FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tories back vote on Independence

Mee

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just caught onto this thread and have spent some time reading through the posts. My feeling is that there is a dwindling number of people who are living in the past and clinging onto the idea of the Union being good for Scotland. Allegedly educated people like Charles Bannerman worry me with their deluded perception of the real changes that are happening within Scottish society in relation to the option for home rule (especially given his educational role). The Union is thankfully coming to an end; it's only a matter of time and I couldn't be happier about that. I see no reason why any proud Scot would now want to be associated with what England or Britain has become to be associated with (speak to most people from another country and they think of Britain/ England as imperialist war-mongerers). The inner cities of England are heading for chaos in the next decade; racial tensions are increasing and the 'urban' culture which spawns gang crime is getting ever worse. How anyone can want to be associated with these problems, I don't know. And the financial argument for staying in the Union is a complete joke and there is a tide of understanding of that in Scotland also. I feel that the problem is 300 years of negative propaganda eminating from Westminster to keep us in check - in some people this has resulted in an institutionalised feeling of inadequacy and the need to rely on the 'strength' of the Union. It is now England that needs Scotland, not the other way round. Does anyone think that if Scotland was such a financial weight around England's neck that they would have put up such strong resistance to independence? I really feel that the SNP are far more cencerned about Scotland's interests compared to a party with a vested interest in Westminster. It's too early to say but I really feel that the average person in Scotland will see a positive difference over the next few years. The added powers that full independence will bring will allow us to compete and prosper as a proper country within Europe rather than a poor annex of England.

Aye Hamish.... they're a' oot o' step but oor Jock!

Sorry Charles, it certainly isn't an argument of 'whinging Jocks' anymore (if it ever has been). We're better off in pretty much every way to be separted from England/ Britain. You're living in the past if you can't see how things are changing.

And if you want to look at it in the most basic level, we (especially in the north of Scotland) have been a very discrete culture since Roman times.

I'm glad the ignore function on this site doesn't work properly as I never thought I would see the day when Hamish said something sensible! I'll take you off ignore if you promise not to talk sh1te music to me Hamish!  :015:

And as for Charles - well I'll just have to keep looking forward to the day when he'll say anything sensible  :001:

I'm glad the ignore function on this site doesn't work properly as I never thought I would see the day when Hamish said something sensible! I'll take you off ignore if you promise not to talk ****e music to me Hamish!  :015:

And as for Charles - well I'll just have to keep looking forward to the day when he'll say anything sensible  :001:

Fair enough but you're never going to get me to go to Rock Ness!  :001:

Guest donmac298

Good (earlier) post Hamish.  Quite some time ago on here I asked the question "if Scotland is such a burden to England why are they so desperate to hang on to us"?  The answer is obvious.

Guest donmac298

4thStand, I'm not afraid of being labelled anything it's just that some people are too happy to play the racist card instead of using common sense. 

If we achieve Independence in my lifetime I will be a happy man.  That is not a slur on the English but I view successive Westminster Governments rather differently.

4thStand, I'm not afraid of being labelled anything it's just that some people are too happy to play the racist card instead of using common sense. 

If we achieve Independence in my lifetime I will be a happy man.  That is not a slur on the English but I view successive Westminster Governments rather differently.

Donmac we're a' Jock Tamson's bairns, that's Johnathon Thomasson to you CB.  :004:

Common sense is an oxymoron.

I take it you've been a supporter of the union since you were a kid - ie last year? No wonder you got a warning, maybe you should just go play and let the adults discuss politics young man  :018:

well actually im 18 and i voted for th first time in may so really that DOES mean i'm allowed to talk with the adults!!  :blah01:

im a supporter of th union because iv got afew english relatives but also i personally believe that scotland wont be any better off than it is at th moment if we we're independent. i'm not saying we would be worse off, i think we would be jst exactly th same as we are now. also for security i think it is extremely important that we stay within the union.

also i want to make clear that this doesnt make less proud to be scottish. i think u can be easily scottish and british without being in an orange lodge  :015: :015:

I was basing my judgement of your age on the way you spoke to Clacher, and now you've told me how old you are I see no reason to amend my thoughts!

Hamish... you just don't seem to have grasped the "a' oot o' step but oor Jock" reference.

To be honest, no, it's a bit too cryptic for such an uneducated person as myself.  :001:

I take it you've been a supporter of the union since you were a kid - ie last year? No wonder you got a warning, maybe you should just go play and let the adults discuss politics young man  :018:

well actually im 18 and i voted for th first time in may so really that DOES mean i'm allowed to talk with the adults!!  :blah01:

im a supporter of th union because iv got afew english relatives but also i personally believe that scotland wont be any better off than it is at th moment if we we're independent. i'm not saying we would be worse off, i think we would be jst exactly th same as we are now. also for security i think it is extremely important that we stay within the union.

also i want to make clear that this doesnt make less proud to be scottish. i think u can be easily scottish and british without being in an orange lodge  :015: :015:

I've got English relatives and friends but why should that make any less of a case for independence? Remember, independence is a pro-Scottish issue, not an anti-English one. And your security argument baffles me? Scotland is a far more dangerous place because of Britain's involvement in the Iraq War. We need to distance ourselves from that situation to increase our security.

Now that '' 'oor tony '' has sold the UK out to European Governance, what does the ''Act of Union'' actually mean? We've always had our own Judicial System (although the present Westminster muppets seem to have ignored this fact) and our own Educational System (considered by many south of the border to be superior). Is there any reason to assume we can't actually run our own country? I think not!