FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SPL strikers

Yngwie

Whilst I think we have the makings of a pretty solid team, the absence of a proven striker remains a major concern. Hopefully someone will step up to the mark, but I was struck by the credible striking options that a comparable club, St Johnstone, have.

Rowan Vine - the subject of a £3 million transfer to Birmingham a few years ago

Craig Beattie - perhaps past his best but still only 28. Respected for turning down Rangers to join St Johnstone!

Nigel Hasselbaink - did well for St Mirren last year but they couldn't afford to match St J's offer

Gregory Tade - ICT's top scorer last season

Stevie May - teenager who scored 19 goals in a half season loan at Alloa

Sean Higgins - sorry, I said credible

They probably have 4 strikers who would get a start ahead of our best option, Mackay.

Everybody is desparate for a reliable goal scorer - Killie have Heffernan, Hibs have just signed Shefki Kuqi to partner Griffiths whilst County are currently trying to sign Derek Riordan.

At the moment I feel like I'm standing at the SPL urinal peering enviously along the line - and with some of the names I've mentioned it certainly seems that our rivals might have bigger ****s than us..... :wink:

• Agree 1

We can't afford any form of proven striker or any form of proven anything as a matter of fact. They cost money. Have confidence in billy, and shinnie, they both stay injury free I can see them being prolific, also set piece will be a great source of goals with draper already proving he's dangerous in the air setting up shinnie on saturday, and the likes of owain, foran, and warren all getting involved in set plays. Believe.

Edited by lukemackay

Aye, but hitting Edinburgh tonight so may be a bit delicate.

Quickly getting back on topic, I look forward to seeing Mackay get a goal or two, and to me seeing an ICT win for the first time in about 15 games.

I agree with CaleyD, can we really afford the players you have mentioned?

I actually would only have taken one of the above that you mentioned, Hasselbaink and not for goals either as he is not a proven out-an-out goalscorer nor was he prolific at St Mirren but his overall game would have been extremely beneficial for us.

Whether we like it or not a loan deal for a goalscorer is the only way to go but then who wants to let their goalscorers go unless they are young and not proven yet.

Or we could get a wee trouble making sh1te like Roirdan. Be careful what you wish for, the grass is not always greener.

Aye, beastie, but grass is always greener if you put sh*te on it. Like Riordan.