FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Liverpool Beachball

culduthel

Hilarious! Liverpool fans get their comeuppance. Dorks!

Mind you they discover later that the ref. should have stopped the game and restarted with a bounce up where the "outside disturbance" occurred - more or less on the six yard line. That would have been interesting.

I reckon the ref. made the right call in the end. Sunderland deserved a goal and the win.

"Hilarious! Liverpool fans get their comeuppance. Dorks!"

Please elaborate as to why:

1. They got their comeuppance

2. Why they are all dorks

The "GOAL" was scored after just 5 minutes so how can you say that Sunderland deserved the goal. I will agree that over the whole game Sunderland deserved the win but the goal should not have been given. You obviously have a deep knowledge of all things football south of the border, so please enlighten us with the reasons for your pathetic outburst.

PS: Yes, as well as ICT I support Liverpool.

Apparently the Liverpool store has sold out of beachballs and Man United fans are rumoured to have snapped them all up and will be throwing them onto the pitch this Sunday ;)

I heard about that aswel. The Mau Utd fans are going to be searched for beachballs when they go into the ground. It would have been funny to see them all throwing the balls on the pitch. Though i think the ref would stop the game untill all of the beachballs were off the pitch especially after last week

The referee clearly made the wrong call on allowing the goal to stand, but you have to admit that there's a little poetic justice in the fact it was thrown by a Liverpool fan and it cost his own team.

Poor lad will cowering in a corner somewhere afraid to show his face ;)

The referee clearly made the wrong call on allowing the goal to stand, but you have to admit that there's a little poetic justice in the fact it was thrown by a Liverpool fan and it cost his own team.

Poor lad will cowering in a corner somewhere afraid to show his face :lol:

I saw a replay of it on sky sports and just before the goal Reina saw the beachball on the pitch so he went and put it in the back of the net. The wind blew the ball back out at the same time sunderland were starting the attack that led to the goal so Reina never got another chance to kick it away

Still a stupid liverpool fan. We never deserved the 3 points anyway but things could have been so much different

How could the ref have made the right call when the rules clearly state the goal shouldn't have stood ? ;)

When you read the rule it is open to interpretation as to what would constitute a disturbance in a match. It also would not be a rule that would be front of mind in the heat of the moment when this event occurred. The referees that commented on and criticised the decision later in the day had the advantage of being able to refer back to the rule book before commenting. They also had the advantage of having the moment replayed back to them on TV. When the goal was scored even the commentators covering the match did not notice what had happened until they had seen the replay. Thus on the spur of the moment I think he made the right call. The ball was in the back of the net.

"Hilarious! Liverpool fans get their comeuppance. Dorks!"

Please elaborate as to why:

1. They got their comeuppance

2. Why they are all dorks

The "GOAL" was scored after just 5 minutes so how can you say that Sunderland deserved the goal. I will agree that over the whole game Sunderland deserved the win but the goal should not have been given. You obviously have a deep knowledge of all things football south of the border, so please enlighten us with the reasons for your pathetic outburst.

PS: Yes, as well as ICT I support Liverpool.

Oz647 - Yes, I can see how my post would seem like a pathetic outburst to a Liverpool fan ( not a totally unintended consequence of my post by the way) but to others, like me, I assumed they would see the funny/hilarious side to it all, especially if like me they are Man. United fans. The follow up comments by others on the post seem to bare this assumption out.

The fans got their comeuppance because they threw the beachball onto the park in the first place. As to being dorks, I thought that was a generally accepted fact.

I do not claim to have a deep knowledge of all things football south of the border - but I did live there for four years attending Premier matches almost every weekend of the season. So I do feel very comfortable commenting on events.

Main reason for my pathetic outburst - always happy to rile up a Liverpool fan. I am sure one day soon you will have the opportunity to retaliate - maybe even this weekend!?!

However my prediction is United by two!