Caramel Wafer Cup Semi Final

Robert

8 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Is it too simple to suggest that the Orange Lodge Sevco player involved in the incident issues a statement to the SFA stating that there was contact and that it was a foul tackle on his behalf ?

Yes, I think it is.   I have looked at it again and I am not convinced that it was a deliberate foul.  It was a very clumsy challenge, yes.  Contact was outside the box, and maybe the fact that Keatings tumbled inside the box was what swayed the referee and the three SFA stooges.  Correct decision would have been a free kick outside the box, and a booking for the Rangers player.

Having said that, I consequently think that the Rangers player should not say anything.  Whether his management should, that's another question.  But of course they won't.

As someone has said, win the cup, get Keatings to pick it up - and make sure that there is a medal for him!

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
spilling corexion

11 hours ago, IBM said:

Don't be daft mun that will achieve nothing!

It will. It will hit the spfl in the pocket. As they won't get the gate receipts for the final the tv broadcasters will withdraw their monies the sponsor will then get annoyed pull funding. The only thing the footballing authorities in this country care about is money. Hot them where it hurts the most.

I’ve watched the video clip dozens of times now, while it’s difficult to believe that the referee didn’t see any contact given his position, I have no way of knowing what he did see, so I won’t take issue with that. 

The review panel however - there is clear contact. Keatings doesn’t do anything to increase the likelihood of contact (i.e. doesn’t appear to change his line of running). The contact is sufficient to move Keatings sideways, and the Rangers player then staggers, like someone who has clattered into a moving object. He then holds his hands up the way defenders do when they foul someone but hope to get away with it. The applause at the the red card is just taking the pish. 

If that’s a dive, there are going to be a lot of yellows for simulation between now and the end of the season. 

At best (and I use the word loosely) the panel are backing the ref, at worst it’s because of what Robbo said. Either way, it stinks!

• Agree 1

I don't think the decision was a case of protecting the referee.  I was interested to note that at the same appeals session, Hamilton's appeal against Jamie Hamilton's red card against Hearts was upheld.  In that case I think the panel applied a bit of common sense, but it was a far less straightforward one than Keatings'.  In Hamilton's case the ball clearly did hit his arm but it did not appear to be deliberate and the contact resulted in Hamilton having less control of the ball.  Nevertheless, you can understand why the referee gave Hamilton a red card.  One might argue the panel should not have upheld that appeal because it is perhaps not obvious that the referee made an error.  That to me makes that decision to be a sensible common sense one.

In the Keatings' case there surely is an obvious error. Dickson clearly makes no attempt to play the ball.  He doesn't even have his eyes on the ball; he has his eyes on Keatings.  You can see him lean into Keatings and give Keatings a nudge and you can see the impact of that nudge on Keatings.  It is a clear and obvious foul.  I also think it was clearly an intentional foul both because Dickson made no attempt to go for the ball and because he applauded the referee's decision.  Had he realised he had been beaten to the ball and was genuinely trying to avoid the collision, he would not have done that knowing there actually was contact.  Not only should the appeal panel have upheld the appeal, they should have referred Dickson to the Compliance Officer.

This seems to me a clear case of the SFA punishing a player for the remarks the manager made.  Yet again the SFA have demonstrated that their disciplinary processes are not fit for purpose.

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, Gregor said:

This decision had nothing to do with Rangers  so your Orange Lodge jibe is totally out of order. if you would care to look at social media or have a look at Rangers forums you will see that their fan base are as equally outraged as our selves regarding the decision of the referee.

See below a couple of the many comments on Rangers Follow Follow fans forum all supporting our statement.

Excellent statement. The fact that wasn’t overturned is an absolute joke
GazzaG

GazzaG

Official Ticketer
A player sent off against us, and yet you can't find a single Rangers fan who thinks it was a dive and that the appeal being thrown out was a joke.
But somehow the SFA have managed to find a panel who think it was simulation.
Super Caley going ballistic must still be gnawing away at them

I think RIG has summed it up as this decision is in response to Robbos outburst after the game , however I think Robbo was quite correct in his assesment of the referee.

The statement from the club is excellent and it leaves the SFA without a leg to stand on.

The decision to uphold the original decision of the referee is a disgrace and the whole of Scottish Football knows it apart from the 3 panel members.

Sad to see the young Rangers player applaud the ref when he showed the red card though? 

• Agree 4

It's now national coverage even Gary liniker has seen the video and commented it wasn't a dive and Keatings shouldn't be missing a final for this. The SFA really have shot themselves in the foot here and 're becoming internationally ridiculed for this absurd decision.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TheMantis said:

We got a result in the Meekings case due to the overall outrage.

We didn't.  As the club engaged the services of the right people it got thrown out before it ever got to the stage where the mass support/outrage may have influenced any decision makers.

I was part of the team representing Josh that day (although my contribution ended up not being required), so I was sitting in the room and can attest to that.

Had that initial play failed, then the weight of support may have helped...and if there's any faint hope of changing things for James...or failing that changing the system...then everyone needs to speak up.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Who were we playing when Keatings was sent off? 

and your point is exactly??

You and a few other  people seem to think it was given against us because we were playing Rangers, well Rangers have had plenty of decisions against them too.

Sheer incompetance from the ref but the panel is a different story.

Edited by Gregor
  • Agree 1

A lot is being made of the Rangers kid applauding the decision ... I see it a little differently (although I could be wrong). Look at the kid's face when the whistle is blown. He is thinking 'oh f***' and probably wondering if he is getting a card or if the ref maybe thinks its in the box and is going to give a penalty. The applause is a little self-serving i think and based on relief not on bad sportsmanship. 

However, knowing the player was going to get a red it may have been more sportsmanlike to say to the ref - 'i did catch him, but it was an accident' but lets face it, no player is going to do that these days. none. regardless of the strip they are wearing.

Would be nice if Rangers could say something through the club to side with Keatings but again, cant see that happening.  

At best the ref is incompetent - something backed up if you search google for his name - but for the panel to uphold the original decision is not incompetent it is something far worse. Who is on these panels? Why cant we know who is on it? If you are going to make a decision that will deprive a player of appearing in a cup final at least have the f***ing balls to stand up and be counted and say why you came to that decision. 

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

and your point is exactly??

You and a few other  people seem to think it was given against us because we were playing Rangers, well Rangers have had plenty of decisions against them too.

Sheer incompetance from the ref but the panel is a different story.

I think the red card was originally given because we were playing Rangers, and said as much at the time.

I think that the panel have decided to back the ref. I don’t think that’s because we were playing Rangers. 

Yes, our refs are incompetence, but there is often a direction to that incompetence when either side of the Old Firm are involved

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Petition has gathered that much ground, the P&J have picked up on it...either that or it's a stupidly slow news day 😂

The majority of news stories now seem to be based on a few tweets. Not belittling the petition but the other day the P & J ran a story online about ICT fans fuming about the Scottish Cup Q/F kick off time and the article was just a couple of embedded tweets. Anything for clicks these days.

ETA: 1.1 million views of the clip on the ICT Twitter feed now. Certainly get a load of exposure and making the SFA look like utter arses :laugh: 

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic