FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Cost of a Rangers NewCo to our club.......

CaleyD

What would you do???  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you make a regular monthly contribution?

• Yes - Regardless
    • Yes- If Rangers NewCo was refused entry to SPL
    • Yes - If Rangers NewCo was submitted to SPL
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. How much would you consider (Monthly)?

• £10
    • £25
    • £50
    • £100
    • More
    • Something, but don't know how much.
    • I don't have money, but I would give time.
    • I said No/Unsure above, so count me as zero.

My question is.....

Are we as fans willing to put a bit of money where our mouth is? Would we be willing to put our hands in our pocket (more than we do already) in order to maintain the sporting integrity of the league?

One of the things that has been playing around in my head with the whole Rangers NewCo thing is that one way or the other it is going to cost ICT (as it will every other club).

A lot of fans (myself included) think that any Club that goes through insolvency should be sent packing.

I'm a fairly idealistic person when it comes to such things, but not so idealistic that I don't appreciate that when the club involved is someone like Rangers then the financial hit of getting rid is, arguably, greater than the financial hit of keeping them....certainly in the short term.

Please try and answer as honestly as possible. I know giving more cash isn't an option for everyone and have included a choice to try and cover that scenario. Please don't say you will give more than you could because that's how much you would like to give on strength of feelings about the situation.

Think it also best to assume nothing in return....although if such a thing became reality I'm sure there would be room to negotiate for something in return (shares or whatever).

Please feel free to discuss below, but try and keep it as specific as possible to the topic.

There's another thread running elsewhere for discussion on other aspects of the situation -

If Rangers were sent to the lower reaches, i think that would be somewhat evened out by county coming up for us. So i doubt we woud see much decline in a seasons income, unlike every other SPL team

If you have to pay to maintain integrity, then surely it isn't integrity? Scottish football is far too expensive as it is without requesting fans to contribute extra.

On the other hand, I would happily pay a huge sum of money if it meant Rangers were playing at Borough Briggs next season. :lol:

• Agree 1

Who said that football and politics dont mix ? There are other means - as alluded to on another thread - to exact revenge on Glasgow City Rangers FC. I would be happy to participate in any campaign or opposition but why "punish" some supporters by asking them to contribute hard earned and needed spondoolachs - in the name of integrity and idealism.

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced and accepted

I will not vote in the poll. League integrity should not need to be paid for. Break the rules accept the punishment. If a new Rangers stay in the SPL I will be restricting my football attendance, as will many others. If the funds available are more evenly spread then clubs shouldnt feel the demise of Rangers. If fans stay away because the league cannot maintain any sort of integrity, and allow Rangers Newco entry, then clubs will be hit even harder.

Having a deal more time on my hands now I may decide to purchase a couple of season tickets for next season but I will hold that decision until I know what happens with Rangers.

Absolutely not.

Football, as a business should be able to sustain itself without additional handouts. If a team is losing money, then the budget/finances need looking at.

Football, as a form of entertainment is very poor value for money, or at least it has been at TCS this season, and I would not be willing to pay more than I already do.

Having said that, if you'd asked me 5 or 6 years ago I'd have been all for it - I even suggested something like that on this forum a few years back!

Things change.

Wow...talk about being lead by the nose and jumping on the bandwagon.

I was not suggesting any "Cash for Integrity" type deal. What I am asking is if the decision was made to go with the wishes of the fans and boot a Rangers NewCo out of the league, would the fans be willing to assist in getting the club through the financial hardship that would likely follow?

I voted no. I can only really mirror the views of others in that why should I pay more of my moderate income to pay for the mistakes of those at Rangers? I'm already paying plenty of taxes to bail out bankers who are still coining it in, so no thanks I'd rather spend the money on my daughter. That said I would not be averse to volunteering a bit of time to ICT if that helped as I have done in the past with snow clearing etc.

Absolutely not.

Football, as a business should be able to sustain itself without additional handouts. If a team is losing money, then the budget/finances need looking at.

Football, as a form of entertainment is very poor value for money, or at least it has been at TCS this season, and I would not be willing to pay more than I already do.

Having said that, if you'd asked me 5 or 6 years ago I'd have been all for it - I even suggested something like that on this forum a few years back!

Things change.

I totally agree, Clubs should be self sufficient. However, if we as fans are asking (demanding) the club make decisions that would impact that in the short term, then should we not also be willing to assist with the transition?

