FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Sneckers get everywhere

culduthel

Was down in Queenstown the Ski centre of NZ in the South Island recently for a holiday. Arrived day one at the slopes. The guy managing the Ski School Ticket centre was from Edinburgh but born and brought up in Inverness. Went over to the ski hire shop to get my kids fixed up. Girl running that shop was born in Aviemore but had lived nearly all her life to date in the Sneck, been in NZ on a working holiday for last year or so. She told me she was sharing a house in Queenstown with four other Scots - two of which were from Inverness. A Manager in one of the bars in town was from the Sneck. Was in the Mall in the centre of town waiting for my kids who were doing some retail therapy when two girls with the broadest Sneck accents come past chatting away.

Is there anyone left in the town nowadays? I reckon from my year at school about 50% left the Sneck to live and work elsewhere. Is that about right?

By the way how many posters on here are Sneckers who are now living "out of Town"?

If you can sift through all the incomers, you occasionally find a born and bred invernessian like myself!

That's an interesting point actually. I was discussing with someone recently, if everyone in Inverness who weren't born there, were told to leave, how many people would be left. Not that many I reckon.

Plenty of folk from Glasgow or Edinburgh working at our firm (in all corners of the world) but imagine my surprise when I came across a new employee in our office the other week from Thurso !!!

PS - me = born in Raigmore, brought up in Dalneigh :lol:

If you can sift through all the incomers, you occasionally find a born and bred invernessian like myself!

That's an interesting point actually. I was discussing with someone recently, if everyone in Inverness who weren't born there, were told to leave, how many people would be left. Not that many I reckon.

Just born in Sneck or the local area?

I reckon many now living in Sneck have moved in from within 50 miles. It'd be a tough call to bar those of us born nearby (drumnadrochit) who moved away then came back

I can't understand why that would come up in any conversation unless off course your name is Nick Griffin.