FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Deano's Away

davieB

According to the HN Deano's returned to Gillingham for a two week trial, likely to lead to a permanent move.

Sad to see the wee man go, as he never really got a chance here. But for his injury pre-season, he could've had a good run.

Good luck to him back down south.  :clapping03:

Not surprised either.  Someone that size needs to be exceptional to survive at SPL level and I don't think Deano was that exceptional to be honest.

Best of luck to him, though, wherever he ends up.

:015:

Alex Macleod, the sponsor of doom.  the players are bricking themselves at the start of the season to see who our Alex selects as his player for sponsorship.

Remind us of these unfortunate guys :010:

Oh and good luck Deano, it never quite worked out for you.

Hardly surprising is it? Can't say I'm overly disappointed with the news. He looked okay pre season against the likes of Keith but thats a far cry from playing against Rangers, Celtic and Gretna. Well, maybe not the last one.

I thought he looked amazing pre-season but never lived up to the expectation he set of himself.

But then again just cos a player plays well in highland league friendlies doesn't mean he's got what it takes at SPL level.

Disappointed with Brew for not giving him a chance, but like many others I'm not overly disappointed with the news.

Good luck Deano  :022:

Guest ictgirl

It is sad to see Deano go...the comments are unfair to say that he didn't live up to the expectations or he wasn't good enough for the SPL. Don't see how this can be said when he didn't even get a chance to prove himself.

Personally I think he is the best striker we have!

A lot of fans had unreasonably high expectations from day one as he seemed to be immediately tipped as a replacement for Dargo before he'd so much as kicked a ball.

The only thing that should have been expected of him was to give his all and try and fight for a place in the squad, and seeing the progress he's made with his own personal fitness during his time here I'd say he was doing just that.

It just wasn't the right club or the right time for for the lad.  He was never going to get his opportunity ahead of Niculae and with Wyness and Bayne also battling for a start he was going to have to be something a bit special to get any length of time on the pitch for the first team.

I would have perhaps liked to have seen him stay till the end of the season when he may have got a chance if the situation permitted to see what he could really do, but we don't have the luxury of being able to afford to have too many players kicking about on slim hopes.

Like any player, he deserves a fair crack at the whip in getting games and he's being crowded out with us.  And like any club we have to keep one eye on the purse strings, so it make sense to free up wages to allow us to strengthen in other areas.

Good luck to the lad...will be keeping an eye on the press to see how he gets on.

Never given the opportunity to show us what he can do and I wish him well. Fair play to the guy as well for being brave enough to move up here when other players have quaked at the prospect being so far north!!

Will Hart and Caff be following him out the door next month?

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see Dean get a chance !! By all accounts he has been pretty good in the reserves, and has scored a few goals.

I know the reserves is a different kettle of fish to the first team and the likes of Rory was also quite prolific there too but less effective in the first team, but at least Rory has had a significant number of games to try and prove himself.

I have it on very reliable authority that Dean has decided to return to ICT following his trial at Gill's

In other words they didn't want him?

Not good news for us. The fact that he would have been allowed to leave confirms that he's not in the manager's plans, and Brew might have been relying on that wage being freed up to make another signing this month.

I wouldn't be surprised if we try to farm him out before the window shuts.

Bayne and Niculae aren't really the answer together; Denzil will probably always get a start ahead of Dean but if Dennis picks up another injury McDonald must be in with a shout. Brew's said that Dean's more of a 6-yard-box poacher, which doesn't fit in with the up-field punt, but the long ball to a target man certainly isn't our only option, as Markus proved when he came on this afternoon and started skinning them down the left wing (CB, remember that pace you reckoned we're missing?).

Turning points aren't often noticed at the time but if Dean really is staying, you never know...

Talking about "skinning backs" down the wing and "pace" I remember the day when fans on here were lambasting Niculae for  the lack of both attributes which at the time surprised me since I had just finished looking at a clip of him doing both on the left wing and getting a very neat cross in from the byeline immediately afterwards. And there was nothing too slow about him  then.

:024: