FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The What Are You Listening To? Thread

RiG

Ten Years After............I'm Going Home, (live)

Hers some info on them from my mate Wikipedia

Ten Years After is a British blues rock band popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

The band consisted of:

Alvin Lee — guitar, vocals; born 19 December 1944, in Nottingham.

Leo Lyons — bass; born 30 November 1943, in Mansfield.

Chick Churchill — keyboard; born Michael George Churchill on 2 January 1946, in Ilkeston.

Ric Lee — drums; born 20 October 1945, in Mansfield.

History

After several years of local Nottingham success as the Jaybirds, the band moved to London, changed their name to Ten Years After, and secured a residency at the famous Marquee Club. An invitation to play at the Windsor Jazz Festival in 1967 led to a contract with Deram, a subsidiary company of Decca — the first band so signed without a hit single.

After touring Scandinavia and America, Ten Years After released their second album, Undead, which included the hit single "I'm Going Home". This was followed by Stonedhenge, a British hit. In 1969, they appear at the Newport Jazz Festival, in the first event to which rock bands were invited. In August, Ten Years After performed a breakthrough American appearance at Woodstock; their furious-to-slow-to-furious rendition of "I'm Going Home" was featured in both the subsequent film and soundtrack album and catapulted them to star status.

During 1970, Ten Years After released "Love Like a Man", their only hit in the UK singles chart. It was the first record to be issued with a different playing speed on both sides - one a three-minute edit at 45 rpm, the other, a nine-minute live version at 33 rpm. In August, Ten Years After played the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 to an audience of 600,000 hippies. Their set was highlighted by performances of "I'm Going Home" as well as the blistering guitar solo and tuning parts on "I Can't Keep From Crying".

In 1971, the band released the album A Space In Time, which featured "I'd Love To Change The World", a hippie anthem of sorts, protesting about the Vietnam War and possibly even capitalism itself. At this point in time, Ten Years After were in their heyday: at the beginning of their twelfth US tour, they played to a sold out Madison Square Garden of 20,000 fans.

Taking the second half of 1973 off to pursue side projects, news of a band break-up ran rampant, but the album Positive Vibrations was still recorded and released in 1974. After a tour of the UK, and their last tour (number 28) in the US, Ten Years After broke up for the first time.

Ten Years After reunited in 1983 for a tour of the UK, and in 1988 for several American concerts and a single album, About Time (1989).

In between times, Alvin Lee fronted a band called "Ten Years Later" with a bass player and drummer who did some UK gigs, including the Bristol Coulston Hall.

In 2003, a version of "Ten Years After" re-appeared, featuring every original member except Alvin Lee. Their new guitarist is Joe Gooch. They were still touring France in May 2006.

Discography

Studio and live albums

Ten Years After 1967

Undead 1968

Stonedhenge 1968

Ssssh 1969

Live At The Fillmore East 1970

Cricklewood Green 1970

WATT 1970

A Space In Time 1971

Alvin Lee & Co. 1972

Rock & Roll Music To The World 1972

Recorded Live 1973

Positive Vibrations 1974

About Time 1989

Hello tm4tj, so this is where you are.

Just like to share what is blasting out of my surround sound at 20db just now.

Speed King.....................Deep Purple

Whisky in the jar.............Thin Lizzy

Free Electric Band............Albert Hamond

25 or 6 to 4....................Chicago

I'm a Man.......................Chicago

Ace of Spades..................Motorhead

Lets work together............Canned Heat...........effin brilliant tune

Paranoid.........................Black Sabbath

Spirit in the sky...............Norman Greenbaum

Purple rain......................Prince

She fekkin hates me........Puddle of Mudd

Lifes been good to me.....Joe Walsh

On January 23, l978, Chicago guitarist and singer Terry Kath died from an accidental gunshot wound. "Terry Kath was a great talent" says Jim Guercio, who worked with him on a solo album that was never completed. "Hendrix idolized him. He was just totally committed to this band, and he could have been a monster (as a solo artist)."

