FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caledonian FC away Strips

BornCaley

I usually take a trip through Mantis's Caledonian FC nostalgia site from time to time. However on this trip i noticed that in a few of the old team pics; Caley adopted a Red & White striped away strip during the mid to late 60's and again in 76/77. Did this away strip go on or was it stopped? To be honest i cant recall ever seeing Caley play in this strip from when i first started supporting them in 80/81.

As always a great site to shed a tear and feel that shiver down the spine.

Short answer- I don't know. Maybe ask CB or DJS or somebody else.

Slightly longer answer- maybe just as happens today. Change strips are often chosen on a whim. Maybe some members of the committee liked it.

CT's first ever away strip was red and white vertical strips.

That's correct KB and I remember being at the meeting in the Caley Club early in 1994 when Norman Miller floated that very idea of using an old Caley away strip as the inaugural CT away strip in the hope of a favourable reaction from some of the Caley "doubters".

With blue shorts IIRC, worn at Dens Park on 17/8/94. Not sure if/when it was worn again.

Sorry Scotty, had a look but I can't help either! Gordon Gillespie or Ian Broadfoot are about the only hope.

With blue shorts IIRC, worn at Dens Park on 17/8/94. Not sure if/when it was worn again.

Sorry Scotty, had a look but I can't help either! Gordon Gillespie or Ian Broadfoot are about the only hope.

It's certainly not shown in Ian Broadfoot's book nor in mine but I've definitely seen it, as apparently has Mantis. I'm sure it was there at the very first strip and shirt sponsor (Citylink) launch at the Haughdale Hotel on July 29th 1994 - 24 hours before the first friendly against St. Mirren at Telford Street.

There is also a reference on P46 of Against all Odds to Norman floating the idea of such a deisgn, an old Caley one, at the meeting in the Caley Club on 26th January 1994 which APPEARED to end so peacefully that Mr. Beaumont famously stated that he didn't think he had clients any more! :smile: