FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ref's?

CaleyMad

Listening to Radio Scotland everytime i go home from the football, jim trayner always seems to get celtic/rangers, even falkirk fans pleeding for video ref's.

They always mention how popular it is with rugby.

Im sort of on the fence with it?

The main disadvantage is the cost of more camera's situated around the ground and also how much time it would waste of the game.

What does everyone else think of this topic???

Guest birdog

I am not totally against video referees but I think it would be a better idea to either have an extra linesman on each side or a goal judge at each goal.

I would be in favour of the 4th (or even a 5th) official having access to live footage which they could rewind to review controversial or dubious incidents. They could then communicate that to the official on the park via headsets or something like that. As it would be used only where the game is already stopped, and only then when the incident is controversial or dubious or maybe where the resultant action may be a red card, it would not really impact the flow of the game.

I would not be in favour of any system that led to sustained or extra stoppages though.

It is something that i would be open to see. At least if it did we would know that the right decisons will be made each time. But there are so many things that involve decisions in football.

Over the line?

Offside?

Foul or not?

Use of the arm or not?

So many things can happen in amongst a contriversial goal or decision. I would wonder how they could find a way to accomidate it all.

Edited by ajsict92

No way i am totally 100% opposed to this idea. I am a ref and from my point of view no.

Have you ever watched a rugby game - it works fine there as the game is so stop start anyway but in football no.

For example - if there is a query about the ball crossing the line and it is cleared away still in play to a striker who is running in on the other goal almost certainly going to score but the ref has to stop the game and they discover the ball didnt cross the line how do they restart the game?

It has to be a no from me.

No way i am totally 100% opposed to this idea. I am a ref and from my point of view no.

Have you ever watched a rugby game - it works fine there as the game is so stop start anyway but in football no.

For example - if there is a query about the ball crossing the line and it is cleared away still in play to a striker who is running in on the other goal almost certainly going to score but the ref has to stop the game and they discover the ball didnt cross the line how do they restart the game?

Having 2 refs on the park would be an advantage. 1 in each half. They then could assist each other with any dubious happenings

I think referee's need to be allowed to make the decisions. Lately, especially down south, I see more and more communication between all four officials. That can only be a good thing and should be encouraged. A ref cannot see everything in the same way a fan high up in a stand can so he will miss something but if the other officials see it they need to be more forthcoming and assist as they are supposed to do.

I dont see need for video evidence unless its to appeal a wrong decision in something like a wrongful identity or sending off.

I do, however, think ref's need to let games flow a bit more. Giving a free kick for a shoulder charge is stupid. Strongest player wins the ball end off. Clamp down on shirt pulling, holding and blatant cheating or dirty tackling but let the rest go and let the game be played in the spirit of its invention.

In my ignorance I do not know the 4th official's job, apart from subs (could be done by linesman) stopping managers from kicking lumps out of each other, spoilsport (could be done by police) and I therefore think they could watch a telecast of the match, alerting the ref that the ball did go over the line/a dive/bad tackle etc. Unlike rugby where there are 20 bodies in a pile, where the ball is being kept up from being grounded and many camera angles are required to award the try, in football this rarely happens. The camera sees the ball over the line, the dive,the tackle and the ref/ linesman does not, so the 4th official gives a call to the ref and, hey presto, the goal etc, is correctly awarded. The game is already called back for infringements, by the refs, if advantage does not take place, so where is the problem?

The sin bin and 10 yard rule, however, is a must. The 10 yard rule to cut out the backchat to the ref. Each outburst resulting in the free kick going another 10 yards nearer the goal area and maybe resulting in a penalty kick. I can see Smith tying a gag round Ferguson's mouth as he crosses the line onto the park, at the start of every match!

The sin bin is a great idea and should have a varying time there, dictated by the ref. This action would not then deprive us, the spectators, of enjoyment of the match. A red card for a second yellow can often be harsh and sin bin could be an alternative. Sending off, if you think of it as a fitting punishment, is nonsense! Esson gets sent off in the first minute, we lose 89 minutes of the player, he gets sent off in the 89th minute and we lose nothing! In the latter situation, in the next game an equally good player is on in his place, so what is the penalty of the red card? Esson comes back 2 games later refreshed and raring to go! Big deal. The following match should be played with 10 men for 89 minutes, in my opinion.

Whilst I am on my soapbox, I also think it is totally unfair that a bad tackle gets a yellow card and the innocent, injured player, is then off the park for treatment, with the team that has created the damage being rewarded by having an extra man on the park during this time. My solution, to be even handed - the player that caused the problem, the yellow carded player - should stand on the sidelines until the injured player returns.

Now ref, argue against my thinking!

seems the SFA do use video evidence after the fact, when it suits. Im for it in prinicple as long as it doesnt delay the game.

Maybe they could set up a system where clubs get say 10 occasions during a season to refer to video evidence which relates to sending offs, yelow cards etc.

Its a hard one to introduce, but im for it

Just found this response to an email I sent about Steve Conroy.

"The Scottish FA deploys a neutral referee observer to virtually all SPL, SFL and Scottish Cup matches.

When the match report is received here at the Referee Development Department it is analysed and if there are any issues which may cause us concern, and there have been many this season, then the referee is contacted and allowed to offer his opinion and is guided and coached accordingly.

All referees within the senior grade in Scotland are accountable and are closely assessed match by match and come the end of each season their performances are discussed in detail by our Referee Committee."

I love this bit.

"However football is a game of opinion and yours is respected and duly noted. "

Duly noted, eh? :thumb04: :rotflmao: