FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness CT -V- Hibernian - Sc Cup - Preview

tm4tj

Cup Action

With both clubs underperforming this season, this is maybe a welcome break from the weekly chores. Neither club are where they would like to be. Both sides are 7th in their respective League Tables. Hibs are marooned in no mans land in the Premiership and Inverness are languishing in the doldrums, perilously close to the relegation play-off slot in the Championship. Hibs played twice this week and took a beating both times from St Mirren followed by Celtic in midweek as the Premiership played catch-up after the Winter break. We faltered badly at home to Queens Park as mass squad changes disrupted the continuity in the side, although playing at home seems to affect us anyway. It could be a long day this Saturday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Match/Ticket Info

Remember This May 2015

Then This May 2015

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Venue Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 18 10 3 5 33 16 +17
Away 15 5 4 6 16 20 -4
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 33 15 7 11 49 36 +13

Despite our demise, we still hold the upper hand over Hibs, especially at home despite losing the last two which were both Scottish Cup ties.

Last 10 Competitive Meetings
loss.png
2 - 5
(H)
loss.png
1 - 2
(H)
draw.png
1 - 1
(A)
draw.png
0 - 0
(H)
win.png
2 - 0
(A)
win.png
3 - 0
(H)
win.png
2 - 1
(A)
win.png
3 - 0
(H)
draw.png
2 - 2
(A)
win.png
2 - 0
(H)

We have never beaten Hibs in the Scottish Cup, losing the last two at home. The first Cup meeting at Easter Road in 2008 saw us go down 0 - 3 to a Dean Shiels hat-trick. The last four games between these sides have ended in a home win and today was no different. Reputed Caley Thistle target Dean Shiels scored all three goals in a deserved victory for the Hibees and probably killed any chance Caley Thistle have of getting him to come to the Caledonian Stadium as new boss Mixu Paatelainen will likely be less than enthusiastic about letting him go now. Dean Shiels was the hat-trick hero for Hibs as they eased into the fifth round of the Scottish Cup at Caley Thistle’s expense. The player – seemingly frozen out under previous manager John Collins – returned to the starting line-up for new manager Mixu Paatelainen and virtually guaranteed his Easter Road future as he handed the gaffer his best possible start.

Hibs have won the Scottish Cup three times, the last one being the year after Inverness beat Falkirk 2-1 to lift the trophy in 2015, Hibs first win came in 1887 when they beat Dumbarton 2-1 followed by 1-0 victory over Celtic in 1902. Hibs have been runners-up 10 times with Inverness losing out once.

From Wikipedia>>>

1887: The 1887 Scottish Cup Final was the 14th final of the Scottish Cup and the final of the 1886–87 Scottish Cup. The match was played at the second Hampden Park in Crosshill (today part of Glasgow) on 12 February 1887 and was watched by a crowd of 15,000 spectators. The final was contested by the 1883 winners Dumbarton and Hibernian who had never won the competition before.

1902: The 1902 Scottish Cup Final was played on 26 April 1902 at Celtic Park in Glasgow and was the deciding match of the 29th season of the Scottish Cup. The match had been scheduled to be played at Ibrox Park on 12 April, but the first Ibrox disaster occurred the week earlier during the annual Scotland v England game. This meant that the final was delayed by two weeks and moved to Celtic Park, although Celtic were one of the finalists. Hibernian won the match 1–0, with a 75th-minute goal from Andy McGeachan. This was Hibernian's last Scottish Cup triumph for 114 years, until they won it again in 2016 by beating Rangers 3–2. Att: 16,000

2015: The 2015 Scottish Cup Final was the 130th final of the Scottish Cup. The match took place at Hampden Park on 30 May 2015 and was contested by Falkirk and Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Ten-man Inverness won the final 2–1 thanks to a late James Vincent goal. Marley Watkins scored the first with Peter Grant replying for the Bairns after Carl Tremarco had been sent off. Att 37,149.

