FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Kilmarnock -V- ICT : matchday thread

Scotty

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Rooney had another sound game on Saturday. He does not give defenders much time and hassles away which hides his lack of searing pace. Connor Sammon on the other hand showed Bully and Grantie and Lionel a clean pair of heels on a number of occasions. Kyle was also a handful with his height and his ball holdiing ability. Did Killie deserve to win...................well, they took their chances and we never took ours, if that means they deserved to win then fairynuff, but 3-0 certainly flatters them. Good luck to them though, they will need it. Cammy Bell did have a great game, the Foran volley being the pick of the bunch, some of the others were TV saves, but save them he did. Foran was my MoM he was tireless at both ends of the park and on another day might have scored a hat-trick. Likewise Rooney, still needs that vital composure at times, but he is still a bit green between the ears.

Maybe we should get back to the Motherwell formation, with Proc at right back and Tokely at left back. That worked well and I would have no hesitation sticking Russelldinho in beside Cox.

Jimmy says aye to a Killie pie

That's not a strike rate, which has already been explained. A strike rate is goals per shots, not goals per games.

I think you will find you are wrong. In terms of football, the strike rate is a goals per game ratio.

It is widely accepted that goals per game is the ratio used in official stats all over the place including ICT's official stats. I have a slight issue with that as it doesnt always take account of minutes played (ie. whether the player was in the starting lineup or came on as an 89th minute sub !) but thats the criteria that is in use.

A ratio of Goals/Shots on a game by game basis might be more accurate but then you would just have people arguing about whether one particular effort was a "shot at goal" or not .... so it too is not perfect.

Barrowman can score goals, that is not in doubt given his 29 goals in the 2nd division, but is it our style of play? or is it him finding his level? A certain Rory McAllister is top scorer in his division right now (if not in the entire country) and we all know he could score goals in our reserves but came up dry most times he was added to the first team ..... Rooney has a better strike rate but it still doesnt come close to that of our best strikers like Wyness, Stewart, Dargo etc.

I've just seen the highlights. Lionel oh dear. What was the defensive line up v Motherwell. We were pretty solid that night?

We were fecking brilliant against Motherwell..

Unfortunately you're not the only one who has forgotten how we lined up that night.

I find it strange that Butcher has any time for Lionel at all. Butcher himself was a superb and committed defender, always attacked the ball, never messed around with the ball and always got back into position quickly. You would think he would value defenders who demonstrate the no nonsense approach he demonstrated and so you would think he would take one look at Lionel and say there is no way he is going near the back four. It is totally beyond me how Butcher rated Lionel higher than Hastings.

Whilst the 3rd goal was a shocking error, you could possibly put that down to a simple lack of awareness of where the Killie player was, but what I found more disappointing was the first goal. After completely mishitting a clearance he just stood and watched what unfolded after. That is simply unforgivable. The higlights reply shows him slowly ambling back into the box. Having made the error he should have quickly got back into position when he would have been in a position to mop up the mess he created. Someone else said earlier that Munro plays worse when Lionel is playing and that is spot on. He can have no confidence if he has to keep covering and get himself caught out of position.

I find it strange that Butcher has any time for Lionel at all. Butcher himself was a superb and committed defender, always attacked the ball, never messed around with the ball and always got back into position quickly. You would think he would value defenders who demonstrate the no nonsense approach he demonstrated and so you would think he would take one look at Lionel and say there is no way he is going near the back four. It is totally beyond me how Butcher rated Lionel higher than Hastings.

Whilst the 3rd goal was a shocking error, you could possibly put that down to a simple lack of awareness of where the Killie player was, but what I found more disappointing was the first goal. After completely mishitting a clearance he just stood and watched what unfolded after. That is simply unforgivable. The higlights reply shows him slowly ambling back into the box. Having made the error he should have quickly got back into position when he would have been in a position to mop up the mess he created. Someone else said earlier that Munro plays worse when Lionel is playing and that is spot on. He can have no confidence if he has to keep covering and get himself caught out of position.

I've thought myself quite a few times as well but not just when it comes to Lionel. As you've said, you'd think that having a management duo who were both such accomplished defenders would lead to ICT having if anything a very strong defence. You'd think that even if other parts of the squad wasn't quite as good, the defence would be the one place that would be secure, but it isn't. And I find it odd that this is the case.

Edited by Renegade

Since IHE hasn't done his smileyometer here's mine

Esson :( :(

Maybe a bit harsh on Esson but I think he was suspect for the first 2 goals. If he stays on his line for the first one it's not in and he had plenty of time to get across the goal for the second even if there was a deflection.

Tokely :( :(

I love the guy but I think he's had a really poor season so far, missing preseason through injury can't have helped but he didn't offer anything in defence or attach from the full back position.

Munro :( :(

Bad day at the office, he seemed to be matched up with Kyle but there was only one winner when the ball was in the air. I think it's the worst I've seen Munro play since he was moved to left back against Hearts last season... one of my favourite players but he seemed to run out of ideas on how to defend against the human battering ram

Bulvatis :(

Poor, I think he's got a great future at ICT and delighted we've signed him for at least the remainder of the season but he was all over the place on Saturday. Didn't know when to press or stand off his man, beaten for pace and power by Sammon. I don't know if he was hooked because of injury or if Butcher just realised he wasn't at it

Djebi-Zadi :(

I feel sorry for the guy because there are moments when he gets the ball and he looks like a proper top class full back but the next moment he throws it in our net. I haven't seen enough of Shinnie to say whether he's a better option but he can't be much worse.

Proctor :) :) :) :) :)

I think he's finally found his suited position, out of all the decent performers on Saturday I thought he was most impressive. He looked composed on the ball, never waisted possesion and showed he's not scared of getting stuck in. 1 tackle in particular infront of the dugout was a proper all hands on deck 50-50, I thought Proctors skinny frame was going to be snapped but he came on top and carried on as if it was nothing. Keep it up

Cox :) :) :) :)

Similar to Proctor, I thought Sanchez was having a great game until I realised Cox has grown his hair back. Full of energy and looked to have a good partnership with Proctor in the centre, bossed the midfield

Hayes :) :) :) :)

Even if he had signed a contract for next season I doubt we could keep him. He is electric, plenty of skill and he never stops running... I'll be suprised if he hasn't got a choice of SPL clubs by the end of the season. On Saturday he was running himself into the ground by the second half but a true gem of a find by Butcher.

Sanchez :( :(

Doesn't do enough for me... infact doesn't do anything. I think you have to ask why is he always the first person to be subbed and would we not be better starting with the player he's subbed on for. Can't remember him doing anything but lose the ball throughout his time on the park.

Foran :) :) :) :)

Worked hard, isn't as good as he thinks he is but he worked his erse off in the second half and came closest to scoring.

Rooney :) :) :) :)

I'm a massive fan of Rooney... runs channels, holds the play and tries to take defenders on when he gets a chance. He had no support from Sanchez which left him a drift and chasing lost causes at times but IMO he is a player of real potential and we should be looking to build our future around him.

Subs

Obdhiambo :) :)

Lost the ball on a couple of occasions but gets 2 smileys for that drilled volley

Duncan :)

Not much to comment on

Eagles

My mate was driving so couldn't stick about to see his cameo... any good??

Basically some of our players played really well and some were an abomination. Good day out though :)