But, this is what actually happened:-

Around 5 p.m. on the evening of January 23, 1978, after a party at roadie Don Johnson's home at 5754 Fallbrook Avenue in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, Kath — being a gun enthusiast — took a 9 mm semi-automatic pistol and began cleaning it. When Johnson yelled from the kitchen for Terry to be careful, Kath removed the magazine to 'prove' that the gun was not loaded, pointed the gun in the air and pulled the trigger. However — in his inebriated state — he forgot that some semi-automatic pistols have a built-in safety feature that prevents the discharge of a chambered round when the magazine is removed (this is why the chamber should always be checked visually). When he reinserted the magazine, Kath put the gun to his temple and pulled the trigger, infamously saying, "Don't worry, it's not loaded", in another attempt to prove that everything was safe. Unfortunately, with the magazine reinserted, the chambered round discharged and killed him — a week shy of his 32nd birthday

Albert Hammond (born on 18 May 1942) is a singer-songwriter, whose family came originally from Gibraltar.

Hammond was born in London, due to a war-time shift in family circumstances, and later moved to the United States, where he began his professional career as a musician. He is best known for his hits of the 1970s such as "It Never Rains in Southern California", "The Free Electric Band", and "Down by the River".

Hammond has released albums in both English and Spanish, and recorded many of his songs in both languages.

His son, Albert Hammond Jr, is a member of the band The Strokes.

Canned Heat:-

The group was led by Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson (guitar, harmonica, vocals) and Bob "The Bear" Hite (vocals, harmonica). Henry "Sunflower" Vestine also played guitar and was an ex-member of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention. Larry "The Mole" Taylor (best known up until then as the Monkees session bassist), was their studio bassist, (joining full time through 1970), along with drummer Frank Cook for their first album. Canned Heat took their name from Tommy Johnson's 1928 "Canned Heat Blues", a song about an alcoholic who has desperately turned to drinking Sterno, which is generically called canned heat.

Norman Greenbaum, a singer and songwriter, was born 20 November 1942 in Malden, Massachusetts. He studied music at Boston University. Greenbaum is best known for his "Spirit In The Sky", which sold 2 million copies in 1969 and 1970 . The song, with its combination of "heavy" guitar, hand-clapping, and spiritual lyrics was a memorable one-hit wonder.

The song has been used in many advertisements and television shows as well as films including Remember The Titans, Contact, Apollo 13, Ocean's Eleven, Wayne's World 2 and the 2005 remake of The Longest Yard. A cover version by the British band Doctor and the Medics reached number 1 in many countries in 1986. In 2000, the song was again covered by the Christian Rock group dc Talk for the CBS Mini-series entitled 'JESUS: THE EPIC MINISERIES'. Goldfrapp sampled the song in her 2005 single Ooh La La.

"It sounds as fresh today as when it was recorded," Greenbaum said in an interview. Greenbaum lives in Petaluma, California. He no longer performs in public, but continues to promote concerts and lives off the royalties from his songs.

Greenbaum is notable for the rare achievement of having recorded two one-hit wonders. In 1968, under the name Dr. West's Medicine Show and Junk Band, he recorded the novelty hit "The Eggplant That Ate Chicago" .

Thin Lizzy was an Irish Rock band, formed in Dublin in 1969. The band was led by bassist, songwriter and singer Phil Lynott. Lynott was born in Hallam Hospital (now Sandwell General Hospital) in West Bromwich They are best-known for their 1976 song "The Boys Are Back In Town", He died in January 1986, a victim of drug abuse

Puddle of Mudd:-

The band was named after the band's old practice spot on the Missouri River flooded leaving a puddle of mud in their practice area. The band's original name was Muddle of Pudd, but was later changed to a better sounding Puddle of Mudd

So good, I have put the CD on again.

• 2 weeks later...