FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Worst defensive record in the league

Yngwie

Why do we currently have the worst defensive record in the league? Tick as many factors as you think apply.  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why do we currently have the worst defensive record in the league? Tick as many factors as you think apply.

• Quality of Goalkeeper
    • Quality of Defenders
    • Cohesiveness of defensive unit
    • Poor defending of set pieces
    • Midfielders not working hard enough to provide protection
    • Consequence of playing attacking football
    • Injuries
    • Referees
    • Bad luck
    • Other

Watching the highlights and these piccies the defence is at fault as well. WTF is Warren doing so far forward. If the back four had remained together then Tremarco or Draper would have picked up the runner. Where are the two wide players ? As bdu points out however we are playing some out of position. I would suspect that Draper would play more as a traditional centre half which does not tie in with Warren. Meekings always struggled as a full back. And finally we simply dp not have a squad where we have straight replacements if needed. BTW Warren's second yellow was correct, needless and stupidity.

7 hours ago, forresjags said:

So what you are saying then, is that playing Vigurs in a central midfield is the reason we have a dreadful defensive record. Nothing to do with not being able to defend set pieces,  being caught out for pace at the back and at times some questionable goalkeeping. 

No; all the things you mention are certainly big contributory factors. I just think that the selection of Vigurs in that role for much of the season, when there have been alternatives, has been a mistake, and that (without trying to rubbish Vigurs as a player or Foran as a manager) it has been probably the most needless and avoidable of the various factors in our dodgy defending. Ironically, I probably would leave Vigurs in there on Saturday, as we are down to the bare bones; as bdu98196 points out, Tremarco has been just about our best player this season in his natural position, and has weighed in with a few goals too, so it might take it away more than it adds if we move him into the middle, although I think he could do a job there.

45 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

Killie took a doing tonight lost 5-1.

A time for togetherness and belief going into Saturdays match. 

A win will take us back above Kilmarnock on goal difference if Motherwell beat them on Saturday.

Edited by IBM
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, IBM said:

A win will take us back above Kilmarnock on goal difference if Motherwell beat them on Saturday.

If Celtic beat Partick Thistle by 6 on Friday night, we could be back off the bottom without even playing!

Due to the nature of the league now, the positions of teams does not really matter. One win or loss can catapult you up or down.

I believe at the moment with the current number of injuries and suspensions it is time to change the style and dig in, play as a defensive unit and get points, draws are fine (a point doesn't sound like much but it stops the team we are playing gaining on us, an odd ugly win is more than welcome as well. Once we have our full squad back then we can change to a more attacking style.

I don't necessarily mean change the players - because we cant really but change to roles of each player in certain circumstances.

I fully expect to be bottom by the turn of the year due to our injuries. However as long as we are in striking distance of a pack of 3/4 teams I will not be too bothered and would expect when we have our best 11 fit, we will pick up enough points to climb the league again.

• Agree 2