FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness High School.......

CaleyD

BNP you can rest easy, the old school will be shut tomorrow but will re-open after the October holidays.

Thats great news. I've got many happy memories of being battered up & down the P.E. hall by half a dozen illiterate Clach tinks back in the day. Regularly. :rotflmao:

They didn't appreciate my forthright views! ie "You lot are breeds."

I was reading...there is just over 400 going to IHS now. Where the hell have they all gone? When i was in First year...It was a big school with near1800- 2000 pupils. I know the likes of Culloden has opened, but IHS still has the same catchment area etc

I was reading...there is just over 400 going to IHS now. Where the hell have they all gone? When i was in First year...It was a big school with near1800- 2000 pupils. I know the likes of Culloden has opened, but IHS still has the same catchment area etc

If Culloden has opened since you left school, then so also may Charleston Academy(Charleston 1978, Culloden 1979) which now has a roll of approaching 1000 and which takes in a large chunk of the former IHS catchment area. Was ithe IHS really as large as 1800-2000? I seem to recollect the biggest roll I heard for the High School was around 1600 and that was possibly before the change to comprehensive when it catered for Technical and Commercial pupils from the entire Inverness area.

Certainly the IHS roll has plunged dramatically. Part of that will be demographic - in other words people have stayed in their houses but no longer have kids of school age. It's also possible that the legislation allowing pupils to attend schools outwith the catchment area in which they live may have had an effect.

For the size of building that's not a lot.

Culloden academy is badly needing an extension to hold all it's pupils!

If Culloden has opened since you left school, then so also may Charleston Academy(Charleston 1978, Culloden 1979) which now has a roll of approaching 1000 and which takes in a large chunk of the former IHS catchment area. Was ithe IHS really as large as 1800-2000? I seem to recollect the biggest roll I heard for the High School was around 1600 and that was possibly before the change to comprehensive when it catered for Technical and Commercial pupils from the entire Inverness area.

Certainly the IHS roll has plunged dramatically. Part of that will be demographic - in other words people have stayed in their houses but no longer have kids of school age. It's also possible that the legislation allowing pupils to attend schools outwith the catchment area in which they live may have had an effect.

From 1978 to 1984 (when I left) the school roll always seemed to be quoted in the region of 1500. They were still using all of the "huts" at that time ... to hear it is now nearer 500 is quite a surprise

I'm just a year behind you Scott & i thought there were about 12-1300 in the school at the time. Smee must be about 53 years old though. :rotflmao:

You were in the same year as mee then! :thumb04:

It was deffo more than 1200-1300 circa 82-84. Maybe am thinking of the time when Merkinch school moved into the huts while it got revamped.

I'd forgotten about that. The Human Zoo.

It was deffo more than 1200-1300 circa 82-84. Maybe am thinking of the time when Merkinch school moved into the huts while it got revamped.

dont remember that .... was that after 84 ?

BNP could be right - lets just say that in our time it was at the low end perhaps around 1200 and at the high end as high as 1500 .... certainly nowhere near as low as it is now.

still remember having to try and get from "Teuchie's" (sp?) history class in Hut 78 (the absolute furthest away one) to McPhee's art class in the main building in about 30 seconds ... if you didnt get there in time, it was the belt for you and as "Teuchie" had a habit of rambling on or going mental at the end of periods, it was a frequent occurence for some random person in our class

dont remember that .... was that after 84 ?

BNP could be right - lets just say that in our time it was at the low end perhaps around 1200 and at the high end as high as 1500 .... certainly nowhere near as low as it is now.

still remember having to try and get from "Teuchie's" (sp?) history class in Hut 78 (the absolute furthest away one) to McPhee's art class in the main building in about 30 seconds ... if you didnt get there in time, it was the belt for you and as "Teuchie" had a habit of rambling on or going mental at the end of periods, it was a frequent occurence for some random person in our class

Merkinch Primary School moved into the IHS huts must have been 1982 or early 1983. The reason I know this was that I was in first year, and had mates a year behind me who i was delighted as i thought ad see em in school

I take it you know Scotty....that the Huts were flattened many many yrs ago and is now part of the playing fields.

Edited by SMEE

• 2 months later...