FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Charles Kennedy is an ICT fan....

Tichy_Blacks_Back

From the Guardian Rumour Mill....mildly amusing.... :thumb04:

Football transfer rumours: Charles Kennedy to become Caley Thistle fan?

The Rumour Mill doesn't hobnob with the stars too often, so please forgive us for the following indulgent anecdote. Last night, your favourite tardy gossip column was one of the lucky folk attending a press screening of hot new flick Frost/Nixon. And once the Mill had sold all the Kia-Oras, King Cones and bumper packets of Butterkist in its tray, it was allowed to stay and sit on the steps at the back to watch the film! (Providing the phrase "Coo! Moving pictures!" was not uttered too often or too loudly.)

This being a media shindig, the film was followed by a roundtable discussion involving, among others not relevant to this morning's bumper crop of balls, Charles Kennedy. After the cinematic chat, the Mill escaped out front for a fag. And who should be there standing alone, sucking happily on his lovely cigarette, but the aforementioned former Liberal Democrats leader.

A long-time fan of Kennedy's cheroot-chuffing antics, the Mill decided contact simply had to be made. But how? Embrace the politico in order to commend him for his in-depth silver-screen analysis? Or drone on in a tedious manner, in the style of a prize eejit, about football? Decisions, decisions.

[RUMOUR MILL slaps CHARLES KENNEDY on back in frankly over-familiar fashion]

RUMOUR MILL: Hello, Mr Kennedy, pleased to meet you. Thank you for your talk about the film.

CHARLES KENNEDY: Oh, thank you very much.

RUMOUR MILL [desperately attempting to draw the electorial boundaries for Ross, Cromarty & Skye in its head, then conjuring up fictional localised news stories on the hoof]: Anyway, have you heard that Ossie Ardiles has been named as the new manager of Inverness Caledonian Thistle? What do you think about that? You must be a fan, yes?

CHARLES KENNEDY [genuinely interested]: Really? I hadn't heard. That's exciting news. But ... er ... no. I'm not. I want them to do well. But they're not in my constituency any more. My ward is now Ross, Skye and Lochabar. Ross County are the big team I represent, though I do still look across the Kessock Bridge to see how Caley Thistle are doing. But Ardiles? That's amazing. I must tell my ...

RUMOUR MILL [pathetically attempting, Nixon style, to cover up a tangled web of lies]: Er ... don't bank on that being necessarily true. It was in ... an ... article ... on ... the internet.

CHARLES KENNEDY [highly amused]: Well, everything on the internet is true, isn't it?!

RUMOUR MILL: Er ...

CHARLES KENNEDY [genuinely, and without knowing how the Mill puts the bread on the table]: Though funnily enough, the quality of sports journalism on the web is usually really high. So Ardiles, you say? Thanks for telling me ...

[RUMOUR MILL makes its excuses and runs off in floods of hot, snivelly, guilty tears]

By no stretch of the Mill's limited imagination is it proud of this shameful horror. Ardiles is only one of four men to have expressed an interest in the vacant Caley Jags job ? Terry Butcher, Archie Knox and John Robertson are the others ? so the Rumour Mill knowingly fed Mr Kennedy worthless information. Now this doesn't set him apart from any one of the many thousands of readers to have suffered at the hands of the Rumours over the years, granted, but still. And as Kennedy was one of the most unassuming and genuinely polite men the Mill has ever met, some kind of karmic payback is due to him someday. We'll keep that in mind.

Rumours who would believe them.... so here we go Robbo IS the new manager.... just nobody has told him yet.... :rotflmao:

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back