Our Tel

TheKnowledge

Did brew get money to spend on players?

I know TB never really had the chance to play around with the money. Dont even know if the club gave him money in january to spend even though he only had a few days left in the transfer market

well he got money for dougie, money not well spent but yeah got a little i guess.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I know it doesnt work like that ... and you are correct, Brewster's first 15 games in charge after taking over from Charlie were promising to say the least, with wins over Hearts (twice), Celtic and Dundee Utd and a run of 5 wins in a row .... it just went downhill after that (which also happened in his first spell).

Like Mantis, I am not saying Butcher is the messiah, I just dont think there deserves to be so much anti-Butcher sentiment after 15 games in such difficult circumstances. In 07/08 Brewster had a decent record - winning 37% of games, losing 51% and drawing the rest - but in 08/09 that record had changed to winning 22% and losing nearly 70% so he had to go. Butcher has a record of 33% in each of the W/L/D categories so far and personally that is "average" or "adequate" as far as I am concerned. I would expect Butcher to post far higher numbers in 09/10 or he will too be on a sticky wicket.

For comparison sakes .... Robbo's division 1 championship winning side had a league record of 58.3% wins, 19.4% draws and 22.2% losses so I would say that might be a reasonable benchmark to aim at next season ?

I know TB never really had the chance to play around with the money. Dont even know if the club gave him money in january to spend even though he only had a few days left in the transfer market

well he got money for dougie, money not well spent but yeah got a little i guess.

There wasnt really any player standing out at that time was there? Well not what i can remember off anyway

Oh I know it doesnt work like that ... and you are correct, Brewster's first 15 games in charge after taking over from Charlie were promising to say the least, with wins over Hearts (twice), Celtic and Dundee Utd and a run of 5 wins in a row .... it just went downhill after that (which also happened in his first spell).

That happens to every club they will have a great spell getting goals all over the pitch, taking the full points but then out of the blue they will be getting no where, no goals and picking up the odd point

That happens to every club they will have a great spell getting goals all over the pitch, taking the full points but then out of the blue they will be getting no where, no goals and picking up the odd point

My point is that it has happened to Brewster 3 times now ... with us, with DUFC and with us again .... I dont know the man and I have no axe to grind with him other than the fact I believe he was ripping the heart out of our team. I dont think he was doing it on purpose, he was just not cut out to be an SPL manager at that point of his career.

Butcher may end up being no better, and there is evidence to support that - Brentford, Australia etc - but his SPL record since his hiring was better than Brewsters record when he got sacked and that should be an end to it. There is also the fact that he did reasonably well at another SPL club, which is something Brewster could not do.

However, and I have been at pains to point this out, even with mitigating factors taken into account, Butcher's record right now is, at best, "average" and only a better record next season should be acceptable to both him and to us. I dont accept the viewpoint of some fans that we can solely blame him for our relegation in the same way as I dont accept the viewpoint that we can lay ALL the blame at Brewster's door. Its been a bad season and there is more than enough blame and s*** to go around !

There wasnt really any player standing out at that time was there? Well not what i can remember off anyway

to be honest i can't really remember who was available at the time, probably not a lot though.

I don't know if Butcher will get a chance to produce his own team as the funding may not be there. Anyhoo, you guys are right. He needs a new season for us to judge him on and using Robbo's record as the bench mark is fair enough. I was just wanting to point out that what is said in the WSC article, is all similar (apart from sectarianism) to what we have seen so far but, in a different league, at a different time, with a different team, and a different assistant. I am still genuinely hoping for immediate promotion. If he does that, he'll be warmly remembered here forever, no matter what has, or hasn't happened at previous clubs.

I think we are all basically saying the same things here but with different slants ........

We all want ICT to do well (except the odd visitor from other clubs)

We all have different expectations - some of us set the bar too high, some perhaps too low

We all have different "tipping points" where its just not good enough and change has to happen.

Because ICT is the most important part of the equation, I believe we all wanted CB to do well in both his first and second stints as manager. Some may have been against him as soon as he was re-appointed but they didnt want him to fail as that means ICT fail. Some were with him right up until the end as they thought he could weather the storm. At the end of the day we all have varying opinions on how his tenure went or when his reign should have been ended but thats history now and we move on.

As far as Butcher is concerned, I think we can all see he started well and whether that is because he once again has Malpas by his side like he did at Motherwell, or because of the "bounce" who knows but ultimately the challenge he was presented with proved too big. He now has a chance to prove that he is capable and with our limited budget hopefully he can also use his name and contacts to pull some rabbits out of the hat in terms of loans or astute deals. If it is going pear shaped I am sure he will walk long before we call for his head but again, that will be because ICT are hurting so none of us should want that.

Support the club, support the manager, support the team .... you know it makes sense !!!