FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Cigarettes to be banned from display

jaggedthistle

Saw this on the Beeb's website this morning 

Still not entirely awake yet and can't work the clicky thing  :017:, so here's the link  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7310884.stm

I'm a smoker myself (going to attempt to stop for the 3rd time next week) but fags behind the counter had nothing to do with me starting smoking!!  It was my mate at the end of 4th year on our lunch break round by the back gates of school...

Anyone else think this is a bit OTT?

I think it's been pretty well established that cigarette smoking is harmful not only to a smoker's health but to the health of those in close proximity. Anything that might help prevent young people from starting is surely to be encouraged.

And these displays of fags, cigars, baccy, papers, etc, etc.. are very eye catching and tempting...

I packed in smoking a few years ago now, but occasionally I look at these displays and think - My God - I could murder one of these Hamlet cigars... I know what would happen if I did though... :011:

I'm a smoker myself (going to attempt to stop for the 3rd time next week) but fags behind the counter had nothing to do with me starting smoking!!  It was my mate at the end of 4th year on our lunch break round by the back gates of school...

I'd say that's probably how a large majority of smokers started....  :icon_ganja:

Non smoker for many years and hate fags and fag smoke, but i think the victimisation of all things tobacco is going tooooo far now.Taxed to feck and baned from public places was fair enough,but this nonsense of no smoking on NHS land (ootdoors!!) fer fecks sake and licences for smokers and hiding the fags away is nonsense.As the correspondent  in the article says "either ban cigarettes completely and suffer the loss of revenue to the tresuary or stop demonising smokers."

I totally agree that smoking is harmful, and looking back I wish I'd said no - it would have saved me an absolute fortune.  I just don't see how this will have any effect on stopping young people from starting.  Drugs are not available in shops, but look at the amount of drugs doing the rounds...

Vending machines are mainly in bars and if the bars are doing their jobs young kids shouldn't be in there anyway.  Just a thought, like!   :003:

Guest TinCanFan

I think that this is too lenient.  Just ban them, ban them all and when they get banned, send alcohol away with them.

Guest TinCanFan

If I was in power (hopefully one day I will be) if the government were to cut money from the buying of Nuclear Weapons and the huge bloated spending on the military.  And anyway cigarettes have been banned in the small Asian country of Bhutan and they seem to do okay without the money from fags

But if they ban them, where will the government get the extra money from to make up for the loss?

Petrol/diesel & booze....  :020:

Exactly, so if you think about it - us smokers are actually doing everyone a favour!!!    :tic01: :015: :015:

There's maybe a case for preventing young irresponsible people from getting their hands on cheap booze....

For the likes of you, me and the Immortal Howden Ender and perhaps a few others it should be made cheaper and more accessible...  :023:

Guest TinCanFan

Steady Tin Can, you are going too far now wanting to ban alcohol.

I don't think so, I reckon the effects of alcohol are worse than fags (ie: drunken behaviours) and have you ever heard of a man beating up his life after a night on the fags?

But if they ban them, where will the government get the extra money from to make up for the loss?

Petrol/diesel & booze....  :020:

Exactly, so if you think about it - us smokers are actually doing everyone a favour!!!    :tic01: :015: :015:

You're also slowly killing us your passive smoke.  :sad01:

If I was in power (hopefully one day I will be) if the government were to cut money from the buying of Nuclear Weapons and the huge bloated spending on the military.  And anyway cigarettes have been banned in the small Asian country of Bhutan and they seem to do okay without the money from fags

Now there's a scary thought!  :017: :rotflmao:

I don't think so, I reckon the effects of alcohol are worse than fags (ie: drunken behaviours) and have you ever heard of a man beating up his life after a night on the fags?

TCF a  man who wants to hit his wife will do it with or without drink drugs but  drink probably fuels it. So the answer is for that man not to drink.As the are loads of people out there that drink and have a right laugh so why take drink away from those who can behave with a fill ??