FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Copa America

MrCaleyjag

How many people are as excited as me about the Copa America?

Ok maybe it's because I have been starved of football for a few weeks or the fact I am stuck at home for almost three months after having major surgery and it'll pass the time but I am really looking forward to seeing the best of South American football coming together for another big tournament.

I will, if enough people are interested, post the scores along with a brief roundup of each game, let me know what your thoughts are and if you want updates.

The first game is Argentina v Bolivia KO: 1st July 21:45 (00:45 + GMT) followed by Columbia v Costa Rica 2nd July 15:30 (18:30 GMT)

I didn't manage to stay awake for the opening game but managed to catch the second half when it was replayed yesterday afternoon and didn't watch the Columbia game as I opted for the Haye fight instead but here's a wee quick breakdown of the first games.

Argentina 1v1 Bolivia

Argentina struggled in the opener against Bolivia who I am led to believe are only taking part in the tournament after Japan pulled out and are seen by most as the weakest team in the tournament. Bolivia took the lead in the 47th minute from a corner swung in from the keepers right which was flicked on by Edivaldo Rojas and crept through the legs of Ever Banega the squirm just over over the line. Argentina fielding players of the likes of Carlos Tevez, Lionel Messi, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Javier Mascherano, Gabriel Milito and Esteban Cambiasso relentlessly pushed forward searching for the equaliser and were rewarded through a fine strike from substitute Sergio Aguero in the 75th minute. Despite their dominance they weren't able to grab the lead and for most this is seen already as the possible shock result of the tournament

Columbia 1v0 Costa Rica

Costa Rica went down to 10 men after 27 mins when Randall Brenes got sent off for what the referee deemed to be an over the top tackle (I saw it once but was half asleep at the time so can't comment), the only goal of the game came in the 45th minute from Columbia, Adrian Ramos claiming the winning goal to put his team top of group A after the first matches.

Tonights games are: Brazil v Venezuela (KO: 20:00hrs BST) and Paraguay v Ecuador (KO: 22:30hrs BST) both games live on ESPN. I will be watching both hopefully so should be able to give a better account of them tomorrow than the ones above.

I have included a link below to the official website for the tournament for anyone that is interested.

http://www.ca2011.com/

Bolivia 0v2 Costa Rica

After two games each in group C it's still anyone from all 4 that have a chance of qualifying for the quarter finals, Argentina will no doubt be wanting to prove a point in their last group game after being booed off the pitch against Columbia.

Tonights games:

Uruguay v Chile (KO: 2315hrs BST)

Peru v Mexico (KO: 0145hrs BST)