FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish Cup Final build up

Yngwie

League season is sadly over. Attention for the next 4 weeks focuses on another big day out at Hampden, a chance to pull off one the greatest cup final upsets ever and earn a crack at the Europa League!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• Yngwie pinned this topic

In the unlikely (but not impossible) event that we win the cup, at what stage would we enter the Europa League: is it the last knock out round before the group stages? If so, and we lose that, do we parachute into the Europa Conference group stages?

I’ve not paid much attention to how these competitions work, but curious about what the unlikely scenario could be.

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Robert said:

In the unlikely (but not impossible) event that we win the cup, at what stage would we enter the Europa League: is it the last knock out round before the group stages? If so, and we lose that, do we parachute into the Europa Conference group stages?

I’ve not paid much attention to how these competitions work, but curious about what the unlikely scenario could be.

Exactly that. I believe we would be guaranteed 8 games! 

• Thank You 1
  • Funny 1

Time to pose another few questions ?

Should we get rid of Dodds before the Cup Final ? Is missing out on the play offs more of a positive than a negative ? Would we have been totally fecked if we were to progress in the play offs ? What can we do in the next few weeks to prepare ?

Now Dodds - IMHO - provided quite an encouraging response to the last question - we take a whole week off to recuperate. We then get together like a training camp - work on fitness, work on team building and work on how to take on Celtic and start the final with a clear plan.

And most importantly - Are we organising a pub for either pre or post Cup Final - or both ???

6 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Should we get rid of Dodds before the Cup Final ? Is missing out on the play offs more of a positive than a negative ? Would we have been totally fecked if we were to progress in the play offs ? What can we do in the next few weeks to prepare ?

Now Dodds - IMHO - provided quite an encouraging response to the last question - we take a whole week off to recuperate. We then get together like a training camp - work on fitness, work on team building and work on how to take on Celtic and start the final with a clear plan.

And most importantly - Are we organising a pub for either pre or post Cup Final - or both ???

I believe plans have started for a prematch venue. 

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

At this stage I wouldn't ditch Dodds as there's not enough time for the replacement to get to know the squad for such a big game. What he needs to do though is work on tactics that avoid the big punt up the park. Championship sides gobble those up for breakfast. The likes of Celtic will enjoy them for dinner and supper too. Not making the play offs may be a blessing in disguise for me as I don't think we would have been good enough for the awful SPL. 

I agree entirely with your second paragraph. Recuperation, fitness and team building will be vital. I'd add watching Celtic videos until they've got green and white stripes in their eyes. They can be beaten...we just got to find a way how to do that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, STFU said:

If the players don't know each other well enough, and can't lift their game for a Scottish Cup final then having Dodds tickle their balls isn't going to make a bit of difference.  It's not as if he's a tactical mastermind who we'd expect to change anything to throw the opposition off come the day.

Get him gone and let someone like Ryan Esson take the team to the final.  Absolutely nothing to lose.

What's best for the club, though?  Getting in a new manager now and giving him extra time to get a squad together for next season (we have 15 players out of contract/loan), or starting the process less than 6 weeks before the first games are due next season and the majority of players having found themselves new clubs?

• Like 1
  • Thoughtful 1

16 minutes ago, STFU said:

What's best for the club, though?  Getting in a new manager now and giving him extra time to get a squad together for next season (we have 15 players out of contract/loan), or starting the process less than 6 weeks before the first games are due next season and the majority of players having found themselves new clubs?

What’s Dodds record against premier league sides for us anyway ? 

The process for a replacement can start now and probably should have started already. Best to have him stay to finish off this season with what we have at the moment. Don’t see much benefit in a new bod trying to do something with a bunch of players when half of them won’t be around next season anyway.

So a new broom in place for the opening of the transfer window and the rebuild begins…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, STFU said:

You're clutching at straws now 😂

I do find it a bit mad all of this though. Considering sacking him before the final which in itself is a great achievement. On top of that he has lost one game in about 10 games? I haven’t studied the stats tonight but it can’t be far off that.

The only worry I have is if he does leave after the final we have no time to get someone new in settled and ready to set up some transfers.

If Dodds is leaving he should be telling us now and we should be getting someone lined up to take over. Same goes for if we aren’t renewing his contract, tell him and get someone in ready to go.

In sure the CEO and Dodds know if he’s staying or going, same with Robbo.

Contracts will sit with the CEO and Robbo is meant to identify targets.

Hopefully we know who we want to keep and are speaking to them about new contracts or extensions.

However, with the usual comms with fans, we are in the dark. 

9 hours ago, STFU said:

You pose a very good question. A case of damned if you do and damned if you don't right there.

23 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I would let Dodds have the cup final, think it would potentially put off potential candidates if we did get rid of him. We should be doing some work behind the scenes, identify targets we want etc, gauge interest for the role, and need to have a sit down with Dodds and give him a chance to show why he may be the best candidate. We'll at least know that way if he wants to be here and we should be putting in milestones that he needs to reach if he wants to keep the job.

Missing out is good for the cup final, but probably bad long term. We need some major rotation throughout playoffs and rest days if wanted the best possible chance to get through.

Edited by mazza20
Added missing words
  • Confused 1

So, with the competitive fixtures we had in mind for the rest of May no longer happening, what does the team do for the next 4 weeks? Teams have no interest in playing friendlies at this time of year. They are either finished up and on holiday, or playing their final league or playoff fixtures.

Falkirk had the same problem in 2015. The only way they could get opposition was to travel down south and play Swansea’s youth team, and I recall they won by some ridiculous score. Not the best preparation. Even more unsuitable when you consider that we are up against a team full of international quality. How do we prepare for that?

• Like 1

Playing a full set of play-off games would completely knacker us. Also we have players who will benefit from a couple of weeks without high pressure games to play. We have a lot of weary and jaded legs out there. 

Personally, I don't think it matters a jot one way or the other. Celtic should absolutely pump us with or without a lay off. I can hold on to the merest slither of hope that a miracle might happen. However, I don't believe in miracles. Fingers crossed though and four leafed clovers all round my little Leprechaun friend said.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Yngwie said:

So, with the competitive fixtures we had in mind for the rest of May no longer happening, what does the team do for the next 4 weeks? Teams have no interest in playing friendlies at this time of year. They are either finished up and on holiday, or playing their final league or playoff fixtures.

Falkirk had the same problem in 2015. The only way they could get opposition was to travel down south and play Swansea’s youth team, and I recall they won by some ridiculous score. Not the best preparation. Even more unsuitable when you consider that we are up against a team full of international quality. How do we prepare for that?

I think the same thing happened even more recent than that to Rangers. No one interested in friendlies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I think the same thing happened even more recent than that to Rangers. No one interested in friendlies.

Ha Rangers might be the ideal team for some friendlies. They’re trying to work if any of the duds they have had in their bench are worth holding onto and would be more than delighted if we could stop a treble! There’s a few links there so who knows! 

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, FrontRow said:

Ha Rangers might be the ideal team for some friendlies. They’re trying to work if any of the duds they have had in their bench are worth holding onto and would be more than delighted if we could stop a treble! There’s a few links there so who knows! 

The further we distance ourselves from that bigoted and poisonous institution the better. 

• tm4tj unpinned this topic