FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Windows Live Messenger/ie Issue

SMEE

Howdy folks, can anyone tell me how, i can stop links cliked in Windows live messenger emails from opening in Internet Explorer? I made Firefox my default browser, and more often than not, the links i am clicking on are failing to open with IE anyway. So...i want them to open with Firefox

Any help appreciated!

Same thing used to happen to me. What i done was go to "Set Program Access and Defaults" after i clicked the start button. I then went to custom and changed my default browser to Firefox and that seemed to work for me.

If you have vista, ten am not sure how you can get into the "Set program access and Defaults" but am sure it can be easily found va control panel.

Another option that worked was uninstalling and reinstalling windows live messnger. Thats like the last resort.

Av tried everything you suggest CM. Still the same. Even done the uninstall/reinstall thing too....but no joy. It is determined to try and open in IE....and failing more often then not!

Av tried everything you suggest CM. Still the same. Even done the uninstall/reinstall thing too....but no joy. It is determined to try and open in IE....and failing more often then not!

Are you using Vista or XP?

I done a system restore a few weeks back and when i installed it again, then it worked :lol:

Just copy the like and paste it into the firefox toolbar. Might be annoying but its better than nothing.

OK Smee, firstly - open up My Computer.

Click Tools > Folder Options > File Types

Not too far from the top you'll see the entry Extensions: (NONE), File Types: Internet Shortcut - Highlight this by clicking on it once, then click on Advanced.

In this next window, highlight Open by clicking on it once and click Edit. In the "Application used to perform action" field, enter the following including the quote marks: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" (or point it to where-ever your Firefox.exe is - I've given the default location there) Click OK once this is in place, then Click Apply and OK.

Any links should now open in Firefox, not just from WLM, but any program at all.

Jay, thanx for your reply, but...i followed your instruction, and guess what...its still trying to open links in IE!

Can you check that the changes that you've made are still in place? That change should have definitely forced all links to open in Firefox, even if they were opened in Internet Explorer.