FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Disastrous January sees Dods and Brown leave

Guest Bonzo

Guest eriboll

It occurs to me if Hibs sell their players for millions and then want to buy Mark Brown from us surely we are due a fair bit of dosh from them as he has got to be the best goalie in Scotland outwith Celtic and Lithuania and at the moment as good if not better.

But please don't leave boys and Shiels would be a welcome addition.

Simple truth is that if any of the 3 players most frequently mentioned (Dods, Dargo, Brown) decide their future lies elsewhere we will either get peanuts from the buying club to let them go in January or we will get 100% of nothing if they leave when out of contract at the end of the season.

would far prefer to see Grassa and Charlie try to pull off a minor miracle and try to keep 1, 2 or even all 3 of them, and Dods would be top of my list despite the early season doubts about him and a move to DUFC.

Brown would be ill advised to join Falkirk, if they fail to persuade Arsenal to let them keep Stokes until the end of the season they could well be relegated.

Seems that Wenger has said no to Falkirks request, and that the game tomorrow will be his last Falkirk game.  It then looks like he will be going to Charlton in January.

From BBC Website

Head coach Charlie Christie is still sure he can tempt three key players to prolong their stay at the club.

Mark Brown, Darren Dods and Craig Dargo are out of contract at the end of the season, but Christie insists he has heard nothing of any moves.

"There have been no official enquiries although it is early days," he said. "There are four or five players who I now want to sit down and speak to, but I said all along that I wanted to get these four games out of the way first."

Short of a barrowload of  money can't stop Dodds and perhaps Brown going--might as well bite the bullet in January , get some real dosh (not $30,000K--- for heaven's sake),  and splash on at least one strong back to replace Dodds. You say Fraser is up to the task of replacing Mark--O.K.

D Mackie in from the Dons? Well now, there's a thought---always fancied him at ICT , thought he never really got a chance to show his calibre but he sure is plonking them in at Pitter Patter Park and seems to be winning his place all right consistently. Wages might be a tad high though and I sense that he might be a reluctant bride as far as coming back to the Longman....so.....  Naw, fresh blood is maybe a better bet the noo.

:011:

i suspect they will both get decent offers away from united and hibs but i also suspect they wont be as hard to replace as you might think, as neither of them are as good as they are in some eyes.

dods and brown are both match winners and have probably picked up more points for us between them than anybody else this past two seasons, but thats only by doing their jobs which dozens of players around scotland do every week for their clubs, as unpopular as this might sound there are flaws in both their games and better options will become available over the next 6 months.

browns constantly given praise for his 'world class saves', theyre just saves!  and he does make mistakes (like against falkirk) and isnt as comanding a presence as most other keepers ive seen since we got promoted.  the guys a bloody keeper he should be stopping the ball which is exatly what he does most of the time, like msot other spl keepers.  granted there are some very dodgy keepers out there but then theres a **** of alot of good ones aswell, who are more confident and distribute the ball better.

dods, the guys superb at what he does, wins everything and is strong.  you shouldnt over inflate the quality of the player though for doing the basics well, again its his job.  he isnt the fastest and has been caught out a few times already this year, he is a team player but his footballing skills have let him down before.  grants a better player and the center back id be most worried about losing.

this pair (along with dargo especially) get alot of media coverage because they are seen to be 'better' than ict, as if the clubs so small the only way we could possibly doing OK is because of their outstanding contributions..... which i personally think is a load of p1sh!  yes they are important players in the team right now but get real its darren dods and mark brown we're talking about, where were they before they came here?  both can be replaced

it would be a problem if they left before the end of the season but not disastrous.  they should seriously think about what they want to do, dods especially as has been proved before the grass isnt always greener on the other side and hes an age now where there might not be a second chance.  brown should be fine wherever he goes, but he may find himself dwarfed by bigger personalities off the park wherever he goes, he may end up very unhappy, struggle to make an impact and his mistakes will start to be noticed.

good luck to either of them i say and let them go if they want, ill wave as they pass us on the way down

Good post, Clacher..... talking some sense there, although I don't think it will be quite as easy to replace Dods as you seem to think....

Maybe someday you'll come round the idea that putting CC in charge of ICT wasn't such a bad move.... :023:

well in the short term we have scaff who could easily fit in to the backline, obviously further cover is needed (probably is anyway) but aslong as 3 of our back 4 remain in place it shouldnt be difficult for any new recruits to fit in.  if we were to lose 2 of the 4 then thatd be a different situation completley, fresh faces in that area of the park would be welcome anyway as i said, hardly any competition for places in defence

even if we brought in a younger player to replace dods then the rest are experienced and comfortable enough to make fitting in a doddle, munro is more than capable of becoming the dominant presence dods is just now, no doubt at all hes ready for it.

this is assuming he'll leave, he really needs a long hard think about what he wants to do this next 4-5 years as a footballer.  ict could be his last chance to captain an spl side and he shouldnt assume he deserves the same honour elsewhere, he'll have to earn it all over again.  guess we'll see if hes as dead set on staying in the central belt as he says.

as for cc, well that gamble has yet to be settled, time will tell.  ive never said hes doomed to failure just that we've been going the wrong way this past couple of months and the finger can be pointed at him, also dont believe enough questions were asked at the time of appointment if he was the right man for the job.  but thats for another topic thanks so leave it!

No point getting worked up over the IF's, BUT's and MAYBE's - Agree with the point Clacher is getting at about these players not being irreplaceable, even if I don't agree with the manner in which he talks down and dilutes the importance of their contribution to the team.

IF they go then other players will come in or step up to the plate just as has happened in the past.

• 2 weeks later...