You can't answer no to that question and then threaten to boycott (as others have done elsewhere) if the club choose to try and protect the income by making a decision we do not like.

All that does is create the ultimate No Win situation and we'd be as well closing the doors and giving up now.

Clubs should be self sufficient. However, if we as fans are asking (demanding) the club make decisions that would impact that in the short term, then should we not also be willing to assist with the transition?

You can't answer no to that question and then threaten to boycott (as others have done elsewhere) if the club choose to try and protect the income by making a decision we do not like.

If the club was willing to be swayed by the demands of the fans, then whoever makes the demands should indeed be willing to assist.

However, I doubt if the club would succumb to such demands even with a cast-iron guarantee of assistance.

The threat of a boycott in a town as apathetic as Inverness would hardly be crippling.

Frankly, I just can't see it happening.

If Rangers were sent to the lower reaches, i think that would be somewhat evened out by county coming up for us. So i doubt we woud see much decline in a seasons income, unlike every other SPL team

This is incorrect. No TV cash would result in at least 600 000 pounds lessfor ICT. I don't think there is 600 000 pounds in County (unless we are referring to weight)

I think you've had your answer. Anyway it's a moot point as NewCo Rangers will be playing in the SPL next season.

Yes they will, as I said on April 7. And also as I said - if the contest is between money and sporting integrity - money wins every time.

I can't believe anyone would think the outcome was going to be different.

I think this is a difficult one but I have to be honest and say no I wouldn't put in more money to uphold sporting integrity as I have more pressing and worthwhile causes I need my cash for.

I would be curious to hear all the thoughts of the other SPL clubs, yes for the sake of sporting integrity they should be forced to start again in Division 3. For the likes of ICT could they afford to lose the revenue of the SKY deal along with Rangers visits up here? Our attendances are dwindling and while the County gates will be a great help these should be looked at additional income which the club need as opposed to trying to replace income that we have lost.

What I don't get is how the SPL and FIFA have totally different stances on sporting integrity.

Edited by gordieict

It always amuses me that fans always seem to call for shareholders/board members to invest more in the club, but always when asked refuse to invest anything additional themselves :wink:

It always amuses me that fans always seem to call for shareholders/board members to invest more in the club, but always when asked refuse to invest anything additional themselves :wink:

With season tickets, merchandising etc do the ordinary fans not invest enough?

With season tickets, merchandising etc do the ordinary fans not invest enough?

Only each of us can answer this. Expectations as to what can be achieved need to be aligned to the income of the club.

The point that Caley D seems to making is that the impact of 'integrity' may be for the club to take a financial hit. Is this acceptable to the fans if this leads to increases in costs or reduction in player budgets? Perhaps.

The alternative to a reduction in budgets is for the club to incur debt and the calls will come for investment to be made to offset this, however this investment should be by 'others'

If and when Newco Rangers are disallowed access to the SPL it would be down to every club in the league to adjust their spending accordingly. If they could raise money by asking the fans to do something as suggested by CaleyD then fair play to them but if not they'd have to tighten their belts, Ross County gaining promotion this season will go a long way to offset any loss we would feel by getting rid of the cheats, our budgets are set with relegation in mind and there is bound to be back up plans should we find ourselves in the 1st Division. In case you have short memories there are no old firm teams in the first division to boost income. In my opinion if there was an untapped revenue stream available to the club should Rangers be gone then the club should be attempting to tap into it whilst Rangers are in the SPL, not doing so is folly.

If and when Newco Rangers are disallowed access to the SPL it would be down to every club in the league to adjust their spending accordingly. If they could raise money by asking the fans to do something as suggested by CaleyD then fair play to them but if not they'd have to tighten their belts, Ross County gaining promotion this season will go a long way to offset any loss we would feel by getting rid of the cheats, our budgets are set with relegation in mind and there is bound to be back up plans should we find ourselves in the 1st Division. In case you have short memories there are no old firm teams in the first division to boost income. In my opinion if there was an untapped revenue stream available to the club should Rangers be gone then the club should be attempting to tap into it whilst Rangers are in the SPL, not doing so is folly.

I think that if ICT did return to Division 1 then part time might well be on the cards this time

I think that if ICT did return to Division 1 then part time might well be on the cards this time

Which would you prefer, to support a team which lives within it's means and is morally just? or to support a team who is party to engineering the ability to cheat and then wipe the slate clean just so they can keep paying for underachieving "stars" in the top flight? In other words are you a sports fan or a 'sports' entertainment fan?