Switzerland v Turkey

Round 3

Switzerland v Portugal

Turkey v Czech Republic

Results

Round 1

Switzerland 0 v 1 Czech Rep

Portugal 2 v 0 Turkey

Wins as expected for the Czechs and Portugal. Czech Rep. were very much below par and a shadow of previous sides that we have seen. They are desperately missing Rosicky and they were made to battle all the way by a Swiss team who were better than I gave them credit for. The loss of Frei before half time was a big blow for Switzerland and they didn't look quite as dangerous in the 2nd half. A smart finish from Sverkos secured the win.

Portugal had a routine victory over Turkey but struggled at times with the lack of an out and out goal scorer evident in their team. The have a solid back line and a good creative midfield with plenty of creativity to call upon in the form of Ronaldo, Moutinho, Simao, Quaresma, Nani and Deco but Nuno Gomes cannot cut the mustard and this is where Portugal could get found out. Pepe looks a solid player and Mountiho looks certain to win new admirers this summer. I have Portugal in the sweepstake at work so I am quite happy with that but I would like to see Almeida play up front in the next game and see how he does.

Just cleaned myself after nearly defacating my boxers during the Croatia game  :022:

Won just over ?100 yesterday on betting the Czech v. Swiss game would be low scoring, with a draw half time Czech win full time. Followed by a flutter on Portugal to win, after seeing how strong they were in the first 5mins of the game.

So in a half cut state I threw it all on Croatia to win at evens  :021:

Austria deserved something from that game, despite Boularouz (sp?) being lucky to stay on the pitch.

Banking almost all of the money, and putting a wee ?20 flutter on Germany v. Poland being low scoring.

Get this in the Group B Chat thread!  :008:

:016:

Guest birdog

Watching the Swiss vs Turkey just now and that first goal is one of the strangest I have seen. How badly drenched is that pitch?

EDIT- This match needs abandoned, the ball is only travelling inches when run along the ground.

That has to have been one of the most entertaining matches of the tournament so far.  Granted, the first half was entertaining due to the farcical conditions, but all credit to those that got the pitch sorted at half time and some great end to end football as a result.

Round 2

Czech Republic 1 v 3 Portugal

Switzerland 1 v 2 Turkey

I have Portugal in the sweep at work so I'm happy with that result though the Czechs ran them close. If only they had a striker they (Portugal) would be a good bet for the title. With Germany losing yesterday it looks like they will come up against each other int he next round. Tasty! They will need to improve dramatically if they are to progress beyond that. Czech v Croatia will be a nice tie as well if that's how it works out.

Inspiring stuff from the gritty young Turks, I love their resilience and passion for the competition no mater the score.  It's upto the other pampered young sides in the Netherlands and Portugal, who have so far not had to prove themselves when behind, to show they have the stomach for it as far as I'm concerned.

The Turks are an aggressive and determined side, who play as a team with no shortage of ability, I'd love to see them go all the way and am really looking forward to their quarter final v Croatia.  It should be some game.