FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Transfer summary

Libero

Happy with this seasons transfer dealings?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the signings we have made this season?

• Yes
    • No
    • Time will tell
  2. 2. Have the replacements strengthened the squad?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Simple choice here, who would you prefer?

• Munro and Duncan
    • Hogg and Jones

had a debate with a few friends at the game on Saturday about squad changes since last season and it got me thinking.

I know the transfer window is still open but it looks as if our transfer activity has finished for the time being. So has our squad improved, stayed the same or is it too soon to tell

Personally:

1) i am pretty happy with the transfers and i think there is a lot of potential in the squad now

2) i definately feel we have strengthened and think there is a lot more strength in depth in the squad along with some added versatility.

3) Lastly the tough question; from a purely sentimental point of view i want to say Munro and Duncan however for footballing perspective there is little doubt for me that i would say Hogg and Jones.

Overall im very satisfied with the additions we have made. Some of which are terrific prospects.

There is no doubt that the team was in need of a freshen up, im sure many heads were turned with the amount of players that departed and some of the names amongst it but i think with the resources we have and the task that was faced in filling the massive gaps in the squad i think Terry and Mo have done an outstanding job. Especially in the midfield. Tansey and Jones look like great additions and the permanent signing of Doran was a stroke of genius.

In defence i think they did well too, Aldred and Piermayr look like terrific propspects and the boost of getting Hogg back will have done no harm either, Josh Meekings is also another youngster with bags of potential. Another thing was the way he dealt with the situation of Kerrea Gilbert, dont mess with Butcher or he will mess with you - i liked the attitude.

Up front has been well strengthened but still needs improved i think. Tade has a great workrate and is not afraid to get stuck in, McKay apparently has a great workrate too and i cant wait to see him in action. Only concern is both of them are facing a spell out and i would say we are maybe in need of one more striker.

But as said, this squad has bundles potential and enthusiasm and i dont think its a case of if we win - its a case of when. Once this squad gels i can see us springing a few suprises throughout the season.

I feel exactly the same. We just need to start winning games and wait for the "new" team to gel together. My only concern is how long tht could take. "/ Also, I would like to see another striker, maybe tall and strong to help hold up the ball but I dont see tht happening. But like ajsict92 says, WHEN the team gels together, this squad will be VERY promising.

Edited by madsooz

People will talk about missing Rooney but he's now a Championship level striker. It's doubtful we can get one in of that quality even though ICT did their best in regard to Adam. Just like Rooney, we've tried to buy in a striker (who then went to Accrington Stanley) and then got another promising player in instead (Mackay), as well as someone who looked the business in SFL1 (Tade), even if his goal-scoring wasn't the best.

I don't see Aberdeen or St Johnstone being able to buy in a 20-goal striker, fully developed, so how can we, without getting rid of a good few other players? Even the likes of Darren Mackie are outwith our wage structure, I'm guessing, and I don't see he would be bring that many goals. So we will be looking for that diamond in the dirt.

The only proven goalscorer we could possibly have brought in would be Rory McAllister. A 20 goal striker from the SPL is impossible. Let's just see if there's another Hayes or Rooney idling away in someone's reserves, just waiting for that chance instead.

I'm happy with the squad and believe that once we have a fully fit squad available we'll get the goals we need to make top 6. While we'll obviously miss Adam, his departure has created an opening for others in the squad to fill.

I have confidence in the squad but am not overconfident like I have been in previous seasons.

Who are u talking about Alex? What about Iain Russell of Livingston? I think his contract runs out quite soon aswell and he MUST be in our price range? He has also been scoring some real crackers for livi in almost every game this season? What are every1 elses thoughts about this guy?

read this which gives me a bit more confidence that we have strengthened the squad, good to hear the players views on how the squad has progressed:

There's a different squad here from last year but it's a good squad. Players have come in from a good standard and they are of a good calibre.

The training has gone up a few levels and the standard is a bit higher in training in terms of passing the ball and getting about each other. So it's only a matter of time

Chris Hogg interview with STV

Who are u talking about Alex? What about Iain Russell of Livingston? I think his contract runs out quite soon aswell and he MUST be in our price range? He has also been scoring some real crackers for livi in almost every game this season? What are every1 elses thoughts about this guy?

A clue just for you sooz...............he scored nine last season and 15 the season before. His selflessness contributed a great deal in Rooneys tally over the two seasons.

The last question is a bit of a funny one. IMO Grant Munro is just as good as Aldred and Hogg. If Tansey is a replacement for anyone it's Ian Black - and it's long overdue. I would say though that from the one occasion I have seen him, Owain Tudor Jones looks to be a better, stronger and taller version of Russell Duncan, so that position has been improved - Jones also looks like he's capable of passing the ball to a team-mate, which is more than can be said for his predecessor!

If you are making comparisons in the "here and now" between Hogg / Tudor Jones and Granty / Russelldhino then it simply is No Contest.

I feel that the signings have been good but I will still be looking for survival this year - and I would take a cup run this season in preference to a Top Six finish. Our side is full of potential but a team takes time to gel. We need to start picking up pints soon or we will be in a catch up position. I always felt that this was a two season rebuilding programme but the "danger" will be that Piermayr and Tudor Jones may not finish the course if they play to yheir potentials as they will be snapped up.

So lets not get carried away.