FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

English clubs in administration

Yngwie

Heard on Five Live this evening a feature on Rotherham, who have gone into administration.

They mentioned the number of cases of administration in the Football League since the Premiership started in 1992.

I'll give you a few seconds to ponder how many you reckon there have been.

A staggering 46! I would imagine that includes cases where a club has gone into administration more than once, but still! Equates to roughly half the clubs.

Most of those clubs have much bigger crowds and income than clubs like ourselves, but too many seemed get carried away in pursuit of the riches of the Premiership.

There might be an element of breaking the bank in a struggle to reach the Premiership but I bet that the majority of the clubs that have gone into administration are in the lowest two divisions with no realistic Premiership ambitions merely struggling to make ends meet.

The clubs down south now break the bank to get to the championship, let alone the premier league.  It is amazing thought when you look at the ex PL clubs that struggle - Barnsey, Swindon, Leeds, Oldham, Forrest, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Wimbledon and others.  We up here may be in a bit better state after all.

Despite the farcicle (spellcheck?) management in terms of football, whoever is in charge of the books at ICT is doing a brilliant job. I believe the only year ICT made a loss was during the groundshare with Aberdeen? Admin has never been  a threat to us unlike c*unty.