FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New Kits

Joonya

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again we have more caley versus thistle pre-merger rants going on...

we're caley thistle - get used to it, I have!!! this thread is for a new kit, not to have a dig at eachother because you're either caley or thistle PRE MERGER!!!

Scotty - This is an ideal place for all designs (home and away) to be drawn and published for the club and its fans to see and decide on what they would like as a caley thistle team strip. It's noticable that many don't/didnt like the 'swoosh' idea. Perhaps just a sticky for this thread to keep it in view so we don't loose it in the midst of all the other threads? I am sure the club would view it more often as 'sticky' items tend to draw more attention.

Not too much of a regular on here, but seeing as this is my line of work (design), I thought I'd add my money's worth.

This design of the home kit has always troubled me, mainly for the basic reason it is red and blue, and bright red and blue at that. These two colours are difficult to get working well together, and apart from Crystal Palace, I can't really think of any other teams who have this combination as stripes. The reason Barca works so well is they are much more subtle tones, navy and ruby red, rather than the bright (garish) colours that we use. However, what is important is the history, and the pedigree of both clubs pre-merger should be celebrated. Its a difficult one, but a fair mix of red and blue it must be.

That aside though, I think the main issue is consistency. An overall basic design should be decided on, stripes, blue shorts, red socks, whatever. But by changing the design every year in such fundamental ways really doesn't help things. This year's shirt for example has no consistency with last years in overall design, which is a real problem in my opinion. How do you keep faith in the jersey if it keeps changing design so drastically? And how do you expect any sense of recognition, especially with young kids if it keeps changing? Although I hate to say it, I can't help thinking of a cheap version of a Rangers shirt when I see this year's top.

The main question should be then what is the overall design? How would you describe it in one sentence; "Red and blue vertical stripes with blue shorts and red socks" for example, and thats what the club should stick with. Every manufacturer will add a wee twist to it, depending on the style of kits they make, but the basis should remain the same. Thats the key.

Anyone agree?

(Oh yes!)

This is one of the saddest threads I've read on this site in a while...

Not only are the grassroots supporters able to articulate a better club image than the paid custodians, they've backed it up with some outstanding designs as well. Well done Gringo (Jr)!

Meantime the 'powers that be' play around with the club image like it's some Barbie re-make.

Stripes!!!!

I personally like caleyD's and Scotty's designs as well as some of my own. some of my own are naff, but what is clear to see on this thread is that the fans have their own ideas for how we'd like our players to look on the field.

I'm going to continue designing kits, as I know personally that the club DO take note of these ideas as I am certain they used a design based on one of my ideas at the turn of the millenium. I only hope the board members, players, kit man take a serious look through them and see that us fans want to improve the club and its image

i liked a suggestion earlier in the post about perhaps mixing the red and blue and making a purple strip. maybe something similar to the colour of the fiorentina strips.

this completely removes the element of having to keep both halves of the merger happy, whilst giving something new for the supporters who have moved on from caley and thistle and support caley thistle.

only an opinion, feel free to shoot me down.

as far as i'm concerned the home shirt should be red and blue stripes every couple of years changing the dominant colour.

GJ/Scotty/CD - I know we have had many polls and threads on this in the past but what about a new poll(s) now that there has been some fresh discussion about strip colours/designs and the ICT branding....and the fact that a new away strip will be appearing....my personal feeling is that the home strip is the main issue and that there will be a preference to one particular theme and no guesses as to what that may be. We have played in some pretty awful away strips over the last 14 years and I am sure that will not change - can't remember a pink one though but might be wrong.... :rotflmao:

This is the ideal opportunity to summarize the good work that has been presented on this thread and provide the club with a lit bit of quantified research on what is wanted by the fans to give their club an identity going forward (and equally what will sell best....)

i liked a suggestion earlier in the post about perhaps mixing the red and blue and making a purple strip. maybe something similar to the colour of the fiorentina strips.

this completely removes the element of having to keep both halves of the merger happy, whilst giving something new for the supporters who have moved on from caley and thistle and support caley thistle.

only an opinion, feel free to shoot me down.

No, you have impeccable taste, and now that there are three of us who like the idea of purple, I'm sure we can force it through as the next away colour :rotflmao:

I don't see any harm in us having a poll in order for us to put forward something like a top 3 favourite design for the fans for an Away strip at the moment - since that is the one we're due to change next.

People are still coming up with ideas and suggestions, so we'll leave it a bit yet before going through and pulling out all the designs and putting a poll together.

GJ/Scotty/CD - I know we have had many polls and threads on this in the past but what about a new poll(s) now that there has been some fresh discussion about strip colours/designs and the ICT branding....and the fact that a new away strip will be appearing....my personal feeling is that the home strip is the main issue and that there will be a preference to one particular theme and no guesses as to what that may be. We have played in some pretty awful away strips over the last 14 years and I am sure that will not change - can't remember a pink one though but might be wrong.... :rotflmao:

This is the ideal opportunity to summarize the good work that has been presented on this thread and provide the club with a lit bit of quantified research on what is wanted by the fans to give their club an identity going forward (and equally what will sell best....)

My thought on this are slightly exended...

There is supposidly meant to be a quarterly meeting with the club and fans, so why not print all the designs off from this forum, lay them on the table, and let this new 'Kit Committee' select their collective favourite 3 or 4 home and away designs.

