Caramel Wafer Cup Semi Final

Robert

I've not seen it confirmed anywhere but one of The Terrace lads is saying that our appeal against the second yellow shown to Keatings has been dismissed.

ETA: The S*n are now reporting it.

Edited by RiG

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

I've not seen it confirmed anywhere but one of The Terrace lads is saying that our appeal against the second yellow shown to Keatings has been dismissed.

ETA: The S*n are now reporting it.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/disciplinary/disciplinary-updates/

The cynic would say that it was the ref refusing to back down after being called out by Robbo after the game.

Edited by Rasczak
Extra thoughts
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Rasczak said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/disciplinary/disciplinary-updates/

The cynic would say that it was the ref refusing to back down after being called out by Robbo after the game.

That was my reaction. They very seldom admit their refs are wrong. Having been involved a couple of times myself at non-League level, they can sometimes wriggle out of it by imposing a suspended sentence or something similar but in this case there’s no half measure they can take.

1 minute ago, TheMantis said:

That was my reaction. They very seldom admit their refs are wrong. Having been involved a couple of times myself at non-League level, they can sometimes wriggle out of it by imposing a suspended sentence or something similar but in this case there’s no half measure they can take.

Aitken has already had a number of yellow cards he has dished out for diving overturned. I can't help but feel that Robbo's comments got the backs up of the panel / referee and they've doubled down on their decision. not that I blame Robbo. Aitken is a shockingly bad referee.

• Agree 2

On 2/16/2020 at 8:49 PM, CaleyD said:

I think Robbo will be ok as he didn't cross the line by saying/inferring that the ref was biased, corrupt or questioning his integrity....as far as I know, there's no rule says he can't call him rubbish.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and it would appear that Keatings is now paying the price for Robbo's ill-advised rant.

Just shown the footage to my wife who knew nothing of this game and just asked what the result of the incident should be. Immediate reaction, "the guy in black should be penalised.". When I explained what has happened she was incredulous.

1 minute ago, Rasczak said:

Just shown the footage to my wife who knew nothing of this game and just asked what the result of the incident should be. Immediate reaction, "the guy in black should be penalised.". When I explained what has happened she was incredulous.

These idiots at the SFA need to go on a course of the laws of physics and biomechanics. We should also highlight to the compliance officer a dive by a rangers player on the edge of our box that the referee didn't give a yellow for.

Edited by MorayJaggie

Edited by hislopsoffsideagain

This result only fuels the idea that the SPFL really have more than one rule, one for the ugly sisters, one for SPL and another specially for ICT.  How dare we win the Scottish Cup, how dare we have poor crowds that umpteen times are more than Hamilton, St Mirren and even St Johnstone, but still survive.  It was a blatant error by Aitken again but after his antics at Ayr I am sorely disillusioned that the SPFL have sided with him.   I will always support ICT but never again give these morons any support, these “experts” who supposedly run the SPFL - biased, idiotic, spineless, not worth a penny of the inflated wages they pocket every week.  They have no consciences, don’t accept the truth, should resign en bloc. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

I was on the committee of the IDAFA for a good few years and the simple fact of the matter is that you were basically not able to overturn a referee decision at that time. If you did, and your decision was sent down to Park Gardens (that dates it!) you would literally get an angry letter back telling you to sort it out or be summoned to appear in front of them! 

I was witness to an incident where the ref was a complete ****hole and as a member of the local committee I stood up in the meeting to side with the "accused" who had received a red card. The committee were mindful to believe the truth, which was not reflected in the referee report, (we are talking full on lying about the incident here) but still had to impose the minimum punishment that came from the SAFA because they knew if they sided with the player or were lenient they would get letters galore. Big George Davidson, as secretary fought an almost permanent battle with them to try and preserve the dignity of the local scene but overall, on a national level, it was rotten to the core in my opinion.   

I actually like VAR - when used correctly. The World Cup in Russia was a decent showing and in MLS, where we have had it for several years it is pretty good and does not delay the game too much (most times). The biggest problem with it is that it is only as good as the referee who is in charge and some are reluctant to change their minds believing it shows weakness rather than strength. If VAR was independent of the ref perhaps it would be better ..... 

Seek a Crowd fund for an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. How can a body check on a player be defined as a dive? SFA would say you have no right of appeal even if SFA ignored clear evidence. We need to see what the club say on the matter regarding an appeal to a higher court of appeal.  Specsavers could suffer reputational damage if their sponsored referees  actually see bodychecks as dives. If fact, Specsaver adverts are very funny and they might like to use the incident for their next advert to prevent reputational damage to themselves. 

• Like 3

A shocking decision

The club website has confirmation and says a statement will be released later today. 

If also says their internet is down (yesterday) but they will advise when it is back on..... which it presumably is given the Keatings post. 

Let's all keep in mind that what we have here is a broken system and that's what we need to be focussing on changing.

By all means we should be allowed to criticise a refs performance, just as we should a players performance and indeed the SFA's performance.  However, it serves no useful purpose...quite the opposite...to be going after individuals with any kind of personal slandering and/or harassment.

A lot of what is in the club statement needed to be said (even if we do get hauled up for it) but  the calling out of the 3 man panel in the manner we have I find it a little disappointing.  It will only encourage hacks to out these people and the whole thing could potentially get out of control as they become the focus of the frustration, anger and upset.

Not sure about the "dogs in the street" line (🤣🤣🤣) but otherwise I thought the club statement was pretty damn good. I particularly liked the description of the referee's input about the incident. Its clear that Greg Aitken gave the panel perfectly straightforward grounds to uphold the appeal (ie there was actually clear contact) and it is simply inexplicable that they still felt the red card was justified.

I think its unlikely the panel will be outed by journalists - its not like we're Rangers or Celtic, so they won't be fussed enough to do so - but I wouldn't be surprised if other clubs are indeed backing us here, if only because they have their own interest in overhauling the disciplinary system.

It'll be interesting to see what the SFA do next. I think its pretty certain that Keatings won't suddenly get a reprieve. However the statement probably does enough to question their integrity that they could act against the club. On the other hand, they could probably do without keeping this omnishambles in the news for any longer than absolutely necessary, so my bet is that they'll quietly wait for it to all blow over.

A strange one.

It's blindingly obvious that Keatings was penalised in error, so what's the message?

Are they trying to belittle the club - "how dare these sheep-sh****rs up there question our decision??"

Something like that, maybe?  :ponder:

• tm4tj unpinned this topic