FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Subs

Mrs Pauliebee

Discounting subs made in the first half due to injuries, Brewster made 93 substitutes during SPL games in his first stint as manager.  The average time at which he made a sub was the 75th minute.  During this period three goals were scored by Caley Thistle subs (Bryan Prunty v Rangers 05/03/05; Liam Fox v Dundee 14/05/05; Graham Bayne v Aberdeen 15/10/05). 

A quick sample of the subs made from SPL clubs this season (in the first four weekends of games) reveals that the average time after which a substitution was made is 66 minutes.  Of this sample nine goals were scored - Nacho Novo v ICT; Zemmama x2 and Fletcher v Gretna; Ross McCormack v ICT; Daniel Cousin v St Mirren; Andrew Driver v Gretna; Chris Porter v Gretna and Dean Shiels v Aberdeen.

Does this show us that Brewster should make substitutions earlier in the game?  Perhaps - eight of the nine goals scored during the sample were scored by players who came on before the 75th minute, Brewsters average time to make a change.  However, what I think is important is the type of player you have on the bench.  'Impact' players are key - all the goals scored during the second sample were from attacking players who either have pace, power or the ability to produce skillful moments in order to turn a game.  The question shouldn't be - get subs on earlier but get better subs.  We have Dean McDonald who has shown promise in the reserves and is skillful and has a wee bit of pace (from what I've heard).  We also have Graham bayne who is a powerful target man who can cause problems at set pieces.  One of the best uses of substitutes I have seen in recent years is David Moyes employing Duncan Ferguson as a 'wild card' thrown on in the second half of games to make an impact.  Could Graham bayne be our Big Dunc?  Also, it will be interesting to see if Dean McDonald can continue to develop in the reserves and possibly start to make a difference off the bench.

ictchris, I made the same points when writing up this weeks Match Report for the site.  Making "like for like" subs when you need a change in tactics seems like a totally pointless exercise.  If your looking to increase your attacking threat then you increase your attacking force, often that means bringing on an extra forward, not just swapping one for another.

With regards to the Gretna game, Wilson had to be brought on as Black got injured so it was a forced substitution.