FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Duncan

A couple of people made the point on the Arbroath match thread that we missed Duncan's presence in the middle of the park last night. Although I get frustrated by his distribution, he would still make my first choice ICT line-up, but I know not everyone has felt this way in the past. I was Aberdeen and thought he had an excellent game, but I didn't see either of the two subsequent league games. So my question is: has the apparent deterioration in performance much to do with Russell's absence, or is it mostly CB's tactics? And has anyone re-evaluated their opinion of Russell having seen the team without him recently? Your thoughts.

BTW - when is he due to return?

Edited by alternative maryhill

Sorry I don't

Think we can progress and would have had to if he had left had his holding gun to our head not worked!

His ball distribution even towards the end of last season was not consistent enough and doesn't look to have improved in thefirst couple of games I have seen this season

Sorry

Sorry I don't

.. Blah blah blah..

Sorry

Why.. Its a forum, your entitled to an opinion?

I think Duncans missed as a holding midfielder who can slows down and controls the tempo when we need it most.

If we had him then think we would see less of the long ball we all know and love.. :rotflmao:

Okay he may not be the most consistent performer, but who in our team is, bar Blackie.

Russell Duncan does a very important and unglamarous job for ICT. He breaks up a lot of play by the opposition. So, his passing isnt the best.........just as well its not integral part of his role.

He is a very useful player and a bit of an unsung hero.

Russell Duncan does a very important and unglamarous job for ICT. He breaks up a lot of play by the opposition. So, his passing isnt the best.........just as well its not integral part of his role.

He is a very useful player and a bit of an unsung hero.

Which Russell Duncan? Because there's two of him, and you never know which you're gonna get, in the same way were were warned about Lionel. On his day - of which he had many last season - he's an invaluable part of the team, an anchor the likes of which we've not seen since Keogh was at his brief but brilliant best. On off days he's a complete liability - it's all opinion but I've rarely seen him have a so-so game, he's either great or atrocious. Unfortunately (yes, again) the guy who either profited from his excellence or covered up for his inadequacy - Richie Hart - was shown the door.

One of my fave players - probably cos I mainly watch away games. Away from home he can usually sit in his little hole in front of the defence and he can be quietly effective - if you get a chance just watch the ammount of covering that he actually does - when he has a ball player with him he usually resorts to the short pass to that player - when he has wide players he usually resorts to spreading it wide, again all quietly effective.

Unfortunately his inconsistency shows when he has to be more of a playmaker and the majority of the time he pings balls to the opposition. At home he is sumwhat negated and has to take on a more forward driving role which he isnt that good at. But another "skill" is that he can fire a good screamer from 25-30 yards and he does Have "leadership" in the sense that you can often see him slowing things done or getting fired up if he thought peeple were not putting in the effort.

Hope he is back tomorrow - with Black and Cowie and Wilson (wide)

I think Russell Duncans a burden in our midfield and has been for a wee while. Although he produces some spectacular strikes he is generally very sloppy in both his passing and control of the ball, he also has a bad habit of opening his mouth at the wrong time. Plus he thinks he is better than he is like with that contract fiasco and Brewster said it wasn't affecting him..well for me he was our worst player sometimes at that point.

Put it this way he dosen't make my first team squad.

Edited by ajsict92

I think Russell Duncans a burden in our midfield and has been for a wee while. Although he produces some spectacular strikes he is generally very sloppy in both his passing and control of the ball, he also has a bad habit of opening his mouth at the wrong time. Plus he thinks he is better than he is like with that contract fiasco and Brewster said it wasn't affecting him..well for me he was our worst player sometimes at that point.

Put it this way he dosen't make my first team squad

I affraid to say I agree 100%.

I have made no secret in the past that he is by far my most favoured player at ICT. I dont think (aside from a few spectacular 25-20 yarders) that he is anything special, and I don't miss him in our line up.

IMO, he's going to have to work VERY hard - harder than ever - to regain his place in the starting 11. Vigurs seems to be getting better with every match, and Black has been immense so far this season.

I can seriously see him going the same way as Caff - out of the side a wee bit too long that his match fitness dwindles and he gets palmed out on loan in and attempt to get back to speed...

Wasn't missed today and Black seemed to be the one getting plaudits from the commentators for controlling the midfield.

He certainly wasn't. I've always felt that Duncan was the only player we had capable of doing a "sitting" role, and believed that Blackie couldn't do it, because he'd be neutering the best part of his game and giving away free kicks by challenging late with his wee legs. However, Black was superb today playing deep, and Roy McBain covered well for him when he was going forward. Craig Brewster, unexpected tactical genius, has made a liar of me.

Its not an issue, we need them all. Just because things worked out well yesterday

does,nt mean they always will. Long term injuries, suspensions, tiredness and loss

of form, even the odd jail sentence can all come along and upset the apple cart.

For the 4 who began yesterday we have cover in Imrie, Proctor, Gillespie and Duncan

and for this year Wilson. We will probably need them all before the seasons out. Also

different types of player may be more suitable for certain games than others. We forget

quickly what influential games the likes of Russel Duncan in the holding role have had

against the big teams like Rangers and Celtic. I,d be a little more circumspect in what

you wish for when it comes to dumping one of our most (and only) experienced senior players.