FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Coyle to Bolton

starchief

Seems likely Coyle will be joining Bolton from Burnley

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/...ers/8439458.stm

I can't see this as anything other than a bad move. It's going to be a real struggle to keep Bolton up. Sure, it'll also be a struggle to keep Burnley up too but if he does, or even if he makes it competitive, then a better job will undoubtedly come along. If Bolton are relegated though, that's just a failure. Also, how does he tell his players to keep battling away, when Coyle's quite happy with ditching his players midway through a season when the going gets a bit tougher?

Very difficult decision for him - Bolton are a bigger club, with much more potential than Burnley.

I agree that if he keeps Burnley in the top flight, there won't be any shortage of job offers for him. I think he should stay put for the time being.

Rooster and Robbo spring to mind here.. And look where it got them, stick to what they know, Burnley are a great wee team and not doing as bad as a lot of folk thought, Bolton on the other hand are an up and down team..

Other than Coyle being a former player at Bolton I can't possibly see what other attraction he would have in going there. I also don't think Bolton are a bigger club or have more potential than Burnley, I would say they are on a par with each other. Coyle has done very well at Burnley and I don't think his job is finished there yet. It would be a shame if he jumped ship now.

I also don't think Bolton are a bigger club or have more potential than Burnley, I would say they are on a par with each other/b][. Coyle has done very well at Burnley and I don't think his job is finished there yet. It would be a shame if he jumped ship now.

Totally agree with the whole quote put there.

Don't regard Bolton as a better team than Burnley, and have been saying for the last few seasons that they've exceeded their welcome in the Premiership and will be going down soon. I think this will be the season it happens. They don't play attractive football, and are typically a boring team to watch. While the same could be said for Burnley at times, they at least seem to have a great team spirit amongst them and can be credited with a lot of battling displays, especially against the big boys.

Be a shame if he does go as he's done a great job at Burnley. Taken them up against all expectations and has a team full of hard working, spirited players who fight tooth and nail for each other.

But he is a former Bolton player and if he does well there and gets some money for transfers and wages then he might get a big job after.

However should Burnley get relegated I'd think he'd keep his job. If Bolton do, well its touch and go. Also there would be a massive job to rebuilt Bolton if they did go down I imagine, whereas Burnley are pretty much a championship team on championship wages.

He's a bit of a mercanary in my view. Does well at St Johnstone, bigger job, leaves straight away. Does great at Burnley, slightly bigger club comes in and he wants to go.

I'd warn Bolton fans that if he does well they will not keep him for long.

Other than Coyle being a former player at Bolton I can't possibly see what other attraction he would have in going there. I also don't think Bolton are a bigger club or have more potential than Burnley, I would say they are on a par with each other. Coyle has done very well at Burnley and I don't think his job is finished there yet. It would be a shame if he jumped ship now.

I agree with that.

A friend, in the know, tells me that there's a link between chairmen in all this. Apparantly it was the Bolton chairman who recommended Coyle to Burnley and some think this was to blood him with a smaller club so he'd be prepared to step into the Bolton hot seat.

Owen Coyle was quoted as saying just last week that he was "privileged to be building something special" at Burnley, he also acknowledged that Bolton would "always have a special place in my heart". Perhaps more pertinently, he also reflected that: "Bolton have about three times Burnley's budget."

I think the stumbling block here will be the 3 Million fee Bolton would have to pay Burnley for Coyle's services. He is only about 6 months into a 5 year contract at Turf Moor.

I wonder if they are aware it would cost them much less to sign up Terry Butcher?

Edited by Johnboy

I think that Coyle should of stayed at Burnley.

Although I can understand why he did leave, as he was a good player for them.

It is a big gamble moving to Bolton.

Burnley were playing good football under Coyle, and were a solid team, that were hard to break down. It's going to be a big challenge for Coyle to get the Bolton players playing the way he wants them to, and getting them playing well together.

And, according to Megson on football focus last saturday, he said that Bolton didn't have that much money to spend in January, so he wont be able to bring in any big players . He will have to work with the ones he's got. Or maybe, he will bring a few of his ex players to Bolton.

In my Oppion, it isn't worth the gamble. He had more chance of keeping Burnley up, than Bolton.

I just can't get my head round this one. I am totally amazed. OC has committed character suicide. Burnley for Bolton. It is exactly like Paterson to Aberdeen, Robertson to Hearts and Rooster to the Tangerine Dream. Sometimes it is better to stick with the devil you know rather than the devil you don't. That's probably a bit unfair on our guys. Steve, Robbo and the Rooster (first time round) had great teams. So good in fact that Stevies goalkeeper actually built my folks new fireplace whilst concurrently beating Celtic. All in a days work for the average Grantownian..... I digress. I also once punched his son in the face... 200 lines. I will not punch the B team goalkeeper and the son of the only footballing genius this town has ever produced in the face for pinging my ears and then push him down a set of stone stairs... I?d probably be up in front of the Children?s panel nowadays.

Just been reading the Clarets fan page. These guys are really upset. This is a guy who has brought the whole community together, built a reputation on clean living and integrity, taken a very average side, turned them into a great team, gained promotion to the Premiership, won some really big games (lost mostly on the road...sound familiar) and then...and then just walked away. OC has left a trail of complete devastation behind him. If I was a junior Claret this week would be the week the dream fully died. I now have no faith in the integrity of football players/managers.... but then there is St. Maurice of Malpas. 8,000,000 games for the Tangerine Dream. Total commitment, totally brilliant. Reminds me also of a certain Rossco Tokely.

By the way has anyone seen Terry since OC left Burnley. He isn?t working in his garden is he?