FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scotland Squad

Caley Stan

Goalkeepers:

Alexander (Rangers), Marshall (Cardiff) McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders:

Hutton (Tottenham), Berra (Wolves), Broadfoot (Rangers), McManus (Middlesbrough), Wallace (Hearts), Webster (Rangers), Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders:

Adam (Blackpool), Brown (Celtic), Dorrans (West Brom), Fletcher (Manchester United), McCulloch (Rangers), Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Robson (Middlesbrough), Thomson (Middlesbrough)

Forwards:

Boyd (Middlesbrough), Fletcher (Wolves), Iwelumo (Burnley), McFadden (Birmingham), Miller (Rangers)

Edited by Caley Stan

What's this squad for?

They should have the rest of Europe quaking in their boots.

A friendly in Sweden.

There isn't much to argue about with this squad. I can't think of any notable absentess besides Maloney, O'Conner and McCormack but they all suffered form a combination of injuries and poor form last season.

I don't think it's a bad squad - we just look very weak in the centre of defence but i suppose we're all used to that by now.

That could be a difficult team to beat if Levein plays a more (unfortunately) negative game.

McGregor

Hutton - Berra - Webster - Whittaker

Robson - Fletcher - Thomson - Adam - Dorrans

Fletcher

McGregor the first choice keeper at Rangers and better than Marshall, so gets the gloves. Thomson is better in the holding role than Brown, so gets the nod. He also isn't attacking enough, so Charlie Adam gets his chance. Fletcher in the lone striking role but Dorrans and Robson can both get forward, as can Adam. I'd bring on McFadden and Boyd to switch to a 4-4-2 at half-time. Got to get to know players and system for a friendly, rather than all-out to win the game.

McGregor should never have been allowed to represent our nation again .

its a good thing mcgregors not band anymore, if he was our keeper choice would be shocking and marshall might be good in 2 or 3 year but he make to many mistakes atm and alexander although being a good 2nd choice at rangers when he doesnt get 5-10 games through the year he doesnt do very well

McGregor

***deleted comment***

He should be kicked out of Scotland all together

Edited by Scotty
whilst many may agree with your sentiments, please do not use the 'c' word on this site. It is one of the words in our swear filter and your adjustment of the spelling shows you were well aware not to use it.
  • Disagree 1

Agreed! I thought a life time ban meant for life. As usual different rules for Rangers players.:_thumbdown:

Wow, poor Allan really upset you boys. Was it getting drunk and giving the fingers to media that upset you so much, or has he messing with your wives?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It was giving the fingers to the Scottish nation that did it for me .

He was being filmed by television cameras and stuck his fingers up in a very childish way. He has since apologised and is now back in the Scotland squad. It's not a big deal and i don't think too many Scotland fans will see it as a big deal. Unfortunately, a small, Sun-reading part of the population is offended and outraged by McGregor's actions and wants to see him hung by his baws for treason. Get a grip.

Agreed! I thought a life time ban meant for life. As usual different rules for Rangers players.:_thumbdown:

Wow, poor Allan really upset you boys. Was it getting drunk and giving the fingers to media that upset you so much, or has he messing with your wives?

It was giving the fingers to the Scottish nation that did it for me .

Yawn, so he made a petulant childish mistake. He's apologised and hopefully learnt from it. Think its about time to get over it. If he's the best available and willing to give his all then Im fine so long as he takes his 2nd chance and doesn't make a mistake like that again. The whole LIFE ban was a joke anyway. It was blown way out of proportion by the tabloid media and the mugs who take it all in. If Levein is happy then so am I.

We got over the fact that Gary O'Conner missed the trip to Ukraine and never even bothered to apologise because of "family issues" (out on the **** from what I hear)

Everyone makes mistakes in life. Some people take things way too much to heart. All this nonsense about insulting and betraying his nation? Oh c'mon really?!

Back on business Im quite satisfied with the Squad. Probably as strong as we can hope for. Suprised to maybe not see Conway or Goodwillie there. And O'Conner has had a good pre season thus far. Bit of a Boro/Gers XI.