We can then have 2 polls (one home, one away) on both the official and CTO websites' for the fans to choose their prefered strips.

This could be an annual thing where the 'kit committee' meet to get the best designs sorted from the naff, and have a poll each year for the new home or away strip depending on what kit is due for renewal?

There is supposidly meant to be a quarterly meeting with the club and fans, so why not print all the designs off from this forum, lay them on the table, and let this new 'Kit Committee' select their collective favourite 3 or 4 home and away designs.

We can then have 2 polls (one home, one away) on both the official and CTO websites' for the fans to choose their prefered strips.

This could be an annual thing where the 'kit committee' meet to get the best designs sorted from the naff, and have a poll each year for the new home or away strip depending on what kit is due for renewal?

I don't really want to burst anyone's bubble as there have been some cracking and imaginitave designs, but you have to remember one crucial thing ..... The type of designs available WILL be limited to those that are included in the vendor's templates for the relevant year.

I very much doubt that Caley Thistle have the clout, or the level of shirt sales where they could force Errea (or any supplier for that matter) to come up with a custom design template ... we will be forced to select a shirt from one of maybe a dozen pre-defined templates and customise it that way.

As I mentioned above, I have added the PSD files for 07/08 and 08/09 to our download section and the two designs I added in my postings above came from the Errea files included in those PSD files. A step forward would be the club asking for, and receiving templates for the 09/10 templates ahead of schedule which would allow the fans to work with those templates and come up with something that Errea would actually be able to produce. in fact, I may add that question as one of my own for next month's BB.

I don't really want to burst anyone's bubble as there have been some cracking and imaginitave designs, but you have to remember one crucial thing ..... The type of designs available WILL be limited to those that are included in the vendor's templates for the relevant year.

I very much doubt that Caley Thistle have the clout, or the level of shirt sales where they could force Errea (or any supplier for that matter) to come up with a custom design template ... we will be forced to select a shirt from one of maybe a dozen pre-defined templates and customise it that way.

As I mentioned above, I have added the PSD files for 07/08 and 08/09 to our download section and the two designs I added in my postings above came from the Errea files included in those PSD files. A step forward would be the club asking for, and receiving templates for the 09/10 templates ahead of schedule which would allow the fans to work with those templates and come up with something that Errea would actually be able to produce. in fact, I may add that question as one of my own for next month's BB.

Scotty I agree to a point - I think Errea is part of the problem but that is another topic and not necessarily the shirt design issue we are currently discussing....

I also think that if a club wants a certain design then the shirt manufacturer will take that on board....it appears we share our shirt design with Al-Nasr of Kuwait....it could have been worse you should see what FC Ryukyu ended up with.... :rotflmao:

Errea do supply for example striped shirts for clubs this season along with many other designs. Many of the clubs that have striped shirts are provincial teams or from leagues that have a smaller support than ICT. I think the club is at fault in my opinion but that also is another story. I agree with your suggestion about the templates as that would allow some good ideas to be developed. I have attached a few examples of some of the current season Errea striped tops from theitr web-site - there are many more along with many varied designs that would make some excellent away tops....

Atalanta

{D358B421-45F3-46C1-8FD2-9F54998C8227}_MAGLIA_CALCIO_ATALANTA.jpg

Benevento Calcio

{90CB3E13-299D-4682-8395-5A2E435B80A6}_MAGLIA_CALCIO_BENEVENTO.jpg

Atalanta Femminile

Canottieri Belluno

{60BEB8E0-EDD5-4705-B670-70D1229E9E15}_MAGLIA_CALCIO_CANOTTIERI_BELLUNO_C5.jpg

West Adelaide

{48F9CF74-D2F3-4E01-8340-44D55E86930C}_MAGLIA_CALCIO_WEST%20ADELAIDE.jpg

Charleroi

{69E743AC-B109-4008-92D0-B4386D5EEEC5}_MAGLIA_CALCIO_CHARLEROI.jpg

Brighton and Hove Albion

{D3C71AA2-21C4-4487-A0A5-DEC609D874D0}_MAGLIA_CALCIO_BRIGHTON.jpg

FK Auda

{8E3AD076-A4B4-4908-ABEB-1CD8F4D6646E}_MAGLIA_CALCIO_AUDA_FK.jpg

In addition an existing Errea supplied shirt that may make a half decent away kit for next season with very little modification....

{076454D1-A0FF-4259-97D1-062B13A6C125}_MAGLIA_CALCIO_CRYSTAL_PALACE.jpg

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

Here's one that Errea already have in production. Just change the logo and sponsor

Good opportunity to get away from the old arguments. The blue and black stripes/black shorts/blue socks for home and a complete change to yellow and red sripes/red shorts/yellow socks for away. An alternative could be Navy and White stripes.

An idea/quick example of how you could easily keep the same design for the home top and make it different by simply flipping the red and blue.

post-3-1226958059.jpg

post-3-1226958070.jpg

Pass these to the club now! Still not sure about your away top it has to be said. Away top could yellow with a bit of blue and red to keep Flybe happy!

I like the black one...in fact, I wouldn't mind us sticking with a predominantly black away strip as I think they look smart.

As was suggested earlier, I think there's a market for a 3rd "retro" shirt every couple of seasons. Doesn't have to be an official one either, that way we could look to get them done without restricting ourselves to the designs of the manufacturer of them.