FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Giant-killed?

Sneckboy

We have prided ourselves as giant-killers through the years on our journey to the top-flight. The Celtic wins were obviously the most prominent, but there were many more.

But....have we ever been on the other-side-of-the-coin and humbled by a lesser team? I think we've done well to not suffer any humiliating defeats to lesser opposition!

Although it doesn't sound so bad now (particularly with our results this season), the only one that springs to mind is the Partick Thistle game a few years ago when they knocked us out on penalties - they were a league lower than us at the time.

Can't think of any others without researching. And, yes, it was the looming Stranraer game that got me wondering!

In season 2003/2004 lowly third divison / League 2 side Queens Park beat us 1-2 in Inverness to knock us out of the League Cup, Bobby Mann even missed a penalty in the last minute.

They finished fourth bottom of the 3rd Division that season and we finished as 1st division champions, pipping Clyde to promotion to the promised land.

And..............it's only a couple of years since Ayr United dumped us out of the same competition. The first time we played them since thrashing them 0-7 was a 1-0 defeat at Somerset park in August 2011

Ayr finished second bottom of Division 1 that season and we finished 10th in the SPL.

• Agree 1

Crikey! I forgot about the Queen's Park game! I was at it!

Was standing on the 'West' terrace, as it was, and remember watching in horror as a long ball deceived Mark Brown and bounced over his head and into the net. And yeah, Bobby Mann smacked that penalty off the post near the end! No wonder it escaped me! But amazing to think we went on to get promoted to the SPL later that year!

In 2001/2002 Partick finished top of Div1 and we finished 6th, that is the year they beat us 1-0 in Inverness on a very wet Tuesday night. We had drawn 2-2 at Firhill and they knocked us out in the hissing rain. That is the season they never got promoted because of stadium criteria.

That's the very one! Was at that game too. Ah, the great days of standing at football!

Good point from Mantis re. Partick being 2 divisions below us when they knocked us out of the Scottish Cup - we should be well warned ahead of Stranraer!

In 2001/2002 Partick finished top of Div1 and we finished 6th, that is the year they beat us 1-0 in Inverness on a very wet Tuesday night. We had drawn 2-2 at Firhill and they knocked us out in the hissing rain. That is the season they never got promoted because of stadium criteria.

Yer wrong there Mannie. They did go up, then Falkirk won it in 2002-3 but never got promoted, then we won it and partick came down.

In 2001/2002 Partick finished top of Div1 and we finished 6th, that is the year they beat us 1-0 in Inverness on a very wet Tuesday night. We had drawn 2-2 at Firhill and they knocked us out in the hissing rain.

What a sickener that was. Just the other week I was clearing out some old videos and came upon the 2-2 game where Sportscene did a feature with our coach leaving Inverness and travelling down in the snow. Great game which we should have had sewn up but were dead on our feet for the last 15.

Yer wrong there Mannie. They did go up, then Falkirk won it in 2002-3 but never got promoted, then we won it and partick came down.

Yer right, should have read Is that....................

On the contrary, the players need to remember just how good it felt to win a league cup semi final and to think just how good it would feel to win a semi final in the main cup competition.  I know what you mean though.  They can't afford to be complacent and I don't think they will be.  Stranraer will defend in numbers but we have the players to stretch them and to get behind the defence.  Laying the ball back so that Tansey and co can get a bit of shooting pactice should be the order of the day.  Having seen how hard Tansey can hit a ball, I don't think they'll be queueing up to throw their bodies in the way.