FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ossie Ardiles

caleyjags

Ossie is a circus stunt. He was a terrible manager for Spurs, and has gone downhill ever since. He knows nothing about ICT or the SPL. If he didn't manage to keep us up, which I doubt he would, he would be off quick as a flash. It's just not a serious option, but a nice little media stunt for him. don't touch him with a bargepole.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i seriously doubt its a media stunt. why would he? his name is enough for any club down south to sit up and take notice, why would he pick a small club fighting relegation in the spl?

if he is such a failure as manager, then that presumably means he can't get a job down south as a result. then surely this is no stunt and he is actually interested? i know many think of him as a risk, and it is, but so is robbo. it doesn't take long to learn a couple of facts from a sheet and have a look at the squad, then presumably ossy would then 'know the club' and 'have their best interests at heart'

we all know robbo has his best interests at hearts.

Any manager is a risk ..... no matter who it is.

Lets assume for a minute that Ossie is indeed serious about this application (I have my doubts) .... what are the pros and cons ?

PROS:

"Sexy" Football - We know ICT are a good team on the deck and he would bring this back (maybe).

Increased Crowds - His name would add some curiosity factor to our games and maybe an upturn in crowd numbers.

He has managed to save a couple of clubs from relegation in his managerial career.

This article is a little more positive about him than some I have read: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2154002.ece

CONS:

Knows little or nothing about the SPL - could be resolved by picking the right assistant

Language Barrier - He obviously speaks English well but it is still heavily accented so could he get his message across - again, Assistant could help

He never stays at one club very long (7 clubs in 8 yrs) - either resigns or is sacked. Is this personality or poor coaching/results?

Is he actually interested in ICT or just in rekindling a waning managerial career by raising his own profile. Succeed or fail at ICT, Brewster gets blame.

Chas and Dave might record our new club song

Was interesting to get an insight into Ardilles from Duncan Shearer last night (trained under him at Swindon).

Ardilles seems to be the opposite of Brewster with the main focus of his training/coaching centring around ball work with less of a focus on fitness routines.

He also has a preference for playing the diamond formation.

As was said last night, if he was to be offered the job he would need to have someone with him who knows the game here as that's the biggest "hole" in his CV.

Also interesting to note that he is a Qualified Lawyer, Argentinian Table Tennis Champion and a Chess Grandmaster....not sure what that has to do with anything, but interesting Trivia all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

There was quite a lot of speculation on this thread that Ossie was not really interested in our job. Today I spoke with my friend Steve Perryman, who was a colleague of Ossie's at Spurs, and indeed worked with him as assistant manager on a couple of occasions. I can tell you that Ossie was extremely serious about the job. So much so that he had already lined up and had agreement from his prospective number 2. I won't say who this is as he is currently working and under contract at a club.

Thought I'd just let you know the facts. I wasn't advocating Ossie for the job, and I'm happy with Butcher's appointment from those who were on the shortlist

• 3 months later...

Don't think he was a good option at the time. At the time of appointent. Butcher was without doubt the right choice and instilled a mentallity that had had been missing under brewster. Getting results. If he had een given more time i think he would have kept us up.