Cafes in old Sneck

Guest eliza

[quote author=Charles Bannerman link=topic=4695.msg73335#msg73335 date=1188819537]

Salvadori's in Greig Street. Wonderful ice cream with the option of raspberry cordial on top. I've said it before on this site, but what a wonderful snapshot old Caleyland Greig Street was.

Cushnie's Post Office, the Chemist, Salvadoris, the Coop, Morrisons, Frank Hills, the Caley Club, Jimmy Munros, the paper shop (previously Baddons the bikeshop), Diggar's barber shop which is worth a thread on its own.

(As a young Brooman said to me during the merger "Diggar McGillivray is hardly cold in his grave and look at what they're doing to the Caley!")

Could you just imagine setting one of these Reality TV programmes in Diggars.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: And then there was the public toilets at the other side of the bridge. Now that could have hosted a Reality programme - on Channel 5 or Bravo !!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The toilets were gone years ago were they not? The old brick structure was torn down and replaced with a state of the art toilet, at the cost of many of thousands of pounds. It didnt last long for some reason

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sometime around 1990, I bought the jukebox that used to be in the Washington Soda Fountain (the "Wash") from a guy in Inverness - I remember he had it stored somewhere in Castle Street.  The Wash would have been closed then, I think.  It was a bit of a wreck but I restored it and had it in the house for a few years but I then sold it.  It was a 1959 Seeburg (model 222) if anybody's interested (google it) .  And for any of you who scraped and carved your names on the chrome and the side panels, I was not impressed!  Vandals!!  :015:

Memories of "The Wash"!!!!  The Washington Soda Fountain (what a name!) was one of my haunts after school!    We used to buy the old 45's after they were out of the Top Twenty but had to get plastic bits to put in the centres, as the centres had been pushed out to fit into the juke box!

Many squabbles about who had "bagged" a record to buy!!!!  Cannot remember how much we would have paid, but it would only have been pennies I presume.    Oh happy days!  I can still visualise "The Wash" and smile. 

• 2 weeks later...

No, Charles!  I was a High School girl - I wanted to study shorthand and typing, and the Academy didn't provide such studies, so....... over the bridge I went!

Still enjoyed going to "The Wash" as often as possible, such happy memories! 

Have you any thoughts on a Cafe in Bridge Street, though?  Not many responses to that, apart from Latviaman...... 

"Typeen" with Vicky Smith then? Vick was a Royal Academy FP and captain of the football team there. I believe he also played for Caley in his day, which would have been just before the war.

On the subject of "cafes" (or at least old Inverness eating establishments), I see Serafini's West End Chipper has now gone way of the Chinese now and has become Charlie Chan's. At least we've got the Kingsmills Hotel back!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Latviaman and Eliza,  Mario Bernardi owned the Cafe in Old Bridge St. Also on that side of the street at the same time was MacKenzie the Tobacconist(across from the Steeple) where both my Sisters worked, Junor the grocer, a sub post office, Hugh Johnstone, men's outfitters and John Buchan's newsagents.

What a memory you have, Canuck!  Great !

I now recall the tobacconist, as, when I was a naive! teenager, I had a boss (in my 1st job - the Civil Engineers - Blyth and Blyth, Church Street) who liked a type of  cigarette called blue "du Maurier".    On a Wednesday, half closing!, I spent a lot of time going round all the tobacconists, first to see if they were open, and secondly to see if they stocked these type of fags.  Oh the joys of being the junior shorthand/typist, sent the errands for the boss, and lo behold if I returned cigarette-less.  (Work late with no pay - imagine that nowadays!).

Another errand I was often sent on was to get money from the Bank (the British Linen Bank in High Street!) and had to return to the office with ?200 in cash in my pockets, walk past the snooker hall in High Street looking worldly-wise (I wasnt at all)(I was a country bumpkin) and get back with the money - all at a time when my monthly pay was not even ?20 (and there I was with 10 times as much in my pockets).  Many's a time I was scared, but still had to do "the boss's pocket money run".

Changed days, indeed!

You two are now beginning to lose me a bit! I do remember old Bridge Street, but just. I was about 8 when it was demolished.  I certainly remember the British Linen Bank (remember their linen paper notes?) which was indeed near the snooker hall on High Street.

That brings me on to bank mergers. There was the British Linen and the National Commercial Bank. I'm sure the National Commercial became part of the Royal Bank which became RBS. Did the BL go in with Clydesdale or BofS? Or did it become part of the Royal as well?

