FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The ''Clootie Well''

canuck

Just finished reading John Rankin's ''Naming of the dead'' in the book he refers to a ''Clootie Well'' albeit he says it is near Fortrose in the Black Isle. I remember as youngsters we used to cycle to the ''Clootie Well'' at Culloden where we hung rags from the trees, could this possibly be something that still happens? can anybody else share similar memories? I realize I'm going back a long time but Rankin has triggered an old (happy) mememory!

All through his time at ICT, John Rankin gets called Ian Rankin by journalists who confuse him with the author ... the second he moves to Hibs, its the author who starts getting mistaken for the footballer  :015: :015: :015: :015:

My mother's family originally came from Culloden Moor, long before there was any sort of development there.

I recall as a child being taken to the Clootie Well there every first sunday in may known as "Clootie Well Day""

I don't know the origins but there seemed, to my young eyes at least, to be hundreds if not thousands, doing the same thing on the same day. The place was hoaching with many folk taking picnics and the like.

Everyone tied a rag "cloot" to a the branches of trees near to the well presumably to bring luck or ward off some kind of evil.

As I recall there was one particular tree in the area known "The Devil's Tree" where legend had it that if you ran round the trunk three times at midnight wilst naked Old Nick himself would apear.

My mother's family originally came from Culloden Moor, long before there was any sort of development there.

I recall as a child being taken to the Clootie Well there every first sunday in may known as "Clootie Well Day""

I don't know the origins but there seemed, to my young eyes at least, to be hundreds if not thousands, doing the same thing on the same day. The place was hoaching with many folk taking picnics and the like.

Everyone tied a rag "cloot" to a the branches of trees near to the well presumably to bring luck or ward off some kind of evil.

As I recall there was one particular tree in the area known "The Devil's Tree" where legend had it that if you ran round the trunk three times at midnight wilst naked Old Nick himself would apear.

I was going to ask if it worked and then I remembered your occupation and answered my own question.