FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rock Gigs in the Sneck

Guest Glen Mhor

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jings! Ed Waiter - I remember them all!!  Great nights!  The Move, in particular, were something else.    Oh the memories, but are the memories of the gigs or.......?

A re-opening of the Ballerina?  I remember the strobe lighting there one night - I had on a short white mini dress and the lights went clean through it!!!!  Spent the whole night trying to avoid the strobes as they went around...  Oh the innocence of youth!

I remember the Ballerina and Two Red Shoes, think they were run by Albert Bonici from Elgin. he brought a lot of groups Shane Fenton Freddie/ Dreamers and others He also staged a few shows in the old Empire theatre, I remember,  Johnny Mike and the  Shades, Barron Nights, still going!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Certainly was at one of them, think it must've been the first, right down the front, Morrisey chucked his shirt into the crowd, I caught one part of it, but couldn't hang on tight enough in the mellee fighting for it.

Other good gigs that come to mind were Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera at Eden Court and the Pretenders at the Ice Rink.

I also recall seeing the Proclaimers in their very early days in wee upstairs bar in a hotel somewhere in the town centre.

Talking of old musical heroes, anyone see the documentary the other night about Edwyn Collins from Orange Juice and his journey of recovery from a stroke. He apparently spends some time at a house his family own in Helmsdale.

The Proclaimers played the upstairs Market Bar after a Faultline festival gig

Inverness seemed to be Nowhere land for gigs as i remember growing up, but seeing so many replies brought back some great gig memories for me growing up in shneck

999/Flux of Pink Indians - Some church hall behind the bus station, which became Blue i think

Southern Death Cult - Pharoes ( ice Rink) & My First gig

Souxsie & The Banshees -Pharoes

Smiths - Eden Court

SLF - Ice rink

Mega City 4 - Hayloft

Sensless Things - Hayloft

Stereophonics - Railway Club

The Mission - Aviemore, Dingwall, Elgin

The Supernaturals - Railway Club ( before they got signed)

I think Inverness was and still is to some degree a warm up area for bands before they tour or festivals.

Someone asked who promoted bands back then, well i imagine it was Rob Ellen ( aka Rainbow Rob aka Puff Puff Ellen)

On the local band front...I remember seeing As The Crow Flies in Reflections, very early Cure..

I played in a few local acts to varying success myself, so i should be able to name loads of them...The Voyeurs, Tai-Pan, Rainland, The Electric Hole ( who became The Boyfriends and finally A Gentle Sound - AGS), Suspect Device, Speedking

My last Inverness gig was when i can up last year for my beloved Damned at the Ironworks, finally they played Inverness

BornCaley, I see that you were in Suspect Device - so you had the honour to play with the legends that are Malcolm and Paul (egg). I know Paul fairly well and saw Suspect Device play in Finlays many moons ago.

Remind about AGS - who was in this band?

BornCaley, I see that you were in Suspect Device - so you had the honour to play with the legends that are Malcolm and Paul (egg). I know Paul fairly well and saw Suspect Device play in Finlays many moons ago.

Kinda Blue - Sorry, i didnt play for Suspect Device, nice lads though. I did play for A Gentle Sound though...We were made up of both Caley & Thistle supporers...you may know our singer Mark, whose dad is Jim Falconer, ICT Treasurer.

We did the whole Madchester "baggy"jangly guitar summer of love thing thing...raves, 2 drummers, riots, bannings etc etc

happy days

Kinda Blue- now ive re-read your post i see the confusion. I just named a few local acts. I only played for a couple of them ( Electric hole through to AGS)

Don't recall Black Sabbath ever playing in Inverness, but I could be wrong. Black Widow played at the rock concert in Telford Street circa 1969/70ish and ther song was Come to the Sabbat, (satans there)

my mate wikipedia said

Black Widow were a progressive rock/hard rock band that formed in Leicester, England in September 1969. The band were mostly known for its early use of satanic and occult imagery in their music and stage act. The band were often confused with the better-known heavy metal band Black Sabbath, but the bands were only superficially similar.

I saw Black Sabath in Aberdeen around the same time.

Kinda Blue - Sorry, i didnt play for Suspect Device, nice lads though. I did play for A Gentle Sound though...We were made up of both Caley & Thistle supporers...you may know our singer Mark, whose dad is Jim Falconer, ICT Treasurer.

We did the whole Madchester "baggy"jangly guitar summer of love thing thing...raves, 2 drummers, riots, bannings etc etc

happy days

I know Mark (he used to work in the market brae record shop) and I think I may have seen AGS play in the Ice Rink.