FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wireless Monitoring Software

SMEE

Does anyone know of software that can monitor my wireless router to make sure nobody else is getting access thro my connection. I have been suffering low and variable speeds and i want to eliminate the possibility of someone else using my internet connection and slowing me down.

My ISP (Pipex) reckons this could be the issue, but am fairly confident it is more to do with their inability to provide a reliable service.

You should be able to check by logging in to you Router Admin/Control Panel and looking at the attached devices to see if anyone who is not supposed to be is connected.

However, if you have your wireless network set up and configured properly then you should be using some form of encryption to prevent it in the first place.

I use a simpler solution than monitoring software although I do use NetStumbler from time to time to see what information others might see about my network or to see what other wireless networks are in my area.

I have a total of 4 PCs and a network attached printer in my house and i make sure my router can only issue a total of 5 IP addresses in a specified range. I also make sure I am using encryption so that anyone wanting to connect to the network has to do a bit of work and is likely to look for an unsecured network access point instead.

Depending on the make/model of your router you may also be able to add a further layer of protection by using MAC address filtering to only allow certain machines access to the network.

There are loads of tips in tweaking your network but one of the other things I did was to change my default router settings to use a different channel and SSID and to hide the SSID so its not visible to the casual viewer (or neighbours).

loads of tips here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4326-3688_7-6568745.html (a good slideshow)

http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/hackertools/a/aafreewifi.htm

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457019.aspx

http://ask-leo.com/can_i_monitor_or_contro...me_network.html

http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_what_int...my_machine.html

I do have the MAC address filtering on so ONLY my laptop and desktop are allowed to acess the network. I have WEP security enabled also, for which they would need a 9 letter and number password to get on, so am pretty sure there will be no others getting acess to my connection. But can never be too sure.

Guest SuilbhirCroat

I do have the MAC address filtering on so ONLY my laptop and desktop are allowed to acess the network. I have WEP security enabled also, for which they would need a 9 letter and number password to get on, so am pretty sure there will be no others getting acess to my connection. But can never be too sure.

If i can interfere a bit... :004:

MAC filtering is always a good solution, but i would advise you to use WPA encryption method. WPA is more secure than WEP. WEP uses a static key for transitting. You can enter 4 keys in options but only one is being used while transitting data. WPA generates diferrent keys.

Unfortunately, WEP is crackable in a few minutes with the right tools. 

WPA, and specifically WPA2 (if your router supports it), is pretty strong encryption.  Still vulnerable to a dictionary attack but just assign a long alphanumeric password (with a capital letter or two) and you'll be fine. :004:

The Plot thickens........BT Openreach engineer has been and tested my line and equipment at the exchange etc. His equipment detects an upstream speed of nigh on 4meg (which ties in with wat my wireless router detects). I even tried out the modem ISP gave me and am still getting speeds all over the place and nowhere near the 4meg :024:

The Plot thickens........BT Openreach engineer has been and tested my line and equipment at the exchange etc. His equipment detects an upstream speed of nigh on 4meg (which ties in with wat my wireless router detects). I even tried out the modem ISP gave me and am still getting speeds all over the place and nowhere near the 4meg :024:

Is your speed not limited by the bandwidth of the website/pc you are connecting to? I have had problems with connection speed to certain sites caused by their bandwidth/subscriber ratio.

I tested the line at a speedtest site. Intrestingly...... was at mates tonight and decided to test his BT connection speed which is on the same Culloden exchange. His result was UNDER 500kbps. That is shocking! Maybe the exchange is the problem as i know someone who did a test and got about 200kbps. People are paying for speeds they are getting no where near and that is not acceptable.

Test yer own here....only takes a few secs

http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk/

Ad be intrested to see others post their real speeds they are getting in Sneck....espesh in this area to see if it is the exchange at fault.

What ISP are you with Dee? Sounds like they arent very good if they saying theres nothing they can do. The BT openreach engineer told me that his dad lives in Cradlehall and gets 8Meg so why cant expect similar results :024:

I'm with AOL Smee,who i know come in for a lot of slagging,but i'm kinda tied in for now,however i only pay for 2 meg but get less than 500kbps,when phoned they said i would have to up to 8 meg package which would possibly get me "about" 4 meg because of the location,in all honesty the speeds allright for most of the stuff i do as i dont download large files or films etc allthough i find some clips start buffering occasionally,if i could just get the 2 meg i pay for i'd be quite happy.

• 4 weeks later...

After much screaming and gnashing of teeth,i have now got my connection upgraded to 8 meg package and am now getting 2-3 Mbps as the norm.I have seen it as high as 5.35 Mbps,but also as low as 200kbps at peak times!! Anyway , allround seems more satisfactory but the whole"up to" bit seems to be a load of bo**ox with many get out clauses and variables.Thanks to those who gave advice,info etc  :sillywave:

I still think we are being short changed on the Culloden exchange with contention rates at peak times! I think BT are cutting corners here. Pipex agree with me, a 4/5ths drop in speed at peak times suggests a problem. They reckon 1/2 Meg drop is more acceptable