FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rock Gigs in the Sneck

Guest Glen Mhor

What did you play in A Gentle Sound BornCaley? Was it Drums by any chance? Just going by something you sed in an earlier post makes methink this!

Edited by SMEE

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Mark (he used to work in the market brae record shop) and I think I may have seen AGS play in the Ice Rink.

hey

he did indeed...The Ice rink gig was with The Railway Children, funnily enough their debut single was called A Gentle Sound...top night. I remember the power cut out during our set and myself & the other drummer just kept playing...happy days

So u must be Chris then? Hi I remember gentle sound recording in my studio " Arcane" on Ardconnel Street and I also sold Murray a gorgeous Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo guitar. Whatever happened to the tracks that you recorded there?

Certainly was at one of them, think it must've been the first, right down the front, Morrisey chucked his shirt into the crowd, I caught one part of it, but couldn't hang on tight enough in the mellee fighting for it.

Other good gigs that come to mind were Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera at Eden Court and the Pretenders at the Ice Rink.

I also recall seeing the Proclaimers in their very early days in wee upstairs bar in a hotel somewhere in the town centre.

Talking of old musical heroes, anyone see the documentary the other night about Edwyn Collins from Orange Juice and his journey of recovery from a stroke. He apparently spends some time at a house his family own in Helmsdale.

I still have a peice of the light blue shirt with black polka dots that he threw into the crowd that night! Stashed safely at my parents hoose in the box of things to keep from youth.

Magic night!

Also had tickets for The Clash for the gig that never was due to Strummer doing a disappearing act. He was finally in Culrain up the back of Ardgay with some distant relative getting pished and fishing. Proper rock stars then .......40 drams in the Lady Ross and carried home.

As Frankie Boyle says of the modern "binge drinking" fad ......"In our day we just used to call it drinking!"

So u must be Chris then? Hi I remember gentle sound recording in my studio " Arcane" on Ardconnel Street and I also sold Murray a gorgeous Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo guitar. Whatever happened to the tracks that you recorded there?

not sure what happened to those recordings...i know they were used for a Jim Gelatley compilation for MFR.. i remember having to record those drums on the electric kit with a horrible click track...not nice...

Yes Murray did have a lovely Ric, still my favourite guitar. I think he still has it. I seem to rememer buying my Premier kit form that place as well....happy days

Well well Chris I remember that kit as well, as you say happy days, a few other "famous" local bands went thru the studio.

before the studio was set up we recorded Flight to Cairo on a portastudio, a very good one that is, in Cliff Cottage, then as Raining Stairs we did an album which was recorded in Skye and finally we did 3 tracks for there first CD album, which are still fresh today. I also did some recording for the Voyeurs album but I am not sure where they ended up I think they were demos for their record company at at the time. Various other bands of the time passed thru as well.

This thread had me reliving some parts of my life. and i got to thinking, was it just Glub who was a dancer for AGS, or is my gut feeling that Pepsi was a dancer too correct?

both Pepsi & Glub were our dancers

jesus..2010 will be 20 years since that summer with AGS...a nice time for a comeback gig, lol

Well well Chris I remember that kit as well, as you say happy days, a few other "famous" local bands went thru the studio.

before the studio was set up we recorded Flight to Cairo on a portastudio, a very good one that is, in Cliff Cottage, then as Raining Stairs we did an album which was recorded in Skye and finally we did 3 tracks for there first CD album, which are still fresh today. I also did some recording for the Voyeurs album but I am not sure where they ended up I think they were demos for their record company at at the time. Various other bands of the time passed thru as well.

I remember FTC very well...always reminded me of the cure. God The Voyeurs..always liked them, top guys

Im trying to work out who you are...I remember Philip & Vic working in Raining Stairs...my money is on you being Vic as i remember him in the Howden End at Telford Street and here we are on an ICt forum...I often wonder what happened to Phil...great guy and top guitarist...helped out at some live gigs while we were inbetween The Boyfriends & AGS...always loved that Gretsch he had

If your interested, you can check out my latest stuff at www.myspace.com/boymeetssound

C

BornCaley, I dug out the "Groove Machine" compilation tape tonight and gave it a listen for the first time in many years. Your track stood out from the rest and although it has an obvious Madchester feel to it, it is a good track. The sleeve notes make the following comment on AGS: "AGS have brought Manchester just a little closer to home with an impressice combination of dance rythms and indie sounds".

Other interesting tracks on the tape are by Raining Stairs and Suspect Device.

Ed Waiter - didn't Raining Stairs rip you off with some equipment?

Cannot believe Aberdeens finest prog act Pallas have not been mentioned, surely they played Inverness.

IQ certainly did and so did Marillion in 82 and my old mates Comedy of Errors played the Hayloft.

Graham

Yes this sad old prog head was at the Fish gig last year and it was great to get the whole of Clutching at Straws. nostalga!

Cannot believe Aberdeens finest prog act Pallas have not been mentioned, surely they played Inverness.

