FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Best team in the UK?

Naelifts

Mr Speirs was on the wireless last night telling us that the media give commensurate coverage to wee clubs like ours based on the interest in them. It was an interesting 10 mins debate sparked by one of our own bemoaning the West Coast/Old Firm bias. It has been done to death many times..........but have the press missed a slight difference this time round? Are ICT in fact the best team in the UK this year based on results? Can anyone better our haul of victories and a draw.?

Surely the best team in the country deserves some plaudits Mr Speirs!!!!!!

To be perfectly honest, I am quite happy for them to ignore us, and then say " how'd that happen" if we have our most successful season ever.

I know how well we are playing at the moment, and couldn't give two hoots if the old and new firm obsessed weegia don't notice.

Let's be fair, if they couldn't spot the developing train wreck that was Rangers, were unable to work out that "civil unrest" was just a spurious concept cooked up by Regan and Doncaster to shoehorn Rangers "back where they belong" or were unable (or unwilling) to ask what Ashley's agenda is, then you can't possibly be surprised that they haven't noticed what's occurring in the Highlands.

• Agree 7

I remember mr spears saying no one said a bad word about the highland clubs this season....

Obiviously he didn't hear more than half of the open all mics pundits at the start of this season predicting that we would be in a relegation battle.

Edited by Ayeseetee

The Celtic manager was quoted earlier in the season as saying that ICT played the best football out of the challenging top four teams. So people who actually watch the game, and have some idea, know alright. On the other hand, people who derive their opinions from the media and stale shopworn attitudes just repeat the same old guff. To be fair, a couple of the BBC Scotland radio pundits have talked us up on more than a few occasions, the message finally getting through that things have changed, for the better.

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 1

With eight wins out of eight starts, are Celtic not statistically the best team in the UK this year but a question for Sneckboy perhaps;

Is this the longest we have gone undefeated into any calendar year ? Also, is this our record unbeaten run in the top flight ?

With eight wins out of eight starts, are Celtic not statistically the best team in the UK this year but a question for Sneckboy perhaps;

Is this the longest we have gone undefeated into any calendar year ? Also, is this our record unbeaten run in the top flight ?

I couldn't be bothered replying to the 'playground' analogy of ICT being the 'best team in the UK'! Middlesboro have also won 7 and drawn 1, including an away win at Manchester City and after that I gave up looking. 

I suppose one could argue that Edinburgh City are the 'most difficult to beat' team in the UK as they haven't tasted defeat all season? Apples and oranges...

Now, Kingsmills' questions!

Our longest unbeaten SPL/Premiership run is actually 11 games from back in 2005/06!

post-3020-0-24702300-1424047252.jpg

This current unbeaten run from the turn of 2015 is arguably our best 'new-calendar-year' unbeaten run!

In Division 1 in 2009/10 we remained unbeaten in the league - after the new 2010 calendars went up - until August, when we lost the opening game on our return to the SPL!

However, we did lose to Killie on 6th Feb '10 in the cup, during that run (in our 4th game of the year).

So, if we include all competitive games, our present sequence is a 'new-calendar-year' record in terms of number of games unbeaten! 

But, 2001 would chronologically be our longest unbeaten 'new-calendar-year' run (6th March), but that was only our 7th game!

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 2

Hopefully after 38 games 'the best team in Scotland' :-)

When I saw Tichy's byline as the last post I was sure he was going to quote Inverness Thistle as the best team in Britain in 1986-87 with 33 league games undefeated that season!

Charles - this one.... :wink:

1986/87
 1. Inverness Thistle          34-87  (96-30)  27  6  1  
-------------------------------------------------------
 2. Inverness Caledonian       34-81 (114-31)  25  6  3
 3. Elgin City                 34-70  (93-33)  21  7  6
 4. Keith                      34-69  (89-39)  21  6  7
 5. Buckie Thistle             34-68  (84-37)  20  8  6
 6. Forres Mechanics           34-63  (53-34)  18  9  7
 7. Peterhead                  34-61  (67-45)  18  7  9
 8. Cove Rangers               34-57  (79-58)  17  6 11
 9. Huntly                     34-54  (60-63)  16  6 12