FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Government Finally gettting something right?

LINK

The Archbishop of Canterbury has accused the government of treating religious faith as an "eccentricity" practised by "oddities".

The Archbishop is correct. In answer to your question, since when has the Labour government got ANYTHING right. This pathetic lot should never be voted into power ever again. There is an exception though, in parts of Weggieland voting Labour is a must - it guarantees the lazy ******** their Giro cheques.

LINK

The Archbishop of Canterbury has accused the government of treating religious faith as an "eccentricity" practised by "oddities".

The Archbishop is correct. In answer to your question, since when has the Labour government got ANYTHING right. This pathetic lot should never be voted into power ever again. There is an exception though, in parts of Weggieland voting Labour is a must - it guarantees the lazy ******** their Giro cheques.

I would prefere Labour than the Tories.

[

They're so close politically now, it's tough to see any major differences. They both follow the same economic policies (credit crunch would have happened with both). They both support the war in Iraq (and Afghanistan). Brown is pro-EU but won't do anything about it, Cameron is anti-EU but won't do anything about it.

Neither are anywhere near close to the parties of the 1980s, be that Thatcher on one hand or Foot/Kinnock on the other. Instead, the John Major/Ken Clarke government is the role model for both parties.

Strangely enough, I sat next to a couple of House of Lords Tory Ladies (as in Lords and...) who were both saying that they thought the UK had a pretty good Conservative government. This was in 2006.

[

They're so close politically now, it's tough to see any major differences. They both follow the same economic policies (credit crunch would have happened with both). They both support the war in Iraq (and Afghanistan). Brown is pro-EU but won't do anything about it, Cameron is anti-EU but won't do anything about it.

Neither are anywhere near close to the parties of the 1980s, be that Thatcher on one hand or Foot/Kinnock on the other. Instead, the John Major/Ken Clarke government is the role model for both parties.

Strangely enough, I sat next to a couple of House of Lords Tory Ladies (as in Lords and...) who were both saying that they thought the UK had a pretty good Conservative government. This was in 2006.

True, though Thatcher was a Tory which settles it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ironically....over in the US...if you dont at least claim to believe on God.....you simply wont get anywhere in Politics. They are so backward at times.

At least the head of state in the US doesn't have to defend anyone's faith and religious leaders aren't appointed to legislature.

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically....over in the US...if you dont at least claim to believe on God.....you simply wont get anywhere in Politics. They are so backward at times.

At least the head of state in the US doesn't have to defend anyone's faith and religious leaders aren't appointed to legislature.

Spot on Chris. It is also possible to be head of state and a Catholic in the States unlike Great England/Britain.

[

True, though Thatcher was a Tory which settles it for me.

DC, your too young to have experienced the end of the Thatcher reign let alone the beginning. Thatcher, for all her faults, done a lot more for the lower classes of this country than any labour government ever could. Prior to her the minions were paying 30% tax. Prior to her the minions could not afford to buy a house. She brought in the system that allowed people to buy the house they rented. She also made it easier for those minions to obtain mortgages.

Her reforms of the rating system were badly needed. Unfortunately her replacement for this, the Poll Tax, was a disaster. The poorer with bigger families were the sufferers of this reform.

Is this a wind up Alex?

Or have you forgotten about mass unemployment, the complete demolition of our iron, steel and coal industries, interest rates at a record 15%, negative equity, the imposition of the ghastly poll tax on Scotland a year before the rest of the UK.

The selling off of council houses created a desperate shortage of affordable rented accommodation for all those she had made reduntant.

The Thatcher years were a living nightmare.

Would you really want to go back down that road?

DC, your too young to have experienced the end of the Thatcher reign let alone the beginning. Thatcher, for all her faults, done a lot more for the lower classes of this country than any labour government ever could. Prior to her the minions were paying 30% tax. Prior to her the minions could not afford to buy a house. She brought in the system that allowed people to buy the house they rented. She also made it easier for those minions to obtain mortgages.

Her reforms of the rating system were badly needed. Unfortunately her replacement for this, the Poll Tax, was a disaster. The poorer with bigger families were the sufferers of this reform.

And now there are no council houses left for the " minions " to rent .

Is this a wind up Alex?

Or have you forgotten about mass unemployment, the complete demolition of our iron, steel and coal industries, interest rates at a record 15%, negative equity, the imposition of the ghastly poll tax on Scotland a year before the rest of the UK.

The selling off of council houses created a desperate shortage of affordable rented accommodation for all those she had made reduntant.

Johnboy, you forgot to mention the demolition of the motor industry, shipbuilding and more. Between them Labour and the Tories have been crippling Scotland for years. What have we got left?

Further afield, Muslims are planning a march through Wootten Bassett along the route that the coffins of the soldiers killed in Afghanistan is driven along. Is the Labour government going to stop this, don't put your money on it.

Is this a wind up Alex?

Johnboy, you forgot to mention the demolition of the motor industry, shipbuilding and more. Between them Labour and the Tories have been crippling Scotland for years. What have we got left?

Further afield, Muslims are planning a march through Wootten Bassett along the route that the coffins of the soldiers killed in Afghanistan is driven along. Is the Labour government going to stop this, don't put your money on it.

Everyone in this free country of ours has the right to protest , why would the government stop it ?

Is this a wind up Alex?

Everyone in this free country of ours has the right to protest , why would the government stop it ?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

So much for having the right to vote I feel its like going in to a rough neighbourhood and having the option of being able to pick the person who you would most like to rob you later that evening.

Politics is more to do with representing and supporting the majority as long as you have policies to look after them they will keep them in a job.

I would far rather a successful business men/persons run the country instead of politicians running round in circles getting tied up in their own policies and then appointing quangos to resolve the problem who then have an investigation to warrant revised policies.

I cant speak for all politicians but the usual entry route seems to be via the council so they have already been institutionalised into having no real business acumen, what I mean is its more to do with policies than looking at the real value of money.In the mean time the council workers on the lower rungs of the ladder and us get screwed for their mistakes.

IE Cutting back on gritting the roads by to trying to save money, will equate to 10 times the cost on repairs caused by letting the water into the tarmac to then freeze not to mention the added strain on the emergency services but thats OK because that comes from a different budget in a different department but it still costs us money .

Polices seem to override common sense and a bizarre logic seem to run rife throughout the government establishments.If you don't spend/waste the money given to your dept, next years funding will be less.

If it was up to me: no career politicians! You get a job, run a business, face unemployment, have to lay workers off. Whatever. Life experience comes before a political career.

As for Labour getting something right...

I see a few months before an election, without really any time to elect a new leader and just as the polls say Brown/ Labour is picking up points, a couple of ministers decide this is the right time to force a leadership challenge. Unbelievable! Political suicide.

Anyway...Muslims (especially British Muslims) have the right to protest every bit as much as anyone else. Islam4UKdefinitely have a point over killing of innocents, a bit like the BNP has a point over immigration, but behind the facade of these parties is an odious stench of racial and religious hatred. What these extremists want is race war. Don't fall into the trap of believing they're doing it for the innocents in Afghanistan or the good of Britain. They want war! That way the non-extremists (i.e. the vast majority, probably you an me) are dragged into hating someone that really doesn't mean any harm at all.

Ok DAM I'll take the bait , so do you not think British Muslims should be able to protest ?

Sorted.

The whole debate is seen as us and them but it's not. We are all the same. Their wanting to march and highlight the futility of the conflict in Afghanistan, an unwinnable war against the Taliban. No one ever really wins any war but there are plenty who die and many more who suffer.