FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Let's go out of Sneck

Well I remember those trips as a youngster to the Nairn Games on the train.  How exciting.  It was our only day out of the year, and the trains in those days didn't even have corridors, and each carriage was packed to capacity (and more!).  As I grew older my mates and I sometimes cycled to Nairn on Games day, taking our lives in our hands on those long stretches of the Nairn road.  But an enduring fondness for the links at Nairn was generated which stayed with me, firstly as a cricketing venue, and later for golf on Nairn's two great courses.

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks
  • Agree 1

Off here in a couple of weeks - used to be one of the great days out

image.jpg

​The Nairn Games, possibly late 50s/early 60s going by the clothes and cars but can IBM date it more accurately from the cars? Looks as if it was taken from the Marine Hotel. It seems like the rare phenomenon of a windless day on Nairn Links since the smoke from the starter's gun seems to be going straight up, although I can't actually see the starter. It looks like the start of a 220 or 880 yard race from the position of the line, although the poses of the athletes do suggest the shorter distance.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
addition