FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Europa Qualification Permutations

Bush

Before anyone get's negative it's simple what we have to do, and how the teams are gonna react in the split

• St Johnston and Dundee United will both be focusing on the cup final that's it
  • Celtic will be trying to play some of there youth cause they have already won the league which could be easier to play
  • Aberdeen will be tired and will probably still be on a low after yesterday so they might struggle on Friday night
  • Motherwall are the only team that we have to be concerned about cause they still are fighting for second

If we are being serious then 15 from 15 points is very much achievable and we should be pushing for that if europe is still something we want.

1. Why would St Johnstone or Dundee United focus on a cup final that is 5 weeks away? If anything they will want to pushing up as far as the league as they can because obviously if St Johnstone win the cup then Dundee United will want/need to finish 3rd. I can't see them struggling.

2. Celtic will play a mixed side I would imagine and not a whole team of youngsters. A draw would be a great result IMO.

3. Aberdeen won't be tired if anything they will be focusing on making sure they finish second place.

4. As I said above I can't see Motherwell slumping now because they are on a bit of form at the moment.

For me personally, I would be happy enough with a 4th place finish as it's a bit more cash for ICT than a 5th place finish. If we finish 3rd then absolutely fantastic but as the saying goes whatever will be, will be!

1. Both teams will not want to get their players injured so they might back off and not try as much so they have a fully fit squad for the final
  2. sure a draw would be great but out of the 3 fixtures we have played them apart from the 5-0 one it has always been close even that one at times we played better football than them, so i would say a win should be our target cause it's very much achievable
  3. After playing yesterday then they won't have the same time we have to train and get fit, plus some still might be angry at the result and put in a bad challenge on his own player
  4. Nah Motherwell will be our hardest game as i said before they still have everything to fight for  

1. Why would either team "Not try as much". Our final game of the season vs St Johnstone could be interesting because it will be the week before the final and as you say they could have their eye on the final. In no way will either team not be 100% committed because of the cup final. 

2. If we get anything from Parkhead then I will be happy. I agree with you when it's been close games especially the first game at Parkhead where we should have got 3 points.

3. Regardless of playing yesterday, Aberdeen will be like a wounded animal and want to regroup.These guys are professional footballers will be fully fit for Friday and as I said they will want to finish second in the table. I think they are a win or less away from securing 3rd place. We will need to be top of our game which I think we will be after the well needed resting period. 

4. Playing away at Fir Park is always a difficult task and they aren't safe to finish 3rd. 

I know I am reply to your points and you may think I am being negative - not at all. It was when you said 15 points out of 15 is achievable. Absolutely it can be achievable but it's a tough ask and if we get Europe then great but we've had a great season so far and if we don't get Europe then it won't be the be all and end all. There's always next season  :smile:  :ictscarf:

Basically even I could not predict the split games - all six teams are capable of beating each other, all six teams are capable of going on a winning streak, all six teams are capable of playing as well away as they are at home. Unfortunately I think that it will be The teams that amassed most points prior to the split - Aberdire and Muvversmell - as I can see numerous draws and everybody taking points off each other.

If we can recapture our form of the first third of the season then anything is possible. On the other hand, if we continue in the form we've shown more recently then we will struggle to hold onto fifth.

The next five games ought to tell us much about the new manager. While I think the chances of Europe have gone, winning more games post split than we lose will amount to pass marks.

One game at a time folks...........first up the Dons,

Strongest point their shooting but they have to be given space,  getting to the ball before them and closing them down fast and hard is important.

Weakest point their defence, easily ripped apart, win and hold the midfield then fast passing to and from wings should bring us chances which must be taken.

This should be a cracking game and one which we can win decisively.

Strongest point their shooting but they have to be given space,  getting to the ball before them and closing them down fast and hard is important.

Weakest point their defence, easily ripped apart, win and hold the midfield then fast passing to and from wings should bring us chances which must be taken.

Aberdeen have conceded less than a goal per game so what makes you say their defence is a weak point and is easily ripped apart ? What a ridiculous post .

• Agree 1

Before anyone get's negative it's simple what we have to do, and how the teams are gonna react in the split

• St Johnston and Dundee United will both be focusing on the cup final that's it
  • Celtic will be trying to play some of there youth cause they have already won the league which could be easier to play
  • Aberdeen will be tired and will probably still be on a low after yesterday so they might struggle on Friday night
  • Motherwall are the only team that we have to be concerned about cause they still are fighting for second

If we are being serious then 15 from 15 points is very much achievable and we should be pushing for that if europe is still something we want.

1. Why would St Johnstone or Dundee United focus on a cup final that is 5 weeks away? If anything they will want to pushing up as far as the league as they can because obviously if St Johnstone win the cup then Dundee United will want/need to finish 3rd. I can't see them struggling.

2. Celtic will play a mixed side I would imagine and not a whole team of youngsters. A draw would be a great result IMO.

3. Aberdeen won't be tired if anything they will be focusing on making sure they finish second place.

4. As I said above I can't see Motherwell slumping now because they are on a bit of form at the moment.

For me personally, I would be happy enough with a 4th place finish as it's a bit more cash for ICT than a 5th place finish. If we finish 3rd then absolutely fantastic but as the saying goes whatever will be, will be!

1. Both teams will not want to get their players injured so they might back off and not try as much so they have a fully fit squad for the final
  2. sure a draw would be great but out of the 3 fixtures we have played them apart from the 5-0 one it has always been close even that one at times we played better football than them, so i would say a win should be our target cause it's very much achievable
  3. After playing yesterday then they won't have the same time we have to train and get fit, plus some still might be angry at the result and put in a bad challenge on his own player
  4. Nah Motherwell will be our hardest game as i said before they still have everything to fight for  

1. Why would either team "Not try as much". Our final game of the season vs St Johnstone could be interesting because it will be the week before the final and as you say they could have their eye on the final. In no way will either team not be 100% committed because of the cup final. 

2. If we get anything from Parkhead then I will be happy. I agree with you when it's been close games especially the first game at Parkhead where we should have got 3 points.

3. Regardless of playing yesterday, Aberdeen will be like a wounded animal and want to regroup.These guys are professional footballers will be fully fit for Friday and as I said they will want to finish second in the table. I think they are a win or less away from securing 3rd place. We will need to be top of our game which I think we will be after the well needed resting period. 

4. Playing away at Fir Park is always a difficult task and they aren't safe to finish 3rd. 

I know I am reply to your points and you may think I am being negative - not at all. It was when you said 15 points out of 15 is achievable. Absolutely it can be achievable but it's a tough ask and if we get Europe then great but we've had a great season so far and if we don't get Europe then it won't be the be all and end all. There's always next season  :smile:  :ictscarf:

1. Both teams won't want key players injured for the final i.e. Stevie May so they might not always play him the full 90 minutes
  2. I think celtic will be in holiday mode already so we should win a lot easier
  3. Aberdeen yes will be like a wounded animal so when they are trying really hard we should let them, our defence can cope with it so all we need to do is just break on them and with the pace on the wings we should be fine either way, cause they will be trying to make up for Sunday and they will make mistakes in what they are doing
  4. Fir Park are gonna be our toughest game cause they still have everything still to play for

it will be tough but we can achieve it as long as we start playing the way we did at the start of the season. Next season will be even better all our main players are signed up so we should with a couple of new signings push and achieve europe i would say quite easily  :ictscarf:  :ictscarf:

Whilst mathematically possible we all know top 3 isn't going to happen.  Even if we win all 5 games, we need Motherwell to get a maximum of only 7 points from their 5 games.  In addition, our current form is currently the poorest of the top 6.  Whatever we do, a top 3 finish is entirely in the hands of others.

Much as I would love a little european adventure (even if it did hit the club's finances) I think it is time to cut our losses for this season and start thinking about next with Europe in mind.  As I say, I would love a European adventure and in my view, next season gives us the best chance we will ever have.  There will be no Rangers and no Hearts to compete with, Hibs are rebuilding and are unlikely to be a threat next season but will return stronger in time.  On the other hand, we have our best squad ever and a settled one at that.  We may never have a better opportunity for a top 3 finish other than these last 2 seasons when, for various reasons, we have let it slip.

If we are going to have success next season it will be vital to get off to a flier and not spend the first round of matches experimenting with systems.  By the start of next season we need to have found the right balance between the abilities of the players we have and the manager's philosophy for the way he wants the game to be played.  Rather than focus on trying to attain the unattainable this season I think we would be better to use the opportunity of highly competeive matches against good quality opposition to devlop the playing style for next season. 

• Agree 1

Aberdeen have conceded less than a goal per game so what makes you say their defence is a weak point and is easily ripped apart ? What a ridiculous post .

That's your way of thinking DC and I can see why you have that opinion. However if you care to look back over a lot of their games you will see that they have been really fortunate to lose so few goals. A lot of it was down to good goalkeeping but a lot more of it was down to missed opportunities.

Perhaps you see it as a ridiculous post but then perhaps you don't read football the way I interpret it.

I think most people have come to terms that it may be a bridge too far as its outwith our control, however.

If we are within 6 points of Motherwell before our 2nd last match  and if Aberdeen do us a favor on the last day, then that would be the great escape pt 2. 

Im still not sure how we managed to get to a final with 9 men and losing in the semi but we did.

It would be nice to say Im not sure how we managed to get into Europe being so far behind the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Dare to dream europe

A late contender for the CTO Most Optimistic Post of the Season Award..

We win today and we are only a point away from Dundee United and if Motherwell lose we would be 5 points - it's not impossible.

Oh well.  Now that the European dream is over I suppose we can expect Hughes to start experimenting with the way we play. :hiding02:

Yes, just as we all should expect him to do.

Edited by caleyboy

Just a thought but finishing above Divedee United would not only mean an extra £82000 in prize money but we would enter the League Cup a round later if St J's win the cup and get into Europe.