Reckon it'll line up with:

- The "Traitor" -

- Hutton - Webster - Berra - Wallace -

- D. Fletcher - Thompson -

- Brown -

- Dorrans - McFadden -

- Miller* -

*reckon he'll get the nod but him or Flecher would do nicely. Half each. Fletcher needs to get some games under his belt. Boyd is best used against weaker teams for goals and at home. Away we need runners and creativity.

Be interesting to see what Craig Levien goes with. He's had alot to say over the last year and I wanna see how we crack on from the Czech game.

Edited by Scotty

- The "Traitor" -

- Hutton - Webster - Berra - Wallace -

- D. Fletcher - Thompson -

- Brown -

- Dorrans - McFadden -

- Miller* -

*reckon he'll get the nod but him or Flecher would do nicely. Half each. Fletcher needs to get some games under his belt. Boyd is best used against weaker teams for goals and at home. Away we need runners and creativity.

That's the team and formation i'd go for. I'd also like to see Robson, Whittaker and McManus getting a run out.

Nah, way too early for Wilson. I doubt he'd have been first pick for Rangers and he'll struggle to get anything other than a 'squad' game for Liverpool (a CIS cup or whatever it's called or some meaningless game before a Euro tie). I'd like to have seen Riordan in the squad.

Is this a Scotland squad or a Rangers reunion?

As for McGregor, I agree with the person who said the fingers was a childish mistake. I dont think he was signing to the Scottish fans. I think the fingers were solely for the snooping cameras.

I do, however, think he should have been kicked out for the piss-up antics during a training camp. But, as he's the best we've got available I'm glad he has been called back in.

Is this a Scotland squad or a Rangers reunion?

Yeah I pointed out that myself. A huge amount of Rangers and Boro players in the squad. I can't really argue with any of them mind, except maybe Broadfoot. If Boyd and Thompson hadn't went to Boro there'd be 9 Gers players in the team by my reckoning.

Think it's a bit early for Wilson as a centre half. He's just 18 and whilst should be kept under consideration, should be allowed to work on getting into the Liverpool team. If he does that then he'll merit a squad place.

I've always been in 2 minds about Riordan. Whilst he is one of the most natural finishers in the country, he has less of a work ethic than Kris Boyd and none of his physical presence either.

Wouldn't mind having another look at Snodgrass and George Boyd, hopefully a B international might be arranged at some point.

Personally I don't mind how many players are picked from the same team as long as they are playing well and are the best players that we can pick to pull on a Scottish jersey and they play for it.

MacGregor made amistake and was big enough to apologise and admit he made a mistake, I think he was massively influenced by Barry 'Pigeon Chest' Ferguson who is one player I am glad is out of the international scene. I'm sure there are many that will disagree with me on this but we reliedon him far too much and he gave very little in a large number of games.

The only criticism of this squad I have is the choice of Iwelumo!! Please can someone tell me what he offers the squad and if you look at the other strikers he is the 5th choice meaning he really is just making up the numbers. Surely if this is the case we should be including a younger player who would learn from being part of an international squad event though he may not play.

The only criticism of this squad I have is the choice of Iwelumo!! Please can someone tell me what he offers the squad and if you look at the other strikers he is the 5th choice meaning he really is just making up the numbers. Surely if this is the case we should be including a younger player who would learn from being part of an international squad event though he may not play.

Iwelumo's a big strong target man and the only player of his kind in the squad. Craig Levein has had similar types in all of his teams from de Vries at Hearts all the way through to Daly at United. Scotland need the option that a target man brings. When Burley brought Iwelumo on against Norway it was the correct decision. We were losing the ball in midfield and needed the outlet that the long ball to Iwelumo brought. He actually won a lot in the air when he came on which instrumental in allowing us to get into the game but nobody remembers that. I don't think Iwelumo will be 5th choice striker under Levein. He's a genuine option and unless Kevin Kyle or Garry O'Conner show superior form then he'll stay in the squad.

Iwelumo scored today which is more than Boyd did

He'll score more goals than Boyd in the Championship if he avoids injury - i'm convinced of that. Boyd isn't going to have his own way with Championship defenders and if Boro struggle then he'll be the first to be benched. Iwelumo, on the other hand, has been scoring goals in that league for years and will be an automatic pick for Burnley.