FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Under 21 Rule

CaleyP

I was just wondering if people agree with the rule of having to have three under 21's in the team whether it be on the bench or starting?

I personally don't agree with it as it forces managers to bring youths who aren't good enough or are far from ready from the 19's up to the first team for the sake of it. If they are good enough then great but if not I don't think this does any favours to scottish football like people may think it does...for example these players who are taken up hardly ever get used to play, Vigurs and Duff our two best youths to come through from the 19's in years hardly get a game so what chance do the players that aren't that great have, and from what i've seen and heard the 19's players looking to get contracts are nowhere near the standard of Vigurs and Duff so whats the point. This rule stops the players going to the appropriate level and playing competitive football and learning their trade to hopefully become good players. We must have at least 50 youngsters in the SPL not playing at all apart from the reserve league which most of them can't stand playing in because it's the least inspiring football ever. If these players were playing for teams in the 1st, 2nd division then they would be playing competitve games which is far more appealing and benificial to them. If these players then prove themselves at this level then the cream will rise to the top giving Scotland a better standard of player.

I want young players to be playing not warming a bench for the sake of it, that helps nobody at the end of the day.

Edited by CaleyP

Stupid rule. Deprives some senior players of a place in the team when they perhaps merit it.

They should only be in the team if their good enough to play.

Or maybe the under 21 rule has nothing to do with it and these under 21 players are showing more determination aggresion and enthusiasm to play compared to the older squad members. if terry butcher didn think these guys were good enough they would have joined dale gillespie at elgin city by now.