FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The case for Coyle

chris123

My personal choice, Coyle, in my opinion has everything we need.

A good quality lower division player, knows the scottish game far better than warnock and twice the expirience of Brewster. Tactically astute, knows how to give players a kick up the erse when needed, makes quality signings and, from what I saw from the hibs game, knows how to keep his team fit.

Had a superb record at falkirk (his first ever full managerial job) and took a mediocre, underachieivng saints team to the brink of the title.

A young up and coming manager who has what it takes to take us forward.       

I am still in the Warnock camp but if we cant get him, then I would prefer to see Coyle rather than Brewster.

To my mind there are only two things you could perhaps point to as negatives about Coyle and that is St Johnstone's failure to capitalise on the Gretna implosion towards the end of last season and that he would likely cost a six figure compensation fee.

The first, I feel, is merely a blip in an otherwise impeccable managerial record which has seen him cut his teeth in the lower leagues in preparation for the SPL. The other is to be expected if we are to get a good manager.

I also find it ironic that we may be able to poach a manager from a club we once modeled ourselves on !!!

Coyle would be my second choice after Warnock.

I'm not so sure last season was a 'blip' in his record Scotty. Don't forget, Gretna didn't start to implode until the last third of the season, and Coyle DID manage to claw their lead back. And if it wasn't for a Grady last second goal, we'd be talking about Coyle being an SPL manager right now.

He'd definitely continue our tradition of appointing ambitious younger managers. Difference being, Coyle is not an unknown quantity, he's already proved himself a capable manager.

I don't think Coyle and St. J failed to take advantage of Gretna's stuttering as much as people are implying. They were pretty much victims of their own success because of their cup run to the semi final, having really a limited squad. If they hadn't done so well in the cup I've no doubt they would have won the league fairly easily in the end.

Coyle looks pretty sharp and did well against Prem teams without playing himself! Remember Brewster the player against the Brewster the manager. In my opinion Coyle is streets ahead of Brewster.

I don't think Coyle and St. J failed to take advantage of Gretna's stuttering as much as people are implying. They were pretty much victims of their own success because of their cup run to the semi final, having really a limited squad. If they hadn't done so well in the cup I've no doubt they would have won the league fairly easily in the end.

Coyle looks pretty sharp and did well against Prem teams without playing himself! Remember Brewster the player against the Brewster the manager. In my opinion Coyle is streets ahead of Brewster.

Cups

Owen Coyle has had a huge budget in the First Division and failed to win the league.  I think that St Johnstone had a better squad than Gretna last season but their inconsistency cost them.

He could be a good choice - he has signed some good players and has his team playing attacking football with a degree of success. However I could understand if he wanted to stay at McDairmid and try and finish the job he's started with St Johnstone.

Don't know if I'd want to pay ?100,000+ for him either.