators will be tempted back to the Longman on matchdays.

As a long-time supporter of Caley and then ICT, I personally couldn't care less about the mechanics of the upper management structure, or what they get up to on matchdays. My interest goes no further than the team on the pitch and that's what I pay to see and financially support.

Continue your one-man campaign against Gardiner and Robertson by all means, but by doing so you are, sadly in common with the majority of Invernessians, not supporting your local team.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Well Said 1

14 hours ago, buckett said:

It's taken them a while but it finally looks like they've made a decent appointment in Big Dunc and there is now an air of optimism about the club. Hopefully results will continue to improve and more spectators will be tempted back to the Longman on matchdays.

As a long-time supporter of Caley and then ICT, I personally couldn't care less about the mechanics of the upper management structure, or what they get up to on matchdays. My interest goes no further than the team on the pitch and that's what I pay to see and financially support.

Continue your one-man campaign against Gardiner and Robertson by all means, but by doing so you are, sadly in common with the majority of Invernessians, not supporting your local team.

You're entitled to your view, and maybe there is some merit in burying ones head in the sand and blindly following the on pitch activities with no regard to the clubs long term viability.

However, the club are not entitled to be supported just because they exist.  And in that regard, what they are getting is the support they deserve.

In my opinion, if anyone is letting the team down, it's the off field decision makers who have created an ever growing disconnect between the club and the city.

• Sad 1

On 11/6/2023 at 1:46 PM, caley100 said:

Austin Allegro!!!!  ..... Pfffftttt...  not the one with the square wheel?  

I regret to say my first ever car was an Austin Allegro - should have kept it as they now fetch lovely prices as collectors cars !!

On 11/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, Naelifts said:

A lot of welcome positivity on the board. Congratulations to all for what seems like a substantial improvement in confidence and mood at the club in a few short weeks. I have to say that, looking at the highlights, on chances, a profligate Utd must wonder how they didnt win the game. They should return to the premier and our target must be the top 4 which now looks achievable. I echo the call for better attendances at home. I am a very infrequent attendee these days due to other commitments but it would take a lot to see me get into my car and spend the whole day negotiating the increasingly frustrating A9. At the end of the journey our stadium is a bleak, unattractive and atmosphereless venue. Great when its full and rocking but when was the last time it looked anything like that? Time for the club to capitalise on our improvement on the field by offering a more attractive product off it ; really showing some ambition. That might entice me to roll the Austin Allegro out of the garage one more time to head north.

Excuses, excuses my boy 😂. The A9 is better than it ever was…

• Thoughtful 1

Now now John. While I recognise that this is not a motoring thread I must take exception to your flying the A9 flag. Anybody who has spent an hour trying to get through the Inveralmond roundabout or those that waited three hours to get to the Pitlochry Lightfest will testify that it is one unholy mess. My Sikorsky is on order though

• tm4tj unpinned this topic