Ah... and the Wednesday half day!

• 3 months later...
Guest Jock Watt

Salvadori's in Greig Street. Wonderful ice cream with the option of raspberry cordial on top. I've said it before on this site, but what a wonderful snapshot old Caleyland Greig Street was.

Cushnie's Post Office, the Chemist, Salvadoris, the Coop, Morrisons, Frank Hills, the Caley Club, Jimmy Munros, the paper shop (previously Baddons the bikeshop), Diggar's barber shop which is worth a thread on its own.

Aye, and old man Salvadori was, as far as I know, the only maker of coffee made only with milk!  Used to boil it up in a battered old small pan and poured it into the cup for you.  He also NEVER chucked anyone out of the cubicals, even though you'd been there for two hours or more after buying only a cup of coffee.  He also had the most beautiful daughter in the Sneck who occasionally served behind the counter.  She must have married at some stage - anyone know ??

I think old Salvadori's first name was Salvatore. The son was Vaaro. Was the daughter not Laura? She would have been a good deal older than I am.

I remember the cubicles well. Used to sit in there eatuing the excellent Salvadori ice cream with the raspberry sauce watching the telly. For some strange reason I have a clear memory of being in there and watching a German called Bungert getting heavily defeated by an Australian in the Wimbledon final of about 64 or 65.

You two are now beginning to lose me a bit! I do remember old Bridge Street, but just. I was about 8 when it was demolished.  I certainly remember the British Linen Bank (remember their linen paper notes?) which was indeed near the snooker hall on High Street.

That brings me on to bank mergers. There was the British Linen and the National Commercial Bank. I'm sure the National Commercial became part of the Royal Bank which became RBS. Did the BL go in with Clydesdale or BofS? Or did it become part of the Royal as well?

Ah... and the Wednesday half day!

Charles - Yes the British Linen was taken over by the BofS and the National Commerical Bank became part of the RBS. I opened my very first deposit account with the National Commercial Bank (where Quality Seconds is/was) with ?1 and on a Saturday morning too. 

Aye, the Wednesday half day and Tuesday market day at Hamilton's Auction Mart on Millburn Road.

Wilhelm Bungert (born 1 April 1939 in Mannheim) is a former German tennis player.

30 years after Gottfried von Cramm, he was the second German player to reach the Wimbledon men?s finals, which he lost against the Australian John Newcombe in 1967. In the years 1963 and 1964 he had been semifinalist. In 1962 he lost the quarterfinals of the International Australian Championships. In the same year he also reached the doubles finals of the International French Championships and the International Tennis Tournament of Monte Carlo.

In 1970 he (with Christian Kuhnke) was part of the German Davis Cup team which lost the finals against the U.S. 0:5.

In the eighties Bungert was captain of the German Davis Cup team (Boris Becker and Michael Westphal) which lost the finals against Sweden 2:3. Niki Pilic became his successor as captain.

Today, Wilhelm Bungert owns a tennis and golf center in Hilden.

What a man can do when he has time on his hands......                      get on with the patio Don!

Anyway, back on topic,  used to dodge sunday school  and use the donation money to get a coffee and 5 park drive in the Locarno, milky coffee in those days was brill.

Old Mr. Salvadori suffered from Parkinsons which explained why his head continually shaked. As well as his son Varo  he had two  beautiful daughters, the elder daughter ( I believe her name was Elvira - or something sounding as such) when married, left to live in South America, she married a guy named Shand.

The younger daughter, a  little blonde doll who Jock/Charles mentions was named Maria, she was indeed a ''stunner'' she married a local man named Billy Steel.

• 5 weeks later...

That's old Renzo Serafini back left isn't it? Or is it the generation before that?

In the Scottish football museum at Hampden there's a recording of Renzo Serafini talking about football matches between internees on the Isle of Man. When Churchill came to power in May 1940 his solution to the possible problem of enemy aliens was "collar the lot" and just about everyone with German or Italian connections was interned, mainly on the Isle of Man or in the "colonies". (Was anybody ever on a school cruise in the Dunera in the 60s or 70s? The Dunera was used to take internees to Australia under less than civilised conditions.)

Renzo was among the Isle of Man internees but the man in the photo, although he looks like what I recollect to be Renzo, he does perhaps look a bit old, given the apparent vintage of the pic which I might, on the basis of the minging female hairstyles, take to be from the 1950s.