2016: The 2016 Scottish Cup Final was the 131st final of the Scottish Cup and the final of the 2015–16 Scottish Cup. The match took place at Hampden Park on 21 May 2016 and was contested by Scottish Championship teams Rangers and Hibernian. It was the first final to be contested by two teams from outside the top tier of the Scottish football league system. Hibernian ended a run of 114 years from last winning the competition, beating Rangers 3–2 with a stoppage time goal from club captain David Gray. Att: 50,701

We are of course beaten finalists from last season losing 3-1 to Celtic.

Inverness at the wrong end of the Championship table with Hibs in the middle of nowhere.

image.pngimage.png

Remember, nothing is easy, but anything is possible>>>

Latest Team News

We will need to wait for Duncan Ferguson to announce his plans. We barely know half the squad; not sure if Duncan does either since the transfer window shut. As shown against Queens Park, we struggled badly to break down a team prepared to sit in and wait for their one opportunity. However, with Premiership opposition comes the hope that they will fancy their chances and come North to have a go and that might suit us better.

Players at Nick Montgomery's disposal for the midweek defeat to Celtic.

David Marshall; Miller, Fish, Triantis, Obita, Newell, Boyle, Moriah-Welsh, Levitt, Youan, Vente

Substitutes:  Wollacott, Mayenda, Amos, Stevenson, Maolida, Le Fondre, Veiga Vieira Tavares, Molotnikov, Megwa

No1 keeper is David Marshall of Scotland penalty save claim. Martin Boyle is the big threat up front, but to be honest there will be threats all over the park as you would expect from an established Premiership side.

• Like 3

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic

Luis Longstaff is out and Alex Samuel is a doubt for tomorrow.

We are inconsistent and Hibs are on a bad run but seemed to play well against Celtic in midweek.

My head says an away win, my heart says we will have another cup upset.

• Like 3

Come on Robert, your glass is half empty you better fill it up :wink:  I think we will cause another wee upset tomorrow with Hibs being the much bigger team, a 1 - 0 win.  

• Thoughtful 1

6 minutes ago, IBM said:

Come on Robert, your glass is half empty you better fill it up :wink:  I think we will cause another wee upset tomorrow with Hibs being the much bigger team, a 1 - 0 win.  

I went with 2-1 on Gringo’s NPL….

• Like 2

I said after thr draw that I felt we were better when teams came at us, and if Hibs do that and we can get our nose in front then I'm confident we can get a result.

The danger is we concede early and Hibs then sit in a bit against us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We love a cup run and an upset. As Robert rightly said we need to follow Morton's example. We also need to shoot on sight and on target more often. If Samuel is out we might struggle to find that cutting edge. Tough call. Hopefully Hibs will be worn out after their mid-week narrow defeat. I also went 2-1 ICT on that NPL thing. 😄:ictscarf:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Robert said:

We need to follow Morton’s example.

Realising when a player like Oakley is at your club play him in the right position and you see the benefits rather than letting egos get in the way. Out of all the Robbo/Dodds recruitment decisions letting or wanting him gone is one of the worst.

Anyway, Martin Boyle plays well and we will loose, contain him and we can win. I expect hibs to come at us more than visiting teams in the league so hopefully more space to get in behind which we seem better at.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

I expect hibs to come at us more than visiting teams in the league so hopefully more space to get in behind which we seem better at.

Yes, the way Hibs will play will make it more like an away game so we should treat it as such. Our away record is decent so let’s adopt our away tactics this afternoon. 

• Like 2

Don't agree with all the negative comments on here I thought the boys did okay especially the first half.

I thought ourback three of Mullen, Savage and Carracher did well enough and  looked solid  its our final third where we are struggling. 

3-1 flattered Hibs,the first two goals were a deflections and a mistake.

Dorans goal was quality.

We need to up the tempo and be more proactive.

I agree we need a striker and just a shame Samuel was out injured.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 3

18 minutes ago, BobbyDazzler said:

I don't understand big Duncs substitutions. Why take off defenders and then replace them with more defenders?? At least we can focus on securing league safety now 

And he didn't even sub the central defender on a yellow card. 

It's clear to me now though, he's still emulating Everton as he wants us to be relegated as well it seems!!

• Thoughtful 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic