FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

CPU and Graphics card.

DornochCaley

Right, i have a pretty poor graphics card. One of those MirageS 3 ones or whatever it is.

My CPU is also Intel Pentium Duel - E2160 - 1.80GHz. Running on a 32-bit.

Im looking for a new graphics card and CPU. I do not want a top of the range. Just enough so my computer is a bit faster, i can play Football Manager 2010 and Total War games.

Any ideas for a decent CPU and Graphics card which will not cost a fotune?

Right, i have a pretty poor graphics card. One of those MirageS 3 ones or whatever it is.

Im looking for a new graphics card and CPU. I do not want a top of the range. Just enough so my computer is a bit faster, i can play Football Manager 2010 and Total War games.

Short answer: no

The reason: the CPU is a licensed component as far as your Windows installation is concerned. If you were to upgrade your CPU, you'll find that 30 days down the line, Windows will decide to stop playing ball until you purchase a new license for it.

So, the question is, how much of a budget do you have to upgrade your computer - because what ever your budgeting for, if a CPU upgrade is on the cards, you can put ?70-odd to the side for a new Windows license.

Short answer: no

The reason: the CPU is a licensed component as far as your Windows installation is concerned. If you were to upgrade your CPU, you'll find that 30 days down the line, Windows will decide to stop playing ball until you purchase a new license for it.

So, the question is, how much of a budget do you have to upgrade your computer - because what ever your budgeting for, if a CPU upgrade is on the cards, you can put ?70-odd to the side for a new Windows license.

For the love of God. I hate Microsoft. They do anything for a few quid. If i just bumped up my Ram the, would it be any better?

For the love of God. I hate Microsoft. They do anything for a few quid. If i just bumped up my Ram the, would it be any better?

Yes - If you're using a 32-bit operating system, the maximum theoretical RAM that you'll be able to use is slightly over 3GB. That's not to say that your motherboard is agreeable to using that much.

Use Crucial.com's memory tool - it'll tell you what options are open to you.

Yes - If you're using a 32-bit operating system, the maximum theoretical RAM that you'll be able to use is slightly over 3GB. That's not to say that your motherboard is agreeable to using that much.

Use Crucial.com's memory tool - it'll tell you what options are open to you.

Ok, i have bought 2GB of Ram for my computer......

Do you have any ideas of Graphics cards?

Edited by DornochCaley

Do you have any ideas of Graphics cards?

:lol: Honestly, do you really have to ask?...

What's your budget, and do you have a preference between ATi or Nvidia?

Well i dont have to ask, but i prefere to... I can go anywhere upto 80, but i would rather not spend that much. I have no prefrence.

Well i dont have to ask, but i prefere to... I can go anywhere upto 80, but i would rather not spend that much. I have no prefrence.

Looks like a few good deals available out there, but here's the highlights:

Nvidia

Zotac GT240 Zone Edition - ?74.17

ATi

Sapphire HD 5670 - ?68.73

Also Ran: (these are slightly older generation cards but still do the trick very nicely indeed - saving you a bit of cash)

Nvidia

Inno3D 9600GT Green Edition - ?62.35

ATi

Sapphire HD 4670 - ?57.15

Edited by Jay_7

Looks like a few good deals available out there, but here's the highlights:

Nvidia

Zotac GT240 Zone Edition - ?74.17

ATi

Sapphire HD 5670 - ?68.73

Also Ran: (these are slightly older generation cards but still do the trick very nicely indeed - saving you a bit of cash)

Nvidia

Inno3D 9600GT Green Edition - ?62.35

ATi

Sapphire HD 4670 - ?57.15

Ahh great as per usual Jay...Cheers!