FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Return of the Counter Attack?

davieB

On yesterday's evidence it looked like we'd reverted back to the style we used to such great effect that season we went an age undefeated away from home.

With just Barrowman upfront (and the only real viable choice), we used the system perfectly yesterday, and full credit to Brewster for getting the tactics spot on.

We do desperately need another striker I know, but away from home I reckon we've got the players capable of playing on the counter, so the option of playing a lone striker becomes more appealing.

To be honest I hope Brew sticks with this tactic, and it's fantastic to watch.......suck them in, then....BANG, break with speed.

Edited by davieB

Yip - the problem last season was that we only had one political option.

Onwards and upwards as they say. I was very impressed with Barrowman yesterday, he got through a pile of work, and played superbly with his back to goal. The likes of Imrie, Cowie, and Roy have the pace to make this system work.

Onwards and upwards as they say. I was very impressed with Barrowman yesterday, he got through a pile of work, and played superbly with his back to goal. The likes of Imrie, Cowie, and Roy have the pace to make this system work.

Downwards and Eastwards I hope. :rotflmao:

Barrowman is the viable option becos of Rory's inability to assume such a role - However I feel that Rooney could hold down such a role as well - albeit probably not as effectively as Barrowman - perhaps Wood may also be able to in the future.

I thought we played the perfect away game yesterday. We set up solidly with Black and Duncan protecting our defence and a lone striker but we had the players in midfield who could get forward quickly in Imrie and Cowie to support him. Great stuff.

I thought we played the perfect away game yesterday. We set up solidly with Black and Duncan protecting our defence and a lone striker but we had the players in midfield who could get forward quickly in Imrie and Cowie to support him. Great stuff.

Agree with this Chris. Our midfield was fine tuned for its purpose yesterday but it didn't stop Black thundering forward at times. Imrie and Cowie seemed to take it in turns to support Barrowman who held the ball up well. Duncan did the dirty work while Black sprayed the ball about well to the likes of Imrie and Cowie to led the break. I just didn't notice McBain until the 2nd half really when he seemed to come more and more into the game.

Our 2nd goal is the best example of a counter attacking goal. It will be used to illustrate how to play the counter attacking game to perfection :rotflmao:

Delighted that Brew seems to have settled on a 4-5-1 away system format.

Barrowman's performance was nothing short of spectacular in my opinion, playing as a lone striker. Huge improvement from his preseason games!

One match hardly qualifies for "settled" :rotflmao:

However, as I said in the pre-match thread, we have to make best use of the midfield to cover for, what I consider, a front and back line which isn't ideal. Home or away, I'm not going to be comfortable seeing us line up with a conventional 4-4-2.....so long as Brewster can avoid falling back into that "comfort zone" then not only will we benefit, but we could witness some very exciting football as we play the ball on the ground more and are less reluctant to hoof it long.

It has always tended to be Brews fave system has 4-5-1 but you need the players to gel in such a system. Barrowman and Imrie could be the missing links. We have played some great stuff with the 4-5-1 - Who was at Tannadice when Black, Cowie and Rankin tore the Arabs apart. If Barrowman had been up front that day we would have got a barrowload. We have simply swopped Imrie fer Rankin - now looking like a good move - and Barrowman fer the greedy Mercenary - an even better move.

Hamilton is going to be very interesting to see how we will turn out - Ya can play the 4-5-1 at home against the Old Filth but nobody else really. So who are we going to drop or do we go to a 4-4-2. That could be highly dependent on whether Rooney arrives or not.

I just hope that we stick to the systems this year instead of feckin about - should be OK now the Romanian clown has gone though. Our main problem is going to be injuries and suspensions - the depth has dropped out of our squad.