Sweety Rustlers Take Heart

Guest birdog

Guest birdog

I just spent some time in the drydocking facilities in Birkenhead and whilst there 14 members of our motley crew decided to visit Anfield. We enjoyed the standard of football on offer but my main aim in paying my ?36.50 was to soak up a little of the famous Kop atmosphere. Unfortunately the stewards at Anfield are as bad as ours for jumping down the throats of those wishing to create some fun. Standing is most certainly as frowned upon at the once great stadium and I am now certain that the stewarding of home fans is the biggest enemy of creating an atmosphere within football stadia. The Sunderland fans out sang and out shouted the liverpool fans for a whole 90 minutes and apart from the odd rendition of LLLLLIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVEEEERRRRPOOOLLLLL the atmosphere in the home end was flat. I would even go as far as saying the youngsters in the North Stand at TCS are capable of creating a better atmosphere, fair enough there may be other factors, Liverpool's poor form lately and uncertainty regarding their owners but the Kop is not what it was and I would blame the stewarding in the main. So take heart guys we are not the only ones suffering from a lack of noise lately and we are definately on the ascendency both on and off the pitch.

Guest birdog

I mentioned this myself. Was there in May when they beat MCFC 1-0 and the City fans made all the noise.

Did you visit any of the bars around the stadium? They were jumping on Tuesday and the atmosphere that was missing inside the Stadium was very prevalent in the bars, Scousers are an excellent bunch of people, I do like that city. Going to go to Goodison next chance I get, have heard that since they are exceeding their fan's expectations atm the atmosphere there is really good.

• 3 weeks later...

Surely it's not always that bad?

I went to White Hart Lane for the Tottenham/Spartak match in December and it was a great atmosphere. They had a steward who would walk about where the ball boys were who would gesture with his hands for people to sit down but many just repeated this gesture back at him and stood for the whole game, no trouble at all.