Anyone Recognise ?

The olde Highland Show IBM and are you referring to Bona Lighthouse Scarlet ? Here is another of the TCS site and I bet a few watched this sport.

Stock car racing at the Longman :smile: That brings back one or two memories. More or less right on the current Caledonian Stadium site wasn't it?

Does anyone know what that multiplicity of buildings are in the Lomgman airfield shot? They don't look like the kind of arrangement you might expect for a military establishment so I'm wondering if they might be some post-war creation - either industrial or emergency housing because there's something in the back of my mind which says that the airfield may have been used for that purpose immediately after the war.

The olde Highland Show IBM and are you referring to Bona Lighthouse Scarlet ? Here is another of the TCS site and I bet a few watched this sport.

Stock car racing at the Longman :smile: That brings back one or two memories. More or less right on the current Caledonian Stadium site wasn't it?

I remember the stock car racing well and recall John Harrison of Highland TV Services having a blue Hillman Minx but cant remember if it had a white roof and also remember the old hearse which was slow of the mark but could go like a tank!  I think the track was more where the Kessock Bridge roundabout is now but would not put money on that.

Does anyone know what that multiplicity of buildings are in the Lomgman airfield shot? They don't look like the kind of arrangement you might expect for a military establishment so I'm wondering if they might be some post-war creation - either industrial or emergency housing because there's something in the back of my mind which says that the airfield may have been used for that purpose immediately after the war.

That is likely to be some of the old hangars that were dotted about the Longman or are you seeing something else?

You know, IHE, you are probably spot on with the Bona Lighthouse reference  but why there would be a lighthouse there is a mystery for me.

I know you are going to instruct me... keep your powder dry and then fire away, Monsieur.

It will be to mark the entrance to the Caledonian Canal there is one at the other end of the loch at Fort Augustus.

• Agree 1

It reminds me of the Alice Brewery in Inverness 1983-88 which was delivered by horse and cart which was a bit of a publicity stunt. I am sure the horse was owned a Mr Ross but I cant remember his first name.

The first is how I remember it moreso than the second .... the old changing stalls with the seated area above that was only ever full on swimming gala days ... you got your metal basket and fired all your stuff in it before handing it in. You tried your best to get Rod Dyce or (my uncle) Donnie Ross to chuck you out, and when you did leave, you invariably headed for the drinks machine for a cup of chicken soup !

• Agree 1

You tried your best to get Rod Dyce or (my uncle) Donnie Ross to chuck you out, and when you did leave, you invariably headed for the drinks machine for a cup of chicken soup !

One standard way of deciding whether you needed chucked out (apart from misbehaviour) was to check your fingertips. If they were very wrinkled, you had been in too long and off you went. The men's hot showers were absolutely wonderful - but, like Scotty, I speak more of the old arrangement than the new - which I believe opened in 1984.

The old cublcles could be a bit smelly!

" The men's hot showers were absolutely wonderful " :amazed:

You know what I mean :lol: so stop fuelling any homoerotic fantasies that may be out there. There was an amazing and limitless supply of lovely hot water in an era when nobody had a shower in their house (well nobody in Dalneigh or the Ferry at any rate!)

Let's also not forget that the place was called The Baths because that was one of its main original functions - to provide the facility to have a bath for people who didn't have one at home. The actual "baths" were on the left and right just before you entered the main pool hall.

• Agree 1