IQ certainly did and so did Marillion in 82 and my old mates Comedy of Errors played the Hayloft.

Graham

Yes this sad old prog head was at the Fish gig last year and it was great to get the whole of Clutching at Straws. nostalga!

I helped organise the IQ gig at Eden Court in 1984. It was a great gig but I lost a fair bit of money in the process. Did you hear their album: "Tales from the lush attic". I think I may have seen Pallas at the Ice rink but I ndidn't manage to see Marillion. Have you heard of Pendragon?

Graham

Well Kiltarlity....if your a big prog head, then maybe Tangerine Dream live in Edinburgh Nov 2nd might interest you

Well KOB to be Fair at the time I cannot say they ripped me off with stuff let's just say we had a parting of the ways as I financed their first tape on Skye and did them ever so much of a good deal on the recording of their tracks for the album Raining Stairs. Incidentally they recorded 3 tracks at "Arcane" the rest in very very expensive Edinburgh Studios with top producers, I think the tracks they recorded in Inverness stand out against them as we only had an 8 track 1/2 in Tascam Recorder syncd to some nice Midi gear against 24 track super duper stuff. I'm trying to think who yer are kinda blue were u a suspect device?

We were all set to start our own label when the finaces ran out, we looked at and can you remeber

" Bikini Test " with Kenny Hegney, what I remeber about them was the keyborad player used a ironing board as keyboard stand

" Celtic Heart " a bunch of foxy looking dames with a sound I can only describe as well unique kinda 4ad

Where are they now?

Born Caley

hey that Tangs gig in Edinburgh gig sounds like one fer me 2 look at. I saw Tangerine Dream at the first gig that they ever played at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London, Brian Eno was sitting in front of me and he was wearing a red berry.

I also saw the second gig at Chichester Theatre playing the live Soundtrack to Oeidepus Tyrannus with Dina Dores and Keith Michelle. I had a stereo Sony recorder that I took with me and got a really good recording of it, along with many other of their first gis but unfortunatley some 12 years ago the recordings were stolen from my mums garage in St Valery Ave when I was storing stuff there, there were a few classics in ther and a live Kraftwerk in Edinburgh as well, ach well never mind.

Edited by ed waiter

Well KOB to be Fair at the time I cannot say they ripped me off with stuff let's just say we had a parting of the ways as I finaced their first tape on Skye and did them ever so much of a good deal on the recording of their tracks for the album Raining Stairs. Incidentally they recorded 3 tracks at "Arcane" the rest in very very expensive Edinburgh Studios with top producers, I think the tracks they recorded in Inverness stand out against them as we only had an 8 track 1/2 in Tascam Recorder syncd to some nice Midi gear against 24 track super duper stuff. I'm trying to think who yer are kinda blue were u a suspect device?

Well KOB to be Fair at the time I cannot say they ripped me off with stuff let's just say we had a parting of the ways as I finaced their first tape on Skye and did them ever so much of a good deal on the recording of their tracks for the album Raining Stairs. Incidentally they recorded 3 tracks at "Arcane" the rest in very very expensive Edinburgh Studios with top producers, I think the tracks they recorded in Inverness stand out against them as we only had an 8 track 1/2 in Tascam Recorder syncd to some nice Midi gear against 24 track super duper stuff. I'm trying to think who yer are kinda blue were u a suspect device?

If I say that I was a long standing customer at Nu Direction, then that will narrow it down.

Was the Raining Stairs track - "World comes crashing" one that you recorded? Its sounds good although the guitarist was trying too hard to sound like the Edge.

"I helped organise the IQ gig at Eden Court in 1984. It was a great gig but I lost a fair bit of money in the process. Did you hear their album: "Tales from the lush attic". I think I may have seen Pallas at the Ice rink but I ndidn't manage to see Marillion. Have you heard of Pendragon?"

In the late 80's my mate Robert and I run the Uk's premier prog rock fanzine. Covering such acts as IQ, Jadis, Ark, Galahad and Pendragon.

We used to go down to London pretty regularly using our student discount cards, blag a floor to sleep on, free food and drink and hang around the edge of the spotlight ark.

Last time I saw Pendragon was headlining the Stoke Prog Festival in about 91

A throwback to these days is that my 7 year old daughter Eloise (yes after Dammed! song) has the middle name Jadis (after the IQ spin off band).

Graham

KOB

You still fox me unless you are Robert?Give me a clue. World Comes Crashing In is a great song but it was not one of the ones we recorded, I agree with your review tho, Hedgehogs and Rainbows, City Lights and I can't remember the other one unless I have a look at the CD. Three in total I think we recorded.

The penny has just dropped Lifescan!

KOB

You still fox me unless you are Robert?Give me a clue. World Comes Crashing In is a great song but it was not one of the ones we recorded, I agree with your review tho, Hedgehogs and Rainbows, City Lights and I can't remember the other one unless I have a look at the CD. Three in total I think we recorded.

The penny has just dropped Lifescan!

I'm not Robert but Alan. I spoke to you a few times in the ICT